#1 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:59 AM

I read this article today and felt I should post it for anyone who may be in need.  Take note that this mainly focuses on individuals in blast crisis.

Published on SocialSecurity-Disability.org (http://www.socialsec...-disability.org)

Home > Compassionate Allowances > Chronic  Myelogenous Leukemia (CML) and Social Security Disability

Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML) and Social Security  Disability

This year alone, millions of Americans will file claims for disability  benefits from the Social Security Administration, and the majority of these  applicants will wait months, if not years, before being approved for disability  benefits. While the initial application process takes only three to four months  to complete, most applications are denied during this stage, resulting in the  need for an appeal. Depending on where you live and the specific circumstances  of your claim, this process can take anywhere from a few months to more than two  years to complete.

Fortunately, the Social Security Administration implemented the Compassionate  Allowances [1] initiative in 2008 to help  those who suffer from severe or terminal disabilities by offering expedited  handling of Social Security Disability claims. There are 88 conditions that  qualify for processing under the Compassionate Allowances guidelines, including  Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML) in the blast phase. If you or someone you  know has been diagnosed with this condition and you are wondering how it affects  eligibility for Social  Security Disability benefits [2], the  following information can help.

Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML) - Condition and Symptoms

Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia, also known as CML, Chronic Granulocytic  Leukemia, or CGL, is a cancer that affects the white blood cells of the body.  This form of leukemia is associated with unregulated growth of the myeloid cells  that are located in an individual's bone marrow. As a result of rapid growth,  the cells also accumulate in the patient's blood.

Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia can occur at any age, although it most commonly  develops in adulthood. While the symptoms vary between individuals, common  symptoms of CML include fatigue, fever, easy bleeding, increased risk of  infection, unexplained weight loss, loss of appetite, pain or fullness below the  ribs (on the left side), a pale complexion, and night sweats. The exact cause of  Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia is unknown, although the condition is attributable  to genetic complications.

The cells in the human body normally consist of 23 pairs of chromosomes. In  most of the individuals who suffer from Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia, these  chromosomes begin to trade sections with one another. A section of the ninth  chromosome swaps places with a section of the twenty-second chromosome,  resulting in an extra-short twenty-second chromosome referred to as the  "Philadelphia chromosome." This chromosome is found in approximately ninety  percent of the patients who are diagnosed with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia.

In the blood of healthy individuals, normal blood cells grow and die at  acceptable rates. In patients who develop Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia, diseased  white blood cells are created as a result of genetic mutation. These diseased  cells develop at an uncontrolled rate and crowd out the healthy blood cells,  causing damage to the bone marrow.

When diagnosing Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia, a doctor will perform a  physical exam and will conduct a number of blood tests. Bone marrow tests and  genetic testing to look for the Philadelphia chromosome are also conducted. The  condition is diagnosed in three different stages including chronic, accelerated,  and blastic.

When an individual is suffering from Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia in the  blastic stage, the cancer has become very aggressive and is life threatening.  This is the stage of the condition that qualifies for disability benefits under  the SSA's Compassionate Allowances guidelines.

Filing for Social Security Disability with Blast Phase Chronic Myelogenous  Leukemia (CML)

If you have been diagnosed with the blast stage of Chronic Myelogenous  Leukemia, you should apply for Social Security Disability benefits as soon as  possible. Because this condition is one of the 88 conditions covered under the  Compassionate Allowances listings, your application for disability benefits may  be approved in less than a month. It is important, however, that you provide the  Social Security Administration with as much medical evidence as possible when  submitting your claim for Social Security Disability benefits.

When filing for Social Security Disability benefits due to a case of Chronic  Myelogenous Leukemia (CML) in the blast phase, make sure that all lab results,  test results, and a complete medical history are provided along with your  application for benefits. You should also contact your medical professionals,  informing them of your plan to apply for disability benefits. These  professionals will need to provide the Social Security Administration with  written statements to support your Social Security Disability claim.

Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML) Blast Phase and Your Social Security  Disability Case

While it is true that Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia in the blast phase is one  of the 88 conditions listed under the Compassionate Allowances guidelines, your  claim for Social Security Disability benefits may not be automatically approved  by the Social Security Administration. In some cases, applications for  disability benefits that fall under the Compassionate Allowances guidelines can  be denied at the initial stage of the application process due to poorly prepared  disability applications or a misunderstanding on the part of the adjudicator  reviewing the file. To avoid a delay in the approval of your disability claim,  you should consider retaining the services of a qualified Social  Security Disability attorney [3] or  advocate.

If you would like to learn more about the Social Security Administration's  Compassionate Allowances program, or to find out whether or not you qualify for  Social Security Disability benefits due to a diagnosis of Chronic Myelogenous  Leukemia in the blast phase, click here [4] to obtain a free  disability case review [4] today.

This site is not affiliated in any way with the Social  Security Administration. The term "Social Security Lawyer" as used in this site  does not mean an attorney or lawyer which is affiliated with the Social Security  Administration. The terms "Social Security," "Social Security Disability,"  "Social Security Administration," "Supplemental Security Income," and "Medicaid"  do not convey that these items, as represented on this site, are endorsed by the  Social Security Administration.

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#2 helenet

helenet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

wow-- this is good to know-- but I hope none of us need this any time soon! 

#3 SunNsand

SunNsand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:11 PM

Thank you for posting this very useful information.

SunNsand

#4 Teresabourgeois

Teresabourgeois

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

Yesterday I WON my appeal case for SSDI!!!!!  It was 1 yr ago that I was DX with CML and I filed for disability in April and was denied.  I got an attorney and filed an appeal.  I do have chronic asthma, fibromyaligia and mixed connective tissue disease.  So if you file, don't just list CML because other medical issues can help you get approved.  Also, I went to the Dr so much and made sure that I always told them how bad I felt, which was the truth.  I noticed after reading the Dr's note that they took bits and pieces of what I actually said.  So again, make your case with your Dr.s, counselors and whoever else you see.  The fact that we will remain on TKI's for life and the side effects that they create play a huge roll in getting approved.  I AM SO HAPPY!  Especially since I spent the day at the hospital due to fluid in my lungs.  It's always something......But happy to be alive most of the time anyways

#5 Lynne D

Lynne D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

Congrats for you. I have had CML since 2005 and stopped working in November 11. I applied after I stopped working and just received my 28 page questionnaire. I also have Fibromyalgia and Sjogren's Syndrome, so I am hoping that they take that all into consideration.

Lynne Dagata

ldagata65@gmail.com

"Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on" ~~ Henry Rollins

#6 Teresabourgeois

Teresabourgeois

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

WOW, your medical history sounds alot like mine.  The judge that I had seemed to ask me alot of questions regarding my mixed connective tissue disease more than questions about CML.  She knew someone with MCTD and told me about how he had handled staying well.  So I guess you just never know what the judge will pick up on.  I'm sure you were told that most everyone gets denied the first time and then you should get a lawyer to help with the appeal.  Well, I agree with that.  It's worth it.  But you still have to provide your attorney with the medical history.  Ask your attending Dr.'s to write you letters supposing your health.  And, don't write to much about your past work capabilities.  Seems that they try to find a job that you could do based on your past history.  Bascially it is best if you haven't had multipule work history.  I'd be happy to help you in this if you'd like.  Also, there is a website that I went to that helped me;  www.thedisabilitydigest.com  ,  Good luck!!!!

#7 Lynne D

Lynne D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

Thanks so much. I started with an attorney and he did tell me that it would most likely get denied, but he also said due to the nature of my illnesses he has seen them go through in months. So my fingers are crossed and I mailed my long questionnaire to the attorney. I have only had 2 jobs in the last 17 years and I actually had to step down to a less stressful position with less hours. The attorney did tell me that it depends on the judge. That's why I never collected unemployment. I am so worried over money but I didn't want to take the chance and get the jerk judge who figures I am just taking from the system even though I have bills to pay. It's so daunting. Thanks for the website, I am going to peek at it later.

Lynne Dagata

ldagata65@gmail.com

"Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on" ~~ Henry Rollins

#8 lthouse612

lthouse612

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

I had actually filed on my own and was denied the first time around.  I was told by several others that this was inevitable... I had even contacted an attorney to see about getting assistance with the case but they wouldn't even talk to me!  Even after being told time and again from others I probably wouldn't be approved anyway I still went on with it.  I had just decided then and there I wasn't going to take "no" for an answer.  I also met a very helpful person (Kathy are you still around???) that gave me some great advice to help me along.  Thanks Kathy! 

I appealed immediately after the first denial letter and in that process I had even wrote letters to my state senators and a congresswoman explaining what I had and what was going on.  I felt they were instrumental in having the SS Administration pay closer attention to my case.  I recieved a letter from one of the Senators shortly after informing me that any correspondence that went between his office and SS would be copied and forwarded to me.  Sure enough it did.  I was so grateful to say the least.  A few months later I was approved.  I couldn't thank them enough for taking the time to assist me and making sure that my case was carefully reviewed.  When I got my approval letter it was like a huge weight had been lifted... We had already been struggling for months financially and every month seemed to sink us deeper in the hole.  Although it took us a while afterwards...we have finally come to a point where things seem balanced enough where we can now just focus on "living" and not trying to survive.  Congrats to you Teresa and the best of luck to everyone else that takes this step as well... 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users