• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dee145

dee145

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

I am suppose to take a Aciphex every morning but I do forget.    But been waking up alot with the acid reflux lately so I have been taking it.  Is it on the list of "should not" take?.  Was on omprazole for years but was switched to Aciphex when got diagnosed.  The G I drs say I need it cause of some redness on my esophagus.  They tried me on Nexium but it gave me a headache so maybe that was a good thing.

Thanks, Dee

#2 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:16 PM

Hi Dee:  I heard the Aciphex is good.  Try to remember to take it.  The Gleevec can do a real number on the esophagus, and you do not want to have any erosion of the esophagus.  When I started on Gleevec, and got horrible heartburn I did not associate it with the Gleevec.  I went to see a ENT doctor, and when he examined me right in the office he told me he could see the redness in the esophagus.  He put me on the Nexium right away.  I still take it to this day, but a lot of people had problems with it.  then I went for a EGD to check the esophagus months later, and he said he could see all the healing that the Nexium did for me.

I was glad I got it all checked out.   Good that your seeing a Gastroenterologist to keep monitoring how your doing.  You certainly do not need any more problems.

Take Care

#3 cfoley1215

cfoley1215

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:17 PM

I was on Prilosec with no problem while taking Gleevec. When I was switched to Sprycel and now Tasigna, I have to stick with Zantac, which unfortunately does not work that great for me.

How's your caffeine intake?

#4 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

Hi Susan,

My stories the same as yours. It's on one of these posts. I was on nexium a few years before cml. On G it was really bad Since I went on Sprycel no problem at all.Last Spring I switched to protonix because I take Plavix. I have no problem on S. I had a very close call because reflux damaged my eso. Please don't let this go on. My docs were ready to send me to Pittsburg for Throat Surgery.

LOL Billie

#5 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:39 PM

Hi Billie:  I do not have a problem now with the esophagus.  That was 10 years ago when I started my Gleevec.  I was glad I had it checked out when I did, and did not just think it was a harmless heartburn that I had.  Anyone who has persistent heartburn no matter what drug they are on should get checked thoroughly.

#6 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:40 AM

Hi, Billie,

I didn't want to step on Jadrian's post so I thought I would answer you on here since we are talking about acid reflux meds. I took Prilosec for several years and also when I was on Gleevec, although I had no specific stomach issues on Gleevec. However, when I developed liver toxicity from the G, I was also taken off Prilosec because it is hard on the liver.

How does your onc feel about you being on Sprycel and taking Protonix, which is also a ppi like Prilosec and Nexium, and is contraindicated as they are supposed to reduce the ability of Sprycel to do its job? I suppose there are instances when you just have no other alternative?

Thanks,

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#7 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:33 PM

Dear Pat,

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. If I go off Protonix I'll probably get throat cancer.My esophogist was so badly damaged I have a disease called Barets disease.I can't tell you how many scopes I had at first dx. Sometimes every 2 weeks or once a month.My Doc actually started telling me about surgery I would have had to go to Pittsburg to have it done. I was started on 80mg. of Nexium at dx.Thank God the Nexium started to work and my esophogist started healing. I am so thankful that my doc didn't rush me into surgery. But I have to stay on Protonix the rest of my life. So I have no choice. I get bw from cc every mo. and I get bw every 6 mos from my cardiologist becaus I am on Lipitor I can't go off Lipitor which I know is not good for my liver because my left carotid artery is 100% blocked So surgery is not an option but I know all my Docs have spoken to each other so they keep an eye on my liver (doesn't that sound dumb) So far everything is doing it's job.Then along comes cml I guess God don't want me and the devil won't take me. My PCP keeps telling me It's a full time Job keeping me alive.

I would love nothing more than to go off all these meds.I was taken off Nexium because I take Plavix. So it must be a little bit safer. But I an exeption to the rules when it comes to my meds.                                     LOL Billie.

#8 johndavid

johndavid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:31 PM

Hello Dee,

There's a new all-natural ingredient on the market (Alkalete) that removes the acid that causes acid reflux. Many of these prescription meds do a disservice to the body because they remove the acid but they also remove the "good" acids that the stomach needs to digest food. The OTC drugs cover up the problem instead of getting to the root of the problem. You can get more info at reflux killer dot com. Hope this helps.

Regards,

John

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users