• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 janner25

janner25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:33 PM

I was diagnosed in October 2010 with CML and was placed on tasigna.  I'm 36 and when I asked the doctor about having a baseline EKG prior to starting tasigna - as recommended by novartis.  The doctors office said they normally don't with someone my age.  I never had any heart issues or murmurs that were heard in the past.

I went to my primary today because of what I thought was sinus infection.  While the physical examine, the doctor asked if I had the heart murmur identified in the past?  I said no...I wonder, now that I'm 2 months in, if maybe the tasigna could cause the murmur?  I am going to the cardiologist on Monday...but didn't know if anyone else had this experience?  I am going to call my hematologist office tomorrow as well to ask - just wondered if anyone else in the group experienced this?

Thanks .

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:20 PM

A doc saying he heard a heart "murmur" is not accurate enough to do anything with.  An EKG could show more clearly if there is an actual issue, and whether it would be related to the QT cycle.  But the QT issue and a murmur are probably not related, since you cannot hear an elongated QT.  But since the doc brought it up, you should probably have the EKG done as Novartis suggests.

#3 janner25

janner25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:31 AM

Thanks! 

Of course it scares me because I have never had one heard in the past - and knowing that I specifically asked about getting EKG done - and was told because of my age they didn't do it...and then 2 months after I start tasigna they hear a heart murmur...just seems a little to coincidental to me.  But I'm sure it's fine!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users