• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 reedgirl

reedgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:12 PM

Just wondering if anyone experienced elevated bilirubin, ast, and alt counts while taking Tasigna??? My husband's numbers increased immediately, 4 days, after starting the medication, half dose, in Sept.  His numbers have remained high but eventually leveled, just over the normal high.  His dr decided to increase the dosage up to full dose beginning of December.  Since then his numbers increased even higher, so the dr decided to take him off for one week then check his blood to see if it recovers.  My other question is, what keeps it from going back up when he restarts the medication?  And, is there some kind of supplement he can take for liver support without messing up the work of the Tasigna?  Does anyone out there have any experience in dealing with this?  His bilirubin last week was 4.5, his alt is 169, ast is 68.

This is when we start to panic thinking he's not going to be able to take this medication either.  Ugh, so frustrating!!!

Thanks for any advice,

Audrey

#2 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:25 PM

Audrey,

My liver enzymes became extremely elevated (@1300/1450) about 8 months after starting Gleevec. Amazingly, all my liver function tests were normal as was a CT, but I did not have a liver biopsy. I was taken off Gleevec immediately to wait for for them to come back down. It was determined that I probably would not be able to take Gleevec at any level so  I was switched to Sprycel. Have not had any liver enzyme issues since.

I've heard that many people have AST/ALT elevations on Tasigna but they eventually stabilize. This can be a serious issue so I would be vigilant. What kind of levels are you talking? Mine were 25 times normal. Generally, docs don't get too excited if the raw number doesn't go above 100.

Good luck.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#3 reedgirl

reedgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:37 PM

Pat,

Thanks for the reply...his counts have never returned to normal since September when he started the med.  He was upped to full dose first of December and thats when they climbed up higher.  The bilirubin went to 4.5, his AST is 68 (not too high), and his ALT is 169, that hasn't been below 100 since he started in Sept.  I think they were thinking that his numbers would maybe just be a new normal high like the WBC and others can sometimes run a little low becoming a new normal low.  I just don't know if it's ok to have these numbers elevated for so long, plus we're wondering what's going to happen once he goes back on the med after being off one week.  Wish I knew how long it would take to return to normal, and stay there.  It's been since Sept we've been dealing with this, so frustrating.  Wondering now if I should pursue additional tests on the liver to make sure there isn't any damage.

Hopefully they wont take him off completely, he was already taken off Gleevec so that just leaves us with Sprycel. Hate to exhaust all three meds in such a short time since diagnosis.

Thanks again for the reply Pat.  Glad to see Sprycel is working for you.

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:36 PM

Some info from a previous posting may also be useful:

http://community.lls...age/18171#18171

#5 reedgirl

reedgirl