25 replies to this topic

#1 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

It seems like we've been a bit short on general banter lately, so how about this: what have been the best, worst or silliest things to happen to you in the last few days?

Foe me it's:

Best

Lying in the sun finishing a good book (The Enchanted April) when I should really have been working.

Worst

My seven-year-old was reading to me today from his science book -  which turned out to be all about the different types of blood cell (I think it may be the book which Trey uses). This in turn made me wonder if I should be taking the opportunity to tell him what's wrong with Daddy? And the next thing I know, I'm shaking with a major anxiety attack for the next hour and a half from nowhere.

Silliest

Being on stage, wearing a platinum blonde, curly wig and supposedly doing a seductive dance during a production of Marlowe's Dr Faustus - I knew it was a mistake having a seat in the front row.

So how about the rest of you?

Phil

#2 everonward

everonward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

Best : Getting to the point where our hallway and upper landing is nearly finished - I have been decorating  and it has been long overdue.

Worst :  finding odd bruises on my left thigh - most strange and spending valentines on my own as hubby away - still he's back tomorrow which will be another best,

Silliest: Planning to continue with the decorating and our bedroom and the dining room.

If this rain ever stops in south east England - I will also get hubby to finish my raised beds and get some crops in. That will bring a whole new load of pleasure.

#3 HeatherZ

HeatherZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:32 PM

Good idea to lighten things up Phil!

Silly - My 9yr old came home one day last week and told me she lost part of her recess that day because she couldn't stop laughing.  When I asked what she was laughing at she said "there was a booger on the wall and we made up a song about it."  Needless to say, she has come home every day since to report that the booger is still on the wall.  Gotta love Catholic School!

#4 everonward

everonward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

LOL

Reminds me of when my son was 9 yr old - I was having The Talk with my daughter - patching up the sex-ed that a catholic school gives. he strolls into the room and suddenly says " I know how to make a woman happy"  my heart was in my mouth as I wasn't sure what, if  anything he had heard. So I said " Oh eally how do you do that?"  His response " Give them chocolate". 

#5 jrsboo

jrsboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

Best:  Flying in to San Jose to be with Husband for Valentines and meeting his old army friends and having a blast with them before heading out to Monterey for a 3 day Valentine's Day present.

Worst: Flying exhausts me, and after staying up late talking and laughing with aforementioned friends, am so tired today I am in hotel room with curtains closed while Hubby plays golf.  Also got caught thinking that "clamboring" meant "clamoring", and husband was RIGHT, darn it!

Silliest: Told my absolute FAVORITE joke to new friends and was laughing so hard I couldn't get the punch line out and thought I would pass out..........Why did the Robot cross the road?   Because he was stapled to the chicken.    I love that joke, it is so stupid, and it makes me fall over laughing.........

Caroline

#6 reedgirl

reedgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

Great idea Phil....

The BEST... we are packing up and heading to Florida for 11 days...so tired of this dreary, grey weather in Western Pa!

The WORST...my hubby had his triple lumen removed last week and a port implanted, he has a terrible terrible fear of needles, yeah not a good thing to have when diagnosed with a blood cancer.  On the way home from the hospital he got sick...in the car...all over the floor   Also found out that day he is no longer taking Tasigna due to intolerance, so on to the next drug...

The SILLIEST....hmmm  thats a tough one, cant really think of anything silly that's happened or that I'd want to share

What a nice way to read some fun things and lift the spirits!

Audrey

#7 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

Best - Exchanging Valentine's with my wife and kids and seeing how my kids are growing up and starting to do them on their own.  I was shocked when I frantically went to them on Saturday morning and said "ok we have to sit down and make mommy's valentine's cards" and they both looked at me and pulled out ones they already made.  My kids are really loving kids and its a great feeling watching them interact with each other.

Worst - Fortunately nothing too bad, have been feeling pretty light headed lately, in a way it kind of feels like being high.  If I wasn't worried about it, it would actually be pretty cool.

Silliest - Using my CML as the topic for a term project in school.  Professor will have to be a heartless bastard to not give me an 'A'

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#8 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

Great idea, Phil,

Best - Taking the TT out for a drive yesterday with the top down in 40 degree weather! It's been a crappy winter and the sun was shining and there was actual warmth - I smiled the whole time!!

I'm  stopping there!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#9 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:19 PM

Best:  Finally got up snowboarding on Friday.  No ski traffic, no lift lines, and OUTSTANDING powder in the trees!!!

Worst:  I am so out of shape (first time snowboarding in 2 years) that I hurt so bad I couldn't walk the next day.  Yes, I'm getting old.

Silliest:  After the big snow, the husband got out the ATV with the plow. . .plowed the driveway, plowed the sidewalks in the cul-de-sac, then I saw him zipping down the street and he disappeared around the corner.  I ran to catch up and saw him driving up and down the street with a big silly grin on his face, so I jumped on the back and we rode around the neighborhood plowing all the sidewalks we could find.  Felt like a 5-year-old again.  

#10 jrsboo

jrsboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:06 PM

@ Marnie: AWESOME.  That sounds like so much fun!!!

@ Billie: Sorry, I over scheduled myself and had to find the inner strength to get my butt up and out to court for hearings last week, and just felt generally crappy, so spent every possible extra moment on the couch communing with the dog.  And then clean the house and get ready for this trip.  I love to travel, but it is harder since dx, not that I let that stop me!!!!  And I am so glad you liked my ridiculous joke.  I have loved that one for over 10 years.  My step son told that to me when he was about 10 years old, and he just couldn't believe that I fell over laughing the way I did...........

Caroline

#11 PaulB

PaulB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:23 PM

Where to start?

Best:  My daughter wishing me a happy day, a theraputic massage, and my Bone Marrow FSH test being normal.

Worst:   A little stuffed up and tired of sniffling all day, oh well.

Silliest:  My daughter bought a pink shirt with "Daddy's girl" on it as my Valentines gift.  The silly part is the shirt was for her!

Not a bad day!

#12 5tigercubs

5tigercubs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:35 PM

Hey evry 1.

best : had my daughters sweet 16 and I made it thru and she loved it.

worst : cant even begin to describe and not cry

silliest: got a great pic of my kitten but when i looked close saw he actually was sticking his tongue out.....ugh

#13 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

Mine is

Best: finally starting exercising again

Worst: learnt how unfit I have become

Silliest: got bitten by a horse fly on the weekend - for those that don't have them, it is a fly that bites you and removes some skin and when the blood pools, they lap it up. The first thought that occurred to me after I got bitten was "I hope that fly overdoses on Glivec".

#14 cyclejoy

cyclejoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:33 PM

Oh wow, I totally missed skiing this year as Atlanta isn't the place for that.  Sounds like you had a ball. And, remember, you are getting old-er, only. :-))

#15 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:59 AM

GerryL,

Congratulations! Please let me know how you are starting out, unless you were an elite athelete to begin, in which case we won't have anything in common.

http://www.atkins.co...hyExercise.aspx

This article helped me understand the reason it's said that exercise helps with fatigue (see #2 on list) and it makes sense to me. I always find I overdue when starting out and on Sprycel I pay for it for another day or so. I need something that I can build on.

Please feel free to contact me via my e-mail if you are so inclined. Thanks!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#16 janner25

janner25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:31 AM

Love this idea...

Best: Got a raise and bonus from work and was told it was my best year yet!  (AMAZING considering the last 3 months of the year I felt horrible!)

Worst: Can it be spring already?  Saturday night, while my husband was working OT, I had 2 sick kids that I was sitting in between...the 8 year old had the stomach bug and the 4 year old had a fever that would not go below 101 with the tylenol / motrin mix.  Now both my husband and I have caught something (thankfully not the stomach bug yet).

Silliest: 8 year old is totally into music so I shocked him one day and learned the words to one of his favorite songs (by Big Time Rush)...he started playing the song and I busted out singing.  His face was priceless!!!!

#17 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

Here is hoping that the best gets better, the silly gets sillier and the worst goes away for everyone.

BEST:  So many I cannot count.  Now it is the little things that invoke absolute joy, like being able to take my kids out and breathing freely.  But a big thing is that we booked our fight to Japan and we will visit one of my best friends and her family.  It has been my dream that our children meet and that I can share my home away from home with my husband.  I'll drag the fam to my old haunts when I was a youngin'.

WORST:  Hearing about an old friend's death.  Lately, I have been feeling sad and mourning.  Plan to travel to visit her grave with friends in Japan.  My anemia is getting worse again.  WBC also taking a dive.

SILLIEST:  Well, it is non-stop with two little toddlers.  This is a little old, but remembering it always gives me a chuckle.  My 3-year-old told me after eating some sweets, "Mama, I think I am a junkie."  (as in "junk food junkie", which I sometimes call him).

Teds  

#18 Gene

Gene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:55 PM

What a great idea Phil.  I get anxiety attacks every once in a while (like today).  I think as a CML patient, I shouldn't feel so happy, active, normal, etc.  I guess sometimes I need permission to enjoy life.  So I come to the board, read the posts and realize we are all chugging along with life (the good, the bad and the funny).  Reading this post especially made my day.  Thanks everyone.

Best:  As a family, we have been skiing and are about to take our first ski trip.  My kids learned this season.  My husband and I came back to it after a long, long break.

Worst:  A friend of mine "unfriended" me because I haven't been giving her enough attention since I was diagnosed.

Silliest:  Trying to dance.  Enough said.

#19 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:21 PM

Hi Pat,

Not an elite athlete, though my blood pressure has dropped since I've been on Glivec, it is under the normal 120/80 range. Looked it up to see if it was an issue and apart from feeling light headed every so often, elite athletes have low blood pressure LOL.

I think with exercise, you have to find something you like doing to maintain it. I used to do Latin American dancing, but can't afford it at the moment, and haven't been to a class for about a year. So I've gone back to walking, doing floor exercises (crunches, hand weights etc) and will start yoga in a couple of weeks. Eventually I'd like to go back to dancing as it is something I really enjoy. It was the crunches and leg squats that reminded me I hadn't done anything for a while.

Phil mentioned that he got a Wii Fit and it was lots of fun.

#20 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:13 AM

I did indeed recommend the Wii fit.  It's never going to turn anyone into an elite athlete, but, judging by the way I sank like a rock when I took the kids to the swimming pool yesterday, it's definitely reduced my body fat percentage since Xmas.  They cost a few hundred dollars byt the time you've got the console, board, controllers and software, but compared to a year's gym membership it's a bargain (certainly at UK gym prices)

I like the fact that I can choose what to do depending on how I feel, so on a good day I can work up a real sweat with some of the more aerobic exercises, but if I'm feeling rough I can just do some gentle yoga and maybe a snowball fight or two.  The virtual trainer's quite fanciable too!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users