Photo

IS IT GOOD, IS IT BAD. What in the world are they saying?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Scottie

Scottie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:25 AM

Another newbe here. I was diagnosed  over 3 1/2 years ago and only just now have I found your little world. It's good to read all the topics. Lots of info.

I'm lucky bcause my wife is a molecular biologist, so she is often able to explain things to me. Yesturday I got back my latest BMB and the strange comments were all over the place. For instance, Megakaryocytes appear increased in the bone marrow with a rare promyelocyte identified. The overall findings are not typical for chronic myelogenous leukemia. What does that mean? My Dr. is a super lady but didn't explain this to me. The paper goes on to say that molecular studies should be completed for analysis. Now I've been drilled at least 6 times and get a bit tired of it, if you all know what I mean.

So if I need pcr done(which it is every 3-4 weeks, 148 copies, 268 copies, 168 copies, 58 copies, and so on per 1000abl copies) then why do they need to keep drilling. My gosh, I feel like a product of Halliburton.

I see a great team of Oncs. at Northwestern in Chicago. Ciao, Scottie......

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

You asked about the following phrases in the BMB report:

"Megakaryocytes appear increased in the bone marrow..."

This means that you have some amount of increased pre-platelet cells, which means your platelets are increasing.  A CBC should show if your platelet levels are high.  If not, this is no issue.

"...with a rare promyelocyte identified"

It may not be a rare type of promyelocyte, but could mean these were rarely seen.  A promyelocyte is an immature white blood cell.  If it did not go on to say that the cell was abnormal in a certain distinct way, then it should be insignificant.

"The overall findings are not typical for  chronic myelogenous leukemia."

This could be a good thing, if it means that your BMB did not show any leukemic cells, therefore it does not look like you have CML if you only look at this test.  Does the report say that out of 20 cells examined none were leukemic?

#3 Scottie

Scottie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

Hey Trey, thanks so much for your timely input. As always, I leave the bulk of what I need to say out of text. Thats just me!  Yes, I do have cml w/ dx. in may 2007. this last BMB threw me because, as always, it has shown that I have- out of the 30 cells examined- 3 that were positive for the t(9:22) translocation and 1 cell that the 'rare promyelocyte' that I had discussed before. As mentioned, my wife has a masters in molecular biology, but it appears that you know as much, if not more than she. I've been reading your blogs and along with everyone else am impressed with your knowledge of the topic. I don't bring my wife too often to the onc's. because her brother as a matter of fact, has the same cml dx. as do I.  My constant problem circles the fact of so many different studies, albiet pcr, fish or bmb and why the Dr. needs to constantly 'study' me. I am getting the feeling that I am an unwilling 'rat' to which they cannot cure. I've been on the gleevac, Dasatinib and am now on nilotinib with few 'good' results. SCT has been mentioned, which leads to a whole other topic later on about my family (or a lack there of) and their lack of participation.
     So much more to say, but I have to go to the pharmacy, as we all know well!

Thanks and regards, Scottie

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:33 PM

I sent you an email through the internal LLS system.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users