44 replies to this topic

#41 JPD

JPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 11:47 PM

Indica vs. Sativa: What's the Difference?

Cannabis has two main species, indica and sativa, each with their own unique characteristics and a distinctive high. 

Anyone who uses marijuana likely knows that there are various strains available with different benefits and effects. Yet, what some novice users may not know is the role that indica and sativa play.

Learn the difference between these two types of cannabis — it could open your world to brand new strains.

Origin of Strains

Many experts debate whether cannabis is one species of plant, or two or three. Yet, most agree that the plant originates from the central Asian regions of Mongolia and southern Siberia. 

In 1753, a biologist by the name of Carl Linnaeus identified Cannabis sativa as a single species. Thirty-two years later, in 1785, Jean-Baptiste Lamarck described a second species from India. Because its characteristics were unlike Cannabis sativa, he named the new species Cannabis indica. Today, sativa and indica are accepted as the two major subtypes of cannabis.

Sativa seems to thrive in the warmer equatorial climates, such as Colombia, Mexico, Thailand and Southeast Asia. Indica grows better in the cooler temperatures and high altitude of the Hindu Kush mountain range, including regions of Afghanistan, Pakistan, Morocco, Nepal and Turkey.

Unique Characteristics

The most accurate way of identifying whether a plant is sativa or indica is by physical appearance

indica-vs-sativa-appearance.jpg

• Sativa plants are typically tall and thin and can grow upwards of 20 feet tall. Indicas are short and bushy, reaching a growing height of only 2 to 4 feet.
  • Sativas grow long branches and sprout narrow leaves that are typically light green in color. Indicas have fewer, shorter branches with wide leaves that are darker in color.
  • Sativas take longer to mature and are usually harvested between 10 to 16 weeks. Indicas mature in a shorter time span and are generally harvested between 6 to 8 weeks.

Effects

Sativa and indica strains each have their own unique high. While sativa strains are more stimulating, indicas tend to be more psychoactive

A feeling of well-being and ease is often associated with sativas, making them ideal for social situations. The high from sativa strains is energizingcerebral and well suited for daytime use. They are also said to promote deep conversation and enhance creativity. 

Indica strains, on the other hand, have an opposite effect. They provide a "couch-lock" body high that is well suited for nights when you just want to wind down and be in your own head. Indicas are often used to relieve stress and aid with sleep.

Medical Benefits

Sativas have a high CBD:THC ratio, while indicas have a high THC:CBD ratio. Naturally, both have their own medicinal benefits. 

Due to its high CBD content, sativas have a stimulating effect that improves alertness and optimism. So, patients may prefer to medicate with sativa during the day. 

Sativa is commonly used to treat mental and behavioral issues such as depression and ADHD. Because it is so stimulating, sativa may also help encourage hunger in patients who suffer from anorexia or certain types of cancer.

The higher levels of THC give indica strains sedative properties, making them ideal for medicating during the evening. 

Indica is commonly used to treat insomnia, chronic pain, muscle spasms and nausea. Indica may also be useful for fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis or lupus.

Read more: http://www.truthonpo...the-difference/

Indica's for the WIN!  Sativas get me a little bouncy in the brain.

January 15: .53%

April 15:       .78%

July 15:      1.1% - upped dosage to 400mg after this test

Oct 15:       .85%

December 15:  .28%

March 16: .29%

July 16: .34%

October 16: .11%

January 17: .081%

April 17: .055%

July 17: .135%

Oct 17: .008%

#42 jmoorhou

jmoorhou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationOutside of San Francisco

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:33 AM

I love Indica and do edibles, never a dose more than 5 mg.
Diagnosed 3/2014 WBC 28 Non detectable within 3 monthsGleevec 400 mg 5/2014 one hour after dinner really improves nausea300 mg 12/15/2016200 mg and 300 mg Gleevec 2/25/2017 (after 3 years on Gleevec) For last four months taking 300 mg per day. Last CMC showed liver enzymes elevated, went to a good Naturopath and he recommended 4 Tumeric, 10,000 mg Vitamen D, and 3 milk thistle (silymarin) daily. Also use One<p>Day Detox Dandeloin tea, and Nettle Tea and a slice of ginger every day...in two months liver tests were below normal.Janis

#43 Buzzm1

Buzzm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:54 AM

I love Indica and do edibles, never a dose more than 5 mg.

jmoorhou, do you have a particular indica variety that you are partial to?  Do you purchase from a dispensary, or on the open market (Craigslist, etc.) and what is the typical price that you pay for a given amount?  

For the benefit of yourself and others please add your CML history into your Signature

02/2010 Gleevec 400mg

2011 Two weakly positives, PCRU, weakly positive

2012 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU

2013 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, weakly positive

2014 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU (12/07 began dose reduction w/each continuing PCRU)

2015 300, 250, 200, 150

2016 100, 50/100, 100, 10/17 TFR

2017 01/17 TFR, 04/18 TFR, 07/18 TFR 0.0012, 08/29 TFR 0.001, 10/17 TFR 0.000

2018 01/16 TFR 0.0004 ... next quarterly PCR 04/17

At the earliest opportunity, and whenever possible, lower your TKI dosage; TKIs are toxic drugs and the less we take longterm the better off we are going to be ... this is especially true for older adults.  

In hindsight I should have started my dosage reduction two years earlier; it might have helped minimize some of the longterm cumulative toxic effects of TKIs that I am beset with.  

longterm side-effects Peripheral Artery Disease - legs (it's a bitch); continuing shoulder problems, right elbow inflammation.   GFR and creatinine vastly improved after stopping Gleevec.

Cumulative Gleevec dosage estimated at 830 grams

Taking Gleevec 400mg an hour after my largest meal of the day helped eliminate the nausea that Gleevec is notorious for.  

Trey's CML BlogStopping - The OddsStop Studies - Discussion Forum Cessation Study

Big PhRMA - Medicare Status - Social Security Status - Deficit/Debt

#44 gbarrett

gbarrett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:20 AM

Dear Gbarret,
My onc filled out the mmj paperwork and I have an mmj card here in Rhode Island. When I started gleevec I was very sick stomach pain was the worst but all of the pains were bad. I tried all the scripts he gave me but nothing worked. MMJ was a Godsend for me. I have used the CBD oil with thc and it worked just fine. I had not used any form of pot for 40 years but would say give it a try and see if it works as well for you as it did me.
ed

Dear Gbarret,
My onc filled out the mmj paperwork and I have an mmj card here in Rhode Island. When I started gleevec I was very sick stomach pain was the worst but all of the pains were bad. I tried all the scripts he gave me but nothing worked. MMJ was a Godsend for me. I have used the CBD oil with thc and it worked just fine. I had not used any form of pot for 40 years but would say give it a try and see if it works as well for you as it did me.
ed

Cedespres - since this post I have received my Medical Marijuana card from my state and have been using a high CBD RSO oil. It has helped tremendously! I have very minimal joint pain (was up to an 8 out of 10 before the oil) and it has taken away, 90%, of my headaches and migraines. It DOES NOT give me any high - 0% - to where I can still drive, work, cook, shop etc. I feel so much better now and there is no interaction with the Tasigna I take!

#45 jmoorhou

jmoorhou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationOutside of San Francisco

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:07 PM

I use it for nausea.
Diagnosed 3/2014 WBC 28 Non detectable within 3 monthsGleevec 400 mg 5/2014 one hour after dinner really improves nausea300 mg 12/15/2016200 mg and 300 mg Gleevec 2/25/2017 (after 3 years on Gleevec) For last four months taking 300 mg per day. Last CMC showed liver enzymes elevated, went to a good Naturopath and he recommended 4 Tumeric, 10,000 mg Vitamen D, and 3 milk thistle (silymarin) daily. Also use One<p>Day Detox Dandeloin tea, and Nettle Tea and a slice of ginger every day...in two months liver tests were below normal.Janis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users