3 replies to this topic

#1 JoshLee

JoshLee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

Hello,

My name is Josh. I newly a newly diagnosed CML patient. I started Tasigna a week ago and got some lab results today. Everything looks good as far as my levels are concerened execept that when I began Tasigna my WBC was 10.2 (previously on hydroxy) and at this check up my WBC was up to 13.6. My oncologist said he was not concerened about this at all since I had only been on Tasigna for a week. QT issue isn't a problem and so far I have had no side effects. Is the fluctuation in the WBC cause for concern at this point or is a slight fluctuation normal this early in the game? Thanks for your time!

#2 janner25

janner25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

Hi Josh - welcome to the group!  I still consider myself a newbie (diagnosed in October 2010).

I too was started on tasigna - caught early.  Although my counts went down week 1, the doctor told me not to be surprised if they actually went up. 

Keep us posted on your progress and thoughts!  This is a great place to sound off with questions - whether its physical or emotional.  The people on this board get it!  It's nice to have!

Good luck!

Janice

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:56 PM

Josh,

Welcome! My WBC also went up to 13k on my second draw after starting Gleevec; the following week it was down again. That's when I learned that docs are only interested in trends. I wouldn't worry about it.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:57 PM

You likely had a yo-yo effect (my term) from stopping Hydroxyurea.  Give the tests a couple weeks to normalize.  With counts back near normal you don't have much of an issue to be concerned about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users