Photo

Can excessive urination and thirst be due to Tasigna?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisT

ChrisT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

Hi,

I have been on Tasigna 400mg a day for about a year and I am very happy with it. Very low side effects and easy on my system. However, starting 3 weeks ago I noticed that I am constantly thirsty and simultanously began urinating excessively. It escalated to a point that I would drink a cup of water and in less than 10 minutes I would excerete almost that amount of water. It's as if I can't hold water in my body, no matter how thirsty I get. I stopped drinking coffee, wine, everything and it's still here.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I have ruled out UTI as there are no burning sensation. Last week I did a little experimentation by reducing my dose from 400 to 200 mg a day and by the 2nd day the thirst and urination subsided significantly. Yesterday I went back up to 400 mg and the problem is back and its very severe.

I plan to visit my oncologist this friday, but I thought I share it with you guys. Maybe someone has experienced this before and can tell me what to expect.

Thanks,

Chris

Dx'd April 2006

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:26 PM

There is a known link between Tasigna and increased thirst/urination.  The thirst and urination issue is likely a matter of which one is the chicken and which one is the egg -- which one is the side effect and which results from the side effect?

http://www.drugs.com/tasigna.html

See: "Side Effects"

#3 ChrisT

ChrisT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:07 AM

I saw that note in the pamphlet for Tasigna as well. Seems like it's a serious side effect, and not to be ignored. I assume unless it decides to go away on its own, my days on Tasigna are numbered.

Chris

#4 Deej

Deej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:29 AM

I;m not sure about Tasigna, however increased thirst and urination is a sign of diabetes.  I know some medications can cause or help with the development of diabetes secondary to weight gain etc.  My advice would be to check with your onc or FP.  It is easy enough to check out your blood.  Keep us posted with what you find out.

Deej

#5 mjbayes

mjbayes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:30 PM

Hi,

I have been on Tasigna for almost two years now. I started in the clinical research trial when Gleevec side effects were intolerable for me and also I was unable to reach pcru and had up and down results on gleevec.

I have had wonderful results with Tasigna. I take 800 mg per day every day for almost two years. I have noticed the frequent urination but not to the degree that you seem to be having. It seems like something else is going on. I guess everyone is different. Mostly my side effects with Tasigna is the bone and joint pain, extremely fatigue, and I do have a frequent problem with eye bleeds.

I sure wish you the best and let us know if they give you any additional information about the thrist and frequent urination.

Mary K,

Florida

mjbayes

#6 DanCml2010

DanCml2010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

@ Chris,

What ever happened with this? Are you still taking tasigna, did you get checked for diabetes?

I am having the same stuff happen to me. Was wondering what you found out.

Thanks

Daniel

#7 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:18 PM

I too have been living with frequent urination while on Tasigna. I didn't realize it could be a side effect until I read this.  I mentioned the problem to to my PCP and he said it was an overactive bladder.

But, I went to the Novartis site & can't find it listed as a side effect-am I missing something?

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

#8 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:36 AM

Chris,

I'm thinking that Tasigna can raise blood sugar levels in some people so there would seem to be a connection with thirst and frequent urination since that is also a sign of diabetes.

However, current thinking on Tasigna is that 600 mg. a day works just a well as 800 mg. for most people: (See Trey's post in this link) http://community.lls...age/84719#84719

You might want to discuss lowering your dosage with your onc since the issue appears to disappear at a lower dose.

Good luck.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#9 sdl722

sdl722

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

I've been dealing with excessive urination over the last few days as  well while on Tasigna as well.  I  have been drinking alot of water  because it continues to be hot in  Houston (17 days and counting of 100  degree weather), but not any more  than I have in the past.  A lot of times it feels like I have a hard time keeping water in my body.  I did see  on other websites that frequent  urination is a sign of diabetes.  When I  get my labs they do check my  glucose levels.  The last 3 visits (June  20, July 8, and July 28) the  glucose numbers have been 114, 125, and  115. these are slightly high for a fasting person, but I am not fasting when I get tested (usually finish breakfast about 1-1.5 hours before the blood draw).  So I wouldn't think I would be dealing with diabetes at those glucose numbers while not-fasting.  I go back again for labs on Aug 25th and Sept 22nd, so I will have a few more data points and a couple of more opportunities to discuss with a doctor.  It making me just a bit anxious that it has suddenly happened over the last few days.

Anyone have additional thoughts or comments?

Stephen

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users