• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Clairepuck@cox.net

Clairepuck@cox.net

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:14 PM

I would like to know if anyone has had the imunization for shingles called Zostavax while taking Tasigna? 

#2 susanlathers

susanlathers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:13 PM

yes, I got that vacine while on Sprycel.  I saw my father suffer so much with shingles and said, no way am I going to take a chance on that one.  Onc ok'd the vacine.

#3 jrsboo

jrsboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

Wow, my onc said no.  And my dad just had a huge bout lasting over a year, poor man.

Caroline

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

The Zostavax manufacturer says those with leukemia should not use it.

http://www.drugs.com/zostavax.html

#5 susanlathers

susanlathers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

Trey -  I read the link you posted and that  states it pretty clear.  I have had this onc for 8 yrs. I know we have to be our own Dr.s in some ways and proactive in our treatment,  but this seems like a very clearly stated, no brainer; "do not use this vacine if you have leukemia", she must not have even looked into it.  I am quite upset and I will  have a hard time trusting her now.  Do you know what the vacine does?  Is it an immediate reaction? Or is it something that could have long term negative effects? I realize you may not have those answers do you know where could I go to answer these questions.  I am so glad you are here to over see what happens on this site.  I would hate to think I encouraged someone to do something that was harmful.

Susan

#6 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:23 PM

Information for Gleevec and Tasigna state that you shouldn't have "live" immmunisations.

Nilotinib (Tasigna)

Immunisations

You should not have immunisations with live vaccines while you are having this treatment or for at least 6 months afterwards. In the UK, these include rubella, mumps, measles (usually given together as MMR), BCG and yellow fever. You can have other vaccines, but they may not give you as much protection as usual until your immune system has fully recovered

http://www.cancerhel...drugs/nilotinib

#7 Clairepuck@cox.net

Clairepuck@cox.net

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for the info, it was my GP who told me to ask the Onc. which I will tomorrow but wanted to discuss with this group first.  I am so happy to be able to get info from people who really understand first hand.  If the Onc. says to get the vacine, I will get another opinion or even another Onc.

Thanks again, Claire

#8 Clairepuck@cox.net

Clairepuck@cox.net

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:17 AM

Thank you for the info and the site.  I see the Onc. tomorrow and now have good info to go in with.  My GP would like me to get the vaccine if the Onc. approves.

#9 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

Having stated the pharmaceutical company's postion on this vaccine in my posting above, let me also say that those of us with CML where it is very well under control (MMR to PCRU), most of these warnings are unnecessary and would not truly apply.  We are no more susceptible to bad outcomes than almost anyone else for most of these issues.  We no longer have a suppressed/compromised immune system.  I imagine there may be some exceptions, but very few.  But drug companies and the FDA do not split hairs between a person with CML in MMR and a person with AML leukemia on chemotherapy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users