3 replies to this topic

#1 cpsn0000

cpsn0000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

Hey Trey,

I cant find the posting where you said if Gleevec stopped working for you, would you take Sprycel or Tasigna? I think you said sprycel? Just curious to the reasons. As you know, I started on Gleevec for 3 months, stopped for a total of 3 weeks due to low WBC and PLT counts and then started Tasigna with my new doctor on Jan 1st and was on for 3 weeks and came off this past Friday due to severe rash on my face, back, chest, thighs....

Any advice is appreciated....They plan to start me back on Tasigna in 2 weeks to help with severe rash problem since my blood counts were great.....Like the idea of taking 1 pill a day with sprycel compared to 2x per day and 12 hr window in between doses with blacout times for eating..Its been ok but can easily slip up and miss a dose or eat and then have to wait 2 hrs again....

Thanks!!

#2 janekaye

janekaye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:18 PM

I'm just wondering what you consider to be a "severe rash."  Can yoy describe it?  I've been on Sprycel for over a year and have had bad rashes for most of that time i just deal with it and use a cream that my dermotologist gave me - doesn't help a lot, but it's something.  Rash is mainly on legs, a little on arms and occasionally hands and back.  I'd be interested to hear what yours is like.

Thanks,

-janekaye

#3 Scottie

Scottie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

And I am going to the dermatologist on tuesday morning. I have very strange raised 'lumpy' areas around my neck and shoulders. My Onc. said to go see the skin guy because of that and also all of the moles that have appeared in the last month and a half. I started Tasigne 800 mg. at the same time, so I'm pretty sure what the Dr. will say about the itch. But!!! What about the really wierd 1/8" lumpy area around the new moles. I'll let you all know what they say if it's a cream or SOMETHING ELSE!!.

P.S.  My sister is going with me to the Oncologist in February to get a blood draw. Maybe she'll be a SCT match for me as I stated earlier in January. I can't even begin to tell you all how much that means to me. As before, I have 3 sisters and only this one raised her hand high to volunteer. I always knew that I would do that- even for a stranger. But when I got that phone call the other day- MAN, life really is good. I do feel terrible that after the "yes" she still said "yes" even knowing that she'd be getting growth shots and all of that crap. She'd be getting a port access and be in a hospital for 2+ days. Wow, other than all of us here, who does that. Life offers it's little surprises when we're not even looking. I love all of my sisters. And all of you folks too..........

Good luck, Scottie.......

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

Under most conditions requiring a switch in drugs, I would choose Sprycel for the following reasons:

1) It is the "most different" TKI drug.  Unlike both Gleevec and Tasigna, Sprycel works against both active and inactive forms of BCR-ABL, and it also inhibits SCR kinases which are "back door" methods of survival for leukemic cells

2) It works better against more types of Gleevec resistance than Tasigna

3) It works against higher level leukemic progenitor cells than Gleevec or Tasigna

4) If any TKI could bring someone closest to a cure, it would be Sprycel because of #3 above and the SRC inhibition

I would NOT use Sprycel if I had a history of pleural effusion (fluid on the lungs), or if I had the F317V kinase mutation (where Tasigna works better).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users