• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cjones212

cjones212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

Hello... I was diagnosed with CML in November of 2010, started 400mg of Gleevec daily in early December, so I am still a bit of a newbie to all of this.

The Gleevec has definitely helped, my WBC are below normal, a big change from my initial diagnosis.  I had a bad bout of anemia, but had some iron iv infusions and now just slightly below normal.  My doctor has been pleased and is already only seeing me every three months (lab work once a month).

As you all know, my body has been doing some pretty crazy things.  Bathroom issues, nausea from the meds, low grade fever, bruising... Nothing too severe, just new and (I guess) permanent change to my world.  I have been able to handle most things with over the counter remedies and the tips from this discussion group.

One thing that is challenging though is night sweats.  I have tried lower temps in my bedroom, and not much in the way of sleepwear, but they still persist.  I can be chilly when I get into bed, but wake up in a puddle.  Friends have suggested that i should take OTC medicine for fevers before I go to bed, but I don't want to start that every night if there is another remedy that I haven't tried.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Xtopher

PS - Thanks to everyone who is contributing to these discussion boards.  It has been a lifesaver for me to know that you understand the good days, and the rotten days.  Even if this is my first post, I have been "lurking" since the beginning.

#2 SunNsand

SunNsand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:17 PM

Hi Christopher and welcome!

I don't have an answer for you, only a suggestion to hang in there. My night sweats diminished probably by about the 6th month on Gleevec, so hopefully, they will soon be gone for you too.

SunNsand

#3 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

You aren't alone with the night sweats. Just over three years since my dx. and I still get them. First Gleevec and now have been on Tasigna for 1 1/2 years. Only help I can give is to keep spare sleeping clothes (if you wear any) close at hand & change if you wake up during the night.

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

#4 cjones212

cjones212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:55 PM

Thanks... At least knowing it's not too unusual helps me not worry too much about it!  

#5 everonward

everonward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:23 AM

Hi Christopher

I was dx back in Oct 05 and I still get night sweats. I do find sleeping unrestriced by nightwear helps and keeping sheets and pillows really fresh, frequent changes and a good airing each morning. I also keep te bedroom temp down - although in the UK at present this isn't a problem. In the summer we run air-con to cool the room before sleep.  also find they are worse if I've had a few glasses of white wine or/and eaten spicy food. Which as I love both is a cross I shall bear

As a female who has just entered the menopause phase of her life I also take a muti vitamiin & minerals with soy isoflavones daily (or when I remember - why is it that I never forget my Golden G but sometimes forget this) this too seems to help (which thinking about it is possibly why I sometimes forget to take it - Duh).

ATB

Marian

#6 VickiW

VickiW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationnorthwoods

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

Hi Christopher!

sounds like you are traveling down a similar road to what I tred a few years ago.  I was dxd in March of 07 and started on Geevec.  Same issues as you, bathroom, etc.  All of which got better with time (except the swelling around eyes )  Even the nightsweats got better, for a while.  In my case they just got less frequent.  I would have 1 or 2 night instead of several.  Two years ago I was switched to Sprycel and all of the Gleevec side effects went away or got much milder, except the nightsweats.  I have come to the conclusion that one, at least for me, is just the gift that keeps on giving.  The only thing I can add to all the suggestions already given is this.  I use 2 pillows.  One I start the night with, the other within easy reach beside the bed.  When I wake up all hot and sweaty, being able to grab a dry, cool pillow helps me be able to get back to sleep quickly.  Even if I need to switch out again during the night, the other pillow normally has had enough time to cool down and dry out.  By the way, I use egyptian cotton sheets and pillow cases and really make a difference.

hang in there, we're all here for you!

Vicki

Dxd 2007

started on Gleevec switched to Sprycel 100mg in 2009

PCRU since 2011

20mg Sprycel every other day since Dec. 2014

Began TFR 4-18-16

#7 Stevea

Stevea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

Christopher,

On 4/19/2011 it will be 9 years for me with CML and taking Gleevec and I still have night sweats.  I have tried less cloths and colder room but nothing seems to help so I don't even try anymore!  I just buy new pillows and watch the sheets a lot more often.

Sorry I wasn't much help but if you ever find something that works, please let us know!

Steve

#8 VickiW

VickiW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationnorthwoods

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

Four years in and I still get night sweats, even in the DAY TIME (often in the morning)!!!  (started on Gleevec, now on Sprycel) One thing I have discovered however, at least for me, the frequency of ocurrence/severity is directly related to my diet and/or activity.  Everyone's body chemistry is different so what triggers me may or may not trigger yours so you just have to find out for yourself.

Don't misunderstand, even if I avoid all my known triggers, I still get sweats, just not as frequent or severe (sometimes disappear for several days).  If you're curious, my triggers?  High caffeine (either in coffee or foods) especially in the evening, fatty foods, anything that already naturally "revs up" your body furnace intensifies the sweats, at least for me.  If I want a good night's sleep, I keep my major exercise and/or junk food consumption to a minimum or confine it (like heavy exercise) to early in the day.  I must do some light exercise like a walk (which seems to actually help with the sweats as well) in the evening or my motor/sensory neuropathy worsens which also can make for a long night.  It is quite a balancing act, but thru a lot of  trial and error I have found a way to control the sweats.

Vicki

Dxd 2007

started on Gleevec switched to Sprycel 100mg in 2009

PCRU since 2011

20mg Sprycel every other day since Dec. 2014

Began TFR 4-18-16

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users