Photo

My brother has just been diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma-is this Leukemia?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 helenet

helenet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

I am blown away-- my older brother (60) has just been diagnosed with multiple myeloma.  Is this leukemia?  If so-- isn't it odd that 2 siblings have these issues?  I have poked around our website here and am not very encouraged with the outcome of multiple myeloma and what I am seeing. There are only a few postings, and definitely not a rambunctious crowd like ours!  I am not sure what stage he is in.  I only know he was complaining about excruciating bone pain over the holidays. He was just sent home from the hospital and his doctor has him on morphine. I gather he has not started any treatment yet.  I need something encouraging to tell him.  Is anyone at all familiar with this disease?

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:19 PM

Multiple Myeloma is not a form of leukemia, but both are myeloproliferative diseases (blood cancers), which means they both result in changes in the growth of some type of blood cells.  In leukemia, it is the white blood cells (WBCs) that proliferate in a deregulated manner.  For Multiple Myeloma, it is a specific WBC called the B-cell lymphocyte cells (a cousin of the T-cells) that are deregulated, often as a result of a chromosome translocation.  Further explanation can be found below.

Overviews:

http://en.wikipedia....ultiple_myeloma

http://www.leukemia-...dp?item_id=7032

http://myeloma.org/Main.action

The L&LS site for Multiple Myeloma is:

http://community.lls...yeloma?view=all

We all wish your brother well.

#3 MJL

MJL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:48 AM

My Nephew in-law was recently diagnosed as well. He is taking a drug called Revlamid and his "counts" are showing inprovement. I hope your brother can find a good Oncologist/Hemotologist. His treatment started with Chemo therapy and Radiation,  and he recently had kyphoplasty on his spine and is responding quite well to that. I believe he was diagnosed in stage 3. I wish your brother all the best in his search for treatment and answers. Does he live near you? If so perhaps your Oncologist can help.

Prayers for your family.

MJL.

#4 SunNsand

SunNsand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:05 PM

I am so sorry to read about your brother's diagnosis. Multiple cancers in a family is disturbing on a whole different level.

Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers that you find answers and that his treatment goes well.

SunNsand

#5 helenet

helenet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:47 AM

It saddens me to report that my brother, Michael Cook OF New Churchsland, Va, passed away on 10/26.  His Multiple Myeloma was very aggressive and morphed into Plasma Cell Leukemia.  He did not tolerate any of the meds and towards the end decided to be on pain management and blood transfusions only.  My family is heartbroken. MM and PCL are both evil diseases.  I have not posted lately, but wanted to say to all that I did as much research as I could on these diseases- but unfortunately could not find any magic solution for my brother- and neither could his doctors.  Fortunately he remained infection free during the course of his disease.  I thank God that we have our miracle drugs that will keep us  (CMLR'S) well indefinitely-- and want to give all a word of encouragement that not only do we have these drugs-- but we have each other  -- which is immensely helpful when we are confused or need support!  Thank you all for being there! -- Helene

#6 cfroncz1

cfroncz1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

So very sorry for your loss Helene.

Cheryl

#7 grannyd

grannyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

So sorry to hear of your brothers passing.May you find peace & strenght to help you thru this sad time. My thoughts & prayers are with you. granny d

#8 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:51 PM

Helene,

I'm so sorry to hear your brother passed away.  I hope his passage was an easy one, surrounded by his loved ones.  My condolences to you and your family.

Traci

#9 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

Helene

Wishing you hope in the midst of sorrow, comfort in the midst of pain.

Deepest condolences on the loss of your brother.

Gerry

#10 Pin

Pin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

Hi Helene, I am relatively new here so this is the first I have heard about your brother. I just wanted to say that I am so sorry for what has happened. I'm sure you were a wonderful source of support to your brother, and I hope that you and your family have good support during this time. I completely agree with you, and I've said it before, but this site is so great for having people who understand what we are going through. We are so lucky in that respect. Pin. xxx.

Diagnosed 9 June 2011, Glivec 400mg June 2011-July 2017, Tasigna 600mg July 2017-present (switched due to intolerable side effects, and desire for future cessation attempt).

Commenced monthly testing when MR4.0 lost during 2012.

2017: <0.01, <0.01, 0.005 (200mg Glivec, Adelaide) <0.01, 0.001 (new test sensitivity)

2016: <0.01, <0.01, PCRU, 0.002 (Adelaide)

2015: <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, 0.013

2014: PCRU, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01

2013: 0.01, 0.014, 0.016, 0.026, 0.041, <0.01, <0.01 

2012: <0.01, <0.01, 0.013, 0.032, 0.021

2011: 38.00, 12.00, 0.14

#11 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

Dear Helene,

My sincere condolences on the passing of your brother. I will pray for you and your family to have the strength and courage to get through this most sorrowful of times.  Billie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users