Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

Dasatinib Dose Management for the Treatment of Chronic Myeloid Leukemia

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cncr.31232/pdf

How to individualize therapy remains to be explored. Because clinical trials do not focus on individualized treatment, it is up to clinicians to take into account the needs of the patient: age, emerging AEs, or other factors may enter into the decision to modify dosing.

"... several case reports have corroborated the results of the previously discussed studies. In one report, a patient aged 85 years was successfully treated with 20 mg of dasatinib twice weekly after developing liver dysfunction while receiving imatinib and achieved MMR 24 months later.17 In another report, 2 patients with CML-CP were treated with 20 to 50 mg per day of dasatinib; 1 patient maintained undetectable BCR-ABL1 transcripts for up to 1 year and 1 patient had levels of BCR-ABL1 transcripts that were 4 to 5 logs reduced (at times the levels were undetectable).18 "

Conclusions:

Available data have suggested that administering dasatinib below currently approved doses may minimize AEs and maintain efficacy. Drug holidays (days of treatment respite) as an alternative to dose reductions is another means with which to mitigate AEs while keeping efficacy high. Maintenance therapy (administering a drug at a different dosing schedule to maintain a desired level of response) may be a suitable treatment goal, and data from current trials should aid in developing guidelines for what maintenance therapy should

be.

(Note: for those who need data and evidence to show their doctor that modifying dose is now an emerging standard, feel free to cite the link above by a leader in the field, Dr. Talpaz. Any doctor who insists full dose is the only prescription is now dated and doing a dis-service to their patients or worse. I take 20 mg and remain PCRU. I feel no side effects)

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#2 jch

jch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

Went undetected in about a year on 100mg of Sprycel. Dropped to 70mg of Sprycel. jumped out of undetected but staying the course on 70mg.

jch

6/13/2016  100% IS  

7/17/16 Started 100mg Sprycel

8/26/2016  4.839% IS

3/9/2017    0.021% IS

7/7/2017    Not Detected

7/27/2017  Sprycel reduced to 70mg

I wanted to drop to 50mg but agreed to 70mg for now

9/9/17        0.079% IS  

11/10/17    0.020% IS

12/23/17    0.030% IS  Staying on 70mg Sprycel

#3 M.A.

M.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:40 PM

Thank you for posting this article Scuba!

I have printed it out and will be taking it to my haematology appointment next Thursday. It will be so helpful for so many patients. I wish it had been available a year and a half ago when I had massive anxiety and many sleepless nights wondering if I should reduce my dose against my doctor's advice.

I think my haematologist will want to increase my Sprycel dose if my BCR ABL has continued to plateau, so that is the next big dilemma. I need him to write me a new prescription next Thursday as my current one has run out.

CML diagnosed April 2016

Type One Diabetes diagnosed April 1980 (age 12)

BCR-ABL (IS)

46.77  April 2016

3.568  July 2016  

0.076  Oct 2016

0.016  Feb 2017

0.0079  April 2017

0.014  July 2017

0.019  Sept 2017

0.011  Nov 2017

0.019  Jan 2018

Sprycel

100mg April 29 - September 22

75mg  September 23 - October 28

50mg October 29 2016 to present

#4 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:12 PM

Scuba - Very persuasive indeed.  This review must have been what Dr. Druker was citing when he emailed me back.  On my last visit to the onc I argued that dasatinib was possibly different, with its short half-life and superior binding and that even after the washout some effect was continuing, and my onc got quiet.  I didn't tell him where I got it; he must have assumed I read Talpaz's article. 

Of note, however, in the Shah article (Transient Potent BCR-ABL Inhibition is Sufficient to Commit CML Cells Irreversibly to Apoptosis), he admits:  ". . . a threshold level of kinase inhibition must be exceeded to commit cells to death and that threshold is determined by both the magnitude and duration of target inhibitions."  So, what magnitude?  Nobody seems to set up these studies with 20 mg dasatinib standing in for "low" dose; instead, they use 50 mg or at the most, 40 mg.  So, the question comes back:  is 20 mg of sufficient magnitude to commit cells to death?  And, if not, does that not set up the resistance model?

Still, this is so helpful, Scuba.  They're truly establishing with these studies that intermittent dosing is OK, that living with low residual disease is OK, that older people need less drug, that AE's like pleural effusions might be prevented by lowering doses ahead of time; even the construct of induction dose/maintenance dose is a new way of looking at things.

What will we do without this forum to find out these things???!!!!??

Does anyone know if Dr. Talpaz welcomes emails from patients?  And what his email is?  (I should make an appointment and go visit my son and his family in Ann Arbor. ;))

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#5 LouiseS

LouiseS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for posting this. My husband is a bit nervous about reducing his dose esp with a reluctant onc but I feel he should give it a go. Just in the last week above and below his eyes have become itchy and sometimes swollen ( like John reported) and it makes me nervous about what lies aheadon 100 mg Sprycel.

Scuba any suggestions for the itchy swollen eyes - I bought some turmeric as that is supposed to promote healthy inflammation but it does say consult your doctor before use.

Louise

#6 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for posting this. My husband is a bit nervous about reducing his dose esp with a reluctant onc but I feel he should give it a go. Just in the last week above and below his eyes have become itchy and sometimes swollen ( like John reported) and it makes me nervous about what lies aheadon 100 mg Sprycel.

Scuba any suggestions for the itchy swollen eyes - I bought some turmeric as that is supposed to promote healthy inflammation but it does say consult your doctor before use.

Louise

I am a strong proponent of Turmeric / Curcumin for use in combating inflammation and as an adjuvant alongside a TKI. Curcumin is also just plain good for you to take:

https://www.nutraing...n-boosting-link

My skin looks much younger than my years - and I credit Curcumin in part. Give it a go.

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

#7 LouiseS

LouiseS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

Thank you. I grabbed the Turmeric with Curcumin from Costco 1000mg. Maybe I should take it too. :)

#8 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:34 AM

Thank you. I grabbed the Turmeric with Curcumin from Costco 1000mg. Maybe I should take it too. :)

Curcumin is good for other reasons as well.

https://wholefoodsma...improve-memory/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users