• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 valiantchong

valiantchong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

I think she has to pull the break and make a u turn to retake the medications asap; I know of CMLer, whose WBC about 300K still able to survive after 6 yrs... I think she had to take the advise to retake her medication asap or else....

WIshes all the best for her... As Sprycell may able to get her back in remission,.

#22 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:06 AM

Hmmm, this is very sad and very strange.  If she's at "peace" with this decision then why even go to the doctor and get blood tests? If you're not going to do anything about it then the tests are pointless.  You could just sit back and let things run their course.  She's watching these levels increase and hopefully comes around and goes back on meds soon.  I wish you and your family the best.    

#23 helenet

helenet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:39 PM

I am so sorry for you!  I don't mean to be mean and selfish but I will not be reading any more from this thread anymore.  It is all too horrible and scarry! I will pray for you and your sister!  

#24 gianfranko

gianfranko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:48 PM

John wrote:

Hmmm, this is very sad and very strange.  If she's at "peace" with this decision then why even go to the doctor and get blood tests? If you're not going to do anything about it then the tests are pointless.  You could just sit back and let things run their course.  She's watching these levels increase and hopefully comes around and goes back on meds soon.  I wish you and your family the best.    

I agree.  The situation does not make any sense.  Like I asked in my previous post: what is the reason she has chosen this path?  Drug side effects?  Can anyone provide any measure of pain / suffering of current TKI side effects versus pain / suffering of letting the wbc go out of control?  I am guessin the latter is much worse in terms of pain / suffering.  Thus, leading to the conclusion that taking the meds is still the best decision.

But, as John wrote, why does she keep going to the doctor for cell counts...

I am sorry to suggest the following:

Isn't there a psychological disorder were people are constantly trying to get sympathy of others.  Don't such people actually go as far as pretending to be sick to accomplish this.  In this case the person actually has a verifyable disase and doesn't need to make up one.  If that is the case, she really needs to talk to a psychiatrist / psychologist.  And, if the outcome is fatal to onself, doesn't this call for having the person evaluated - even against her will (sorry I cant believe I just typed that)

#25 simone4

simone4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

Catlvr, my sympathies are with you as well as your sister.  She is tired and

weary and her decision is her own, not ours and not ours to judge.

Peace to both of you in the coming months.

Simone

#26 lala

lala

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:09 PM

I am sorry too.  My brother took his own life at 46 years old.....he couldn't live with his depression a minute longer.  He left a loving family behind----few could understand his choice----I did---his depression was killing him.  I didn't see it as selfish.  He was in great pain.  He was a wonderful guy!  Sometimes life is just too darn hard.  I hope your sister is sure of her decision and has lived a long life.

#27 janne

janne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:36 PM

I agree Simone with your post. It is too difficult to know what someone else is experiencing even though we have our own roads to walk down that may seem similar. I just lost my father in law in December 2010 to CLL. He fought for 28 years. He was my hero and we miss him terribly. He made the decision not to fight another lung infection with antibiotics. He was absolutely resolute in his decision. From the time he made that decision on his last admission to the hospital to his death was 4 1/2 days. I did not want to see him go. Besides being a kind man, he was also a source of inspiration to me. With only 2 1/2 years behind me in this diagnosis, I was in awe of how he continued to fight, and with decent quality of life too. He was very active and I feel I could have learned more from him, but I also realize that he endured some trying times in relationships with those who never really understood all that he went through. I console myself by knowing that he did what he chose at the time that was right for him. He fought a great fight. This woman we speak of has a different story in that her time is drawn out, but it is her decision. My prayers are with her.

Dx'd: 8/2008. Started Gleevec 400 mg 11/08. 

Drug break 2011.

Started Tasigna 4/11 450 mg.

Reduction to 300 mg Tasigna 1/2012.

PCRU 9/2012.

12/2012 Detectable.

PCRU 4/2013 through 3/2015. (Reduced to 150 mg 7/2014)

12/2015  ? slightly detectable at probably less than 0.01% per Mayo Clinic.

4/2016 PCRU. Still at 150 mg Tasigna.

CESSATION: stopped treatment 7/20/2017. 

9/6/2017:  barely detectable at 0.01%. 

12/11/2017: PCR at 0.09% (did not do the monthly PCR testing.) 

12/18/2017: Inevitable call from Onc. Started back on Tasigna at 150 mg. (Considering Sprycel low dose.) 

#28 Scottie

Scottie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:31 PM

I don't think any of us can really expect to know how another person is feeling and coping with their lives by reading in and writing about someones lack of will to 'GO ON'. We all have the courage to say she has no guts to stick it out or that she lacks the will to 'carry on', but who are we to speak of someone we know nothing of? I myself have felt the grip of life slip away from me as I lost my job, lost my friends, lost my family all due to my illness. Sure, I still hold my chin up high, BUT! do any of us know if this lady really has anyone to lean on. Yeah, Boo Hoo. We all feel sorry for ourselves. But I can surely tell you all that I've felt truely ALONE in losing my job, friends, etc. I only blame myself and do NOT condone the aforementioned topic of ceasing to survive. I will go on.

No one will call me every day to ask how I feel. No one will come over and invite me out to dinner. I am an annonomous freak of nature, but that's o.k. because I am strong willed and after 4 years of this s$@*, I will keep on rolling along. So now please all go and do your jobs and send this off to that lady who stopped taking her meds.

Peace, Scottie...

#29 valiantchong

valiantchong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:36 AM

From time to time, I think of givin up too...sometimes I wish someday some good things happen to me.... but rather sad.... I understand how one feels.... Well, I just hang on, hopes high something good will happen in future no mater how small the odds of getting the cure... may be one day in future oneday we will look back we feel sad for nothing, when the cure is found......

#30 random

random

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

catlvr, the idea is to take the treatment untill the cure will be discovered. Think of the progress made in the last years. Tell your sister that this is temporary. Tell her to pray to God and choose life.

Never quit!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users