22 replies to this topic

#21 dolphin

dolphin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:18 AM

Hi Dee,

I had experienced the same thing so my doctor suggested me to start my meal and have the pill in between the meal and finish the rest of my food. This was very helpful.

Also you can split the medicine and have it twice , this way it wont be hard on your stomach.

Like take 200mg with breakfast and 200mg with dinner if you are on 400mg.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Surabhi

#22 Stevea

Stevea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:41 AM

Hi Jenn,  I started on Gleevec when I was 19 years old in 2002.  I would have Nausea all the time at first because I took my gleevec (400mg), in the morning with really nothing to eat and I was at work.  I would then throw up at work all the time and get sent home.  A little while later I started to take my pill with dinner and I knew I had to eat a good mean to keep from getting Nausea and throwing it up.  This made me gain a lot of weight, eating a big meal so late at night.  Like a year ago, I started taking my gleevec at lunch time with a pretty good size meal then just eating something small at night for dinner and I ended up losing about 20 lbs and I don't throw up because I know exactly how much food I need to eat.  I can go 6 months without feeling Nausea and then I will eat a meal and take my pill knowing I might not have ate enough but still need to take my pill and I will get Nausea!

#23 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

Hi Billie:  I have been on Gleevec since Oct. of 2000, and I also had trouble with the esophagus from the Gleevec. I wonder how many others are dealing with this reflux like me and still on Gleevec.  I also was put on the Nexium immediately, and it did heal my esophagus also.  I still get break through reflux at times, and I probably should get another Endoscopy to be sure all is okay.

The Gleevec has done its job and I have been PCRU since 2003.  I am going to my Oncologist tomorrow for my latest test results.  I still get anxious even after all these years.

I also still get Nausea at different times, but nothing I cannot deal with.  Sounds like your doing good. Keep it Up.

I will have to try the peppermints.  Are you still on Nexium.  Its one of my expensive drugs that I take, but I do not want to stop taking it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users