• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MJL

MJL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:52 AM

Is there any one here who is also a Diabetic? If so has any one noticed a change in thier blood sugar levels? I Have been on Gleevec for about 18 months and recently started having some very low results. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

MJL.

#2 valiantchong

valiantchong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:07 AM

Notice some increase of Glu in blood read marginaly high at 6. Dont know if this is due to Glivec, but recently Urine test showed some weak positive in protein level, Ketone and Uro Bilirubin. Dont know if there is any similar case here.

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:48 AM

Gleevec has been shown to reduce the need for insulin in folks with diabetes.  It causes changes in glucose metabolism in the body.  See article:

http://jco.ascopubs....2/4653.full.pdf

Also:

Plasma adiponectin levels are markedly elevated in  imatinib-treated chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) patients: a mechanism  for improved insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetic CML patients?

J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Aug;95(8):3763-7

Authors:  Fitter S, Vandyke K, Schultz CG, White D, Hughes TP, Zannettino AC

CONTEXT: The mechanism(s) by which imatinib improves glycemic control  in chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) patients with type 2 diabetes remains  unclear. OBJECTIVE: Adiponectin is an important regulator of insulin  sensitivity that is secreted exclusively by adipocytes. We previously  reported that imatinib promotes adipocytic differentiation of  mesenchymal stromal cells. We therefore hypothesized that imatinib  therapy would be associated with an increase in peripheral and  intramedullary adiposity and elevated plasma adiponectin levels.  RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: Adiponectin levels in CML patient plasma,  at diagnosis and then during imatinib mesylate therapy, was measured  using an ELISA. Adiponectin multimers in plasma were analyzed using  nondenaturing PAGE and immunoblotting. Intramedullary adiposity and  adipose tissue mass was determined using histomorphometry and  dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry, respectively. RESULTS: In CML  patients, an increase in intramedullary and peripheral adiposity was  observed after 6 months of imatinib therapy and plasma adiponectin  levels, in the form of high- and low-molecular-weight complexes, were  elevated 3-fold, compared with pretreatment levels, after 3, 6, and 12  months of therapy. CONCLUSIONS: Elevated adiponectin levels in  imatinib-treated CML patients provide a possible mechanism for improved  glucose and lipid metabolism reported for some imatinib-treated  patients.

#4 threedprof

threedprof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:16 AM

I'm not sure if it's related but my original Onc began to notice a slow steady rise of glucose in my blood during routine testing.  the caveat is it runs deep in my family on my mother's side.  So it's entirely possible and coincidental that i developed pre-diabetes during my treatment and had nothing to do with Gleevec.  However, i'm managing it now with diet and exercise and am now back to normal numbers.  Lord knows I don't want any more dependancies of drugs in my life.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users