• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spkdonna

spkdonna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:35 PM

This is my first post so here goes.  Was dx 10-2010.  No prescription insurance.  I am presently on the Novartis Patient Assistance program.  Was informed that they will no longer have the co-pay program of $243.00 pr month but that I was grandfathered in until Nov 1st.  The cost of Tasigna will be $8,800 per month or $5,200 if I go to Canada.  I will be eligible for medicare in 15 months.  Our income  is too high to qualify for any subsidies or entitlement programs. Any suggestions  would be greatly appreciated.   

#2 kenb

kenb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:28 PM

Donna,

There are ongoing trials which suggest that 300mg of Tasigna has the same efficacy as 400mg.  It might be worth discussing with your Onc as this might offer a cost savings opportunity.  Be nice to hear from Trey on this subject.

Ken

#3 starlago

starlago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

Donna,

I was in the same boat a year ago, but did know my predicament from the get-go.  My local oncologist (Dallas) got me in a clinical trial at MD Anderson (Houston).  Although the medical costs are the same, the drugs are free.  I began Sprycel as a first-line defense within a month of my diagnosis.

I don't know if it will make a difference that you have already begun treatment with a TKI, but worth a try.   Hopefully your oncologist knows the ropes.

#4 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:55 PM

Hi, Donna,

I'm just going to throw this out here in case you have the same type of insurance situation I have. Even though I have pretty good insurance, I don't have a prescription drug plan either. It didn't matter at first because my husband's plan did, so I used his. However, when his job was eliminated not quite a year after I was diagnosed I had to determine what I could do using my insurance alone.

I knew that even though I didn't have a prescription plan our major medical covered drugs, but you had to pay a 20% co-pay. What I didn't realize, until I talked to HR, was that I only had to pay the 20% up to our out of pocket limit. After that, major medical picked up 100% of the cost of any drugs. Of course, with our drugs, that meant I fulfill my out of pocket in January.

Just wanted to make sure you check to see if your drugs can be covered under your major medical if you haven't.

Good luck!

Pat

P. S. I'm on Sprycel and the last shipment was over $8,000 for 30 pills. It just takes your breath away!

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#5 starlago

starlago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:43 PM

I wish Pat's math had worked for me.  Instead, my plan had a $3000/yr CAP, so after January's copay, I was responsible for 100% February-December.  I suspect that is the boat Donna is in.

Donna, read Ken's post closely...perhaps it's in the way you inquire.

K

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users