• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 5tigercubs

5tigercubs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

If my coumadin level is finally therapeutic at 10mgs daily, which is kind of high I guess, will gleevec have a negative impact on that? how soon would the doc notice through labs? what opions are out there to make it possible to take both meds and make them play well together? can the 2 together affect anemia? I have that wothout tki's.

I start Gleevec tomorrow.

#2 5tigercubs

5tigercubs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:27 AM

so i read this again and think these are good questions for my onc. hope all are doing well. i will post onc answeres later.

#3 5tigercubs

5tigercubs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

my doc says that the 2 meds should not affect the anemia and that it is an issue she wants to address but right now not at the top of the list. doc also says i have suffered from a lot of toxicity and when that is back to her liking she will take care of iron deficiency with iron transfusion.

the doc and nurses got to meet the closest thing thing to the real me today. not dopey or sickly or freaked and anxiety ridden from just getting dx. it is good we have somewhat of a baseline now.

feels great to me knowing i started gleevec pretty well normal as i can be and i am hoping it makes it easier to know sides vs. symptoms from anxiety.

#4 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

Hi:  I just put a new post in a little while ago, as I just experienced a DVT and was hospitalized.  I was wondering about my Gleevec and my Coumadin. I am only on 6 mg. right now.  Did you have a blood clot that caused a pulmonary embolism?  I have been on Gleevec since 2000, and doing very well.  This blood clot has really thrown a wrench into my care here.  I do not know what to expect, as my concern is over my anemia and blood counts.

SUSAN

#5 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:30 PM

You both will need to be careful mixing Coumadin (Warfarin) and Gleevec (any TKI drug).  The Gleevec will make the Coumadin stay in the body longer, so the effective dosage will be higher.  This can cause bleeding due to over-thinning of the blood.

5TC: I would not want to be taking Coumadin while anemic, especially if you have low platelets.  You need to ask your doc about this.

Susan: You do not want to dissolve the clot too quickly due to the increased effective dosage of Coumadin.  You should ask the doc about a reduced dosage of Coumadin.

http://www.webmd.com...UG&pagenumber=9

#6 5tigercubs

5tigercubs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:57 PM

Susan, i had a blood clot in my left lung. was in hosp 6 days on heparin drip and started coumadin and arixtra in there. did arixtra 5days at home and had to move coumadin to 10 mgs to stop taking shots and become theraputic. i am somewhat resistant to coumadin. we dont know why.doc did a full lab work up today to try and find reason for clot or where it came from. my mom has them but cant take blood thinners at all.

trey, i saw doc today and asked her about the anemia, she was still waiting for labs to come back when i left but i go back thurss and she said we would discuss it again.  the did give me 2 bags iron in hosp 1 on 2/25 and the other 2/26. said had to be a day aprt and an hour to run in. i dont know how long that lasts in the blood or system. thanks for keeping tabs on all of this. i dont know how you do it

#7 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

Dear 5TigerCubs,

I have suffered from severe anemia (ex. HGB 5.0) for quite a while.  I was first on Gleevec and now I am on Sprycel.  Although my condition has improved a lot with the drug change, I am considered moderately anemic.  If you have any questions as to what treatment I had, I am happy to share with you.  One question.  Did your last BMB show any stainable iron?  Sometimes an infusion of iron is not always needed or helpful, especially if no longer menstruating, but it all depends on your iron stores.

Best of luck,

Tedsey

#8 5tigercubs

5tigercubs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:40 PM

Tedsey, i had only te BMB at dx nov. 29 i have never seen results and am still slowly learning what to ask. i have been slightly anemic mos5t of my life, moreso when pregnant and always during mens. cycle. at time of BMB had skipped a cycle but with all labs onc has told me from start i am iron deficient.

my onc called this afternoon to tell me that coumadin is too high and to skip tonights dose and then alternate 7.5mg and 10.mg daily til next testing. i hit my cycle this month and its is out of control which i guess threw  the level. we are already talking uterine emblation. i was suposed to do it last year because things were "too" heavy but i chickened out. i am doing it this time if it will help keep what little iron i do absorb.my onc is going to work directly with my gyno. sorry if this is TMI ...... not sure

thursday night it was 2.8.

i didnt ask what this was but i started cyclr friday and monday it was too high.

I dont absorb iron in pill form, and have no interest in meet or many other foods at moment. arte there still other options . i get 25% daily in my boost. thanks for listening/reading

#9 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:44 PM

Just know I am in the same boat as you.  I just got a call from my doctor, and I have to skip my Coumadin tonight also.  I am on the 6 mg., but I have a feeling it will be decreased.  She gave me a schedule for the week when to skip and when to take a half instead of a whole.  I go for blood work again on Monday .

I am always around if you need some support.  You have other issues to get used to and deal with too.

Take Care

#10 5tigercubs

5tigercubs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:56 PM

thank you

#11 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:07 AM

5tc,

I'm not sure we have a TMI limit on this board. If we do, rest assured your post doesn't begin to approach it! We appear to be able to talk about just about any topic - a good thing and I hope it stays that way.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#12 5tigercubs

5tigercubs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:08 AM

Pat, Thank you so much for touching on that for me. Talked to gyno last night and he did some of his own research after phone conference with onc and feel an I.U.D. like mirena i guess with progesterone that is targeted is a safer option and i am willing to try amlost anything once but on the other hand isnt bc one of the high risk of blood clots in the first place. so it may help with the anemia by slowing things down and i guess the coumadin is going to have to make sure the iud doesnt cause any clots?

#13 cousineg

cousineg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:48 PM

I took Gleevec and Coumadin since June 2005. Actualy I have some trouble with the RIN factor. The normal range for atrial fibrillation is (2.0 to 2.5). . My cardiologist changed the Coumadin with Pradax (2 x 110 mg).  I took Pradax twice a day because I have rdenal insufficiency.

Unfortunately, I have too many side effects with Pradax (diarrhea, pinch the brain ...). So, I will return to Coumadin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users