#1 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

There is new evidence that acid reflux medications interfere with TKI drugs at two important points.  These medications are called proton pump inhibitors (PPI -- including Prilosec, Nexium, etc).  The first interference by these PPI medications is that they interfere with TKI drugs being absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract.  But there is also a second interference, whereby these acid reflux medications also interfere at the cell level and reduce TKI drug intake into the cell, so less TKI drug enters into the leukemic cells where the BCR-ABL is located.  So these acid reflux drugs can be "double bad" for those of us taking TKI drugs.

The interference is worse for Gleevec than the others, followed by Sprycel.  Oddly, Tasigna cell uptake of TKI drug seems to be enhanced (made better) by the acid reflux drugs, probably because Tasigna is taken into the cells in a slightly different way.  But Tasigna intake from the GI tract would likely offset cell uptake advantages.  So it would be best to stay away from all acid reflux drugs while taking TKI drugs.  If that is not possible, it would probably be better to take Tasigna while taking acid reflux drugs.

http://ash.confex.co...Paper31458.html

http://en.wikipedia....-pump_inhibitor

#2 VickiW

VickiW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationnorthwoods

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

thanks Trey!

many of the newbies (or others) may not be aware we are not supposed to take any form PPI or may not be fortunate enough (like me ) to have an Onc who is on the ball with this stuff.  I plan on  asking my Onc this latest infor about PPI's interfering on a secondary level.

I am  sure I speak for many on this board when I say we really appreciate you and all your efforts on our behalf!

Dxd 2007

started on Gleevec switched to Sprycel 100mg in 2009

PCRU since 2011

20mg Sprycel every other day since Dec. 2014

Began TFR 4-18-16

#3 cryjohn

cryjohn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

Trey,

So, if the reflux meds lower the absorption rate, do you think getting to MMR would be in jeopardy if your on these medication?  Interesting you posted this because I have had several discussion with my Onc about interaction of Protonix and Gleevec.  He has indicated for the last 9 months, no problem and has actually increased my dose of Protonix from 40mg/day to 60mg/day.  I did reach CCYR in November (diagnosed 05/10), and have a 2 log reduction on PCR.  Since I've responded pretty good in just 9 months, should I be having a conversation about switching TKI's because of this latest report...going without the Protonix is not an option.  I am due for my next PCR in about a month, hoping to be MMR!

Thanks

Crystal

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:39 PM

Statistics in reports do not account for all individuals.  If you are doing well, with steady PCR declines, and you must take a PPI drug, then all is well.  You would possibly have a faster response without the PPI, but health is a matter of considering all the medical issues and developing an acceptable strategy.  It is also possible that you start out with better than average cellular drug uptake, so the impact for you as an individual may be less than for most people.

You may find that achieving deeper response levels becomes more difficult while taking a PPI -- maybe yes, maybe no.  Individual results will vary.  If your PCR decline slows down, you might want to explore a change to Tasigna.  Or you could discuss a switch to Tasigna now with your Onc.

#5 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:40 PM

Interesting article re above comments. Frank-WEB ADDRESS NOW WORKS. FRANK

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2766475/

#6 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWilloughby oh

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:55 AM

I too am on Nexium and have had a steady progress. Not as fast as I had hoped but working and Onc is happy with results.  But this does make me wonder. I will have to discuss this with my Onc also. I really don't want to change drugs just becuase its so much more expensive! new side effects And wonder how my empolyer will take that. I can't really give up the Nexium I've already tried that a couple times. The study does say might interfer?

thanks for the information,

Cathy 

Cathy

DX 5-2010  Started normal hydra then Gleevec for 9 months stopped working

Tasigna after 5 pills pancreatis  numbers jumped up quickly

Started Sprycel 100, 8-2010  for a 3 years went down to 50 mg numbers at one point really jumped up quickly

currently on 70 mg for last 2-3 years trying to get onc to reduce dose Numbers never stabilize never MMR till 4-2017 bearly and jump up and down in and out of MMR stayed MMR for 3 months then

After 6 years on sprycel fluid on both lungs, drained still have some fluid on lungs, and currently off drug 4 months now

numbers lower then ever go figure I've never been this low of a number 

last 2 tests .0686 and .0181 !!

#7 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:35 AM

Here is a list of the more common PPI drugs:

• Omeprazole (Prilosec)
  • Lanoprazole (Prevacid)
  • Esomeprazole (Nexium)
  • Pantoprazole (Protonix)
  • Rabeprazole (Acifex)
The report I cited early in this thread shows an overall negative effect of PPI drugs, but is not clearly negative in all cases for all CML types, so that the various PPI drugs had different results for the different TKI drugs.  And in some cases the effect is positive, mainly for Tasigna.  So a switch in PPI drug might also be an option based on the particular TKI drug involved, however that is a tricky issue since individual results will vary.  And the issue is not one of complete interference, but rather one of variable levels of interference or non-interference.  You should ask your doc to decipher which PPI might work best for you if you need to take one.

#8 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:25 AM

Above web address now works.Frank

#9 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:01 PM

Hi Cathy:  I am a little confused with this also.  I have been on Nexium since shortly after starting Gleevec back in 2000, due to horrible reflux.  I do find the Nexium is very expensive.  I was just in the hospital for a week with a blood clot, and they did not have Nexium, and they substituted Prilosec for me which did work.

I am thinking of asking my doctor to switch me to the Prilosec from the Nexium if it will save me money.

Like Trey said it is different for everyone.  I have done well, and gotten to PCRU even with the reflux drug.  I think you have to talk to your doctors about it.

#10 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWilloughby oh

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:18 PM

Hi Susan, I'm glad you said that because I'm confused and I have been on Nexium for a long time I tried to stop it for a while which worked but it seemed with Gleevec my re flux came back to the extent I had to go back on it every day since I've been taking the whole time. My numbers are going down and I did have this talk with my onc right off and we discussed nexium and he said no your okay taking it. I take nexium in the morning and gleevec at night. And I went on the Novartis site today to check out this interaction. They list Nexium and priolsec in the okay column?? So I am totally confused and think I'm okay taking it. But do plan on talking with my Onc next week when I go. And if I'm not 100% Fish negative I'm not going to be happy. I've said that the past 2 Fish! I'm close only have 13 Phily's left from last check! Just one slow process! 9 months now since dx!

Now price was a different story, I asked for the generic to nexium which is prilosec I looked up the generic and its just prilosec which works for me about 2/3 rds the time. But if I eat spicy or something I shouldn't it really doesn't do it. And Prilosec is about 1/4 the cost of nexium. I was just tired of paying for Nexium and some other drugs I take so I was trying to cut my charges down. So it's okay not 100% I think. Much cheaper though!! LOL

I hope your leg is doing better and things calm down for you,

Have a good weekend all,

Cathy

Cathy

DX 5-2010  Started normal hydra then Gleevec for 9 months stopped working

Tasigna after 5 pills pancreatis  numbers jumped up quickly

Started Sprycel 100, 8-2010  for a 3 years went down to 50 mg numbers at one point really jumped up quickly

currently on 70 mg for last 2-3 years trying to get onc to reduce dose Numbers never stabilize never MMR till 4-2017 bearly and jump up and down in and out of MMR stayed MMR for 3 months then

After 6 years on sprycel fluid on both lungs, drained still have some fluid on lungs, and currently off drug 4 months now

numbers lower then ever go figure I've never been this low of a number 

last 2 tests .0686 and .0181 !!

#11 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

Hi :  I hope you continue to do well on your Gleevec, and you will get to where you want to be.  It takes longer for some.  When I was diagnosed, there was no Gleevec or any other TKI.  I did the old treatments, but after I started the Gleevec it took me 9 months to get to a cytogenetic remission.

Thank You for asking about my leg and my blood clot.  I guess it will take time.  They are telling me 6 to 12 months of blood thinners, but I am praying its less time.  Some days I feel like I am getting hit from every angle with health problems, and I guess we all go through it.

My Oncologist who I really loved, has retired.  He never felt that the Nexium was a problem for me, and now my new Oncologist does not feel its an issue either.

Make yourself feel better and talk to your doctor.  Even on the Nexium, if I eat something spicy I get that breakthrough heartburn.  Not all the time, but I do get it.

I guess I just feel that taking the Nexium is a better alternative then to end up with esophageal problems on top of the CML.

Have a good weekend also.

Susan

#12 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:34 PM

Hi Trey

6 years ago I was diagnosed with barets disease. I had a nagging cough but not a lot of stomache problems. I asked my pcp for something for my cough. She said not until we check you out. So I went to a gastroentologist, he did the scope test on my throat. When I woke up after the test he scared the shat out of me. He put me on 80mg of nexium a day. Really had to fight the ins co for that. He did another scope a couple weeks later no change. I had pre cancerous cells in my esophogus I had reflux so bad it was tearing up my eso. Luckily my dr. is not one to operate right away,but they were preparing me to go to Pittsburg to have throat surgery. But thank God he waited and a couple weeks later he did another scope and it showed a slight improvement. The Nexium was working. I can,t even remember how many times I had that scope the first year. Every 3 or 4 weeks, sometimes every 2 weeks. I have never been so scared in my life. All those tests and all that waiting, but finally I was out of the woods and the nexium was doing it's job.I still had to get that scope quite often, but now I just have to get it once a year. Thank God. It's really funny I had no stomache problems until they healed my eso. Then I really found out what acid reflux was.Then lo and behold along comes cml! I was put on G right away and I have to take the nexium the rest of my life. I have no choice. During the 3 years I was on G was a nightmare I would wake up and feel like a torch was down my throat, or I could'nt breathe I was up so many nights because I couldn't lay down. That made it worse. Last spring I got a call from my Dr.and he said I had to go off nexium and on protonix because I am on Plavix.I am on plavix,aspirin,and lipitor because my left carotid artery is 100% blocked.Surgery is not an option. It was blocked 99% in 1993. So it was operable. Naturally I have been treated for it since then. My onc is not happy about me being on protonix but I have no choice. These meds are keeping me alive. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it. All I do is go to Drs Appt and take pills. I am off G now for 4mos and I started Sprycel 3 mos ago. It is amazing I no longer Shat all the time and I can eat a chiliburger before bed and not have any trouble at all. And the people that make immodium will go out of business. I had a melanoma 5 years ago we caught it in time I only lost 2 lymphnodes. I'm telling you all this because you have such a vast amount of knowledge with cml and you can put this in your memory bank. I know my docs will.I am so glad to be on Sprycel I feel good except I am so tired all the time. Of course look at all the meds I take. G is great for some people, it just didn't agree with me probably because of all the meds I take. I have to get bw next week this is the first actual test since I went off G and on S wish me luck.                      Take Care Billie

#13 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

Dear Susan

Everybody I know that has acid reflux, and is on nexium the ins co,s are giving them a real hard time.Since Prilosec became an over the counter drug the ins co,s have been refusing to pay for nexium and other acid reflux scripts. I have severe acid reflux and my Ins co gave my doc and me a terrible time to fill my script for nexium. Every 6 mos I would go through the same thing with the ins co. My reflux was so bad it damaged my esophagus I almost had to have throat surgery, I had pre-cancerous cells in my eso. But the Nexium started working and healed my eso .I have to get that scope every year now but so far so good. I was just switched to protonix from nexium last spring. Something about me being on Plavix. It is working fine. Most people prefere prilocec because it is a lot cheaper than the scripts I have no choice but to stay on Protonix or whatever  they come out with next. Like Trey said it is different for everyone, but if your doc says nexium or protonix, or prilocec. I agree with Trey make sure the Doc agrees with which med you should take. If he says Prilocec go for it. I had reflux for a long time I just didn,t know it. My eso was taking all the damage so my stomache was fine. I just had a nagging cough.

Good Luck, All this stuff makes me crazy. Seems like we are damned if we do or damned if we don't. I am ready to pitch all the pills. Sincerely Billie

#14 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

Hi Billie:  Boy you have been through it all, but your surviving all of it.  That is the most important thing.  My Nexium is costing me $80.00 for a 90 day supply.  I have an appointment on Wed. to get my leg checked out.  I am going to check to see if I am right about the Prilosec.  I am almost positive that is what they were giving me in the hospital.

I think my Faith in God is what gets me through these things more than my medications.  Take Care and Just Take One Day At A Time.

#15 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:14 AM

Hi, Susan,

I was told nexium and prilosec and essentially the same thing. Nexium was introduced shortly before prilosec went OTC.

Good luck.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users