SandyG353

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:57 PM

Hi Everyone.

I haven't written in a while, but wanted to let you know the latest news.   My daughter had been in molecular remission in 9 months after starting Gleevec 8  and a half years ago.  Her oncologist thought of taking her off of Gleevec, but switched labs and her numbers went up very slightly .005.  He decided not to do it.  I contacted Dr. Drucker who wanted blood work to be sent to him to analyze because he felt that she was a perfect candidate to go off of Gleeec.  The good news is that the new lab now shows 000, but her oncologist won't make the decision of cessation.  Dr. Drucker is sending out a kit from which her oncologist will draw blood and return to Dr. Drucker who will make the decision.   He is such a great man. My daughter is not his patient,  Yet, he has responded to our e-mails within a day for many years.  Now he will examine her blood and work along with the oncologist she uses in New Jersey.   She will have the blood drawn next week.  We are excited about having Dr. Drucker involved and the possibility that she may be able to remain in remission.  I will keep you posted.  She was already tested to find out whether Gleevec will work if she relapses.  It will.

Sandy

#2 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:23 PM

I am so thankful for doctors like Dr. Drucker. You stated, "She was already tested to find out whether Gleevec will work if she relapses."  How do they test for this?  I wish her the very best.

#3 ROMO

ROMO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:24 PM

Sounds like your in good hands.
If your daughter wins we all win.

Romo

DX August 2016. WBC ~160K
PH+ Cells 36%
No Spleen enlargement
No Symptoms. Other counts ~Normal
BCR-ABL p210 (Detected)
BCR-ABL p190 (Not Detected)

Sprycel 100mg.
PCR   02/01/2017    0.146 IS
PCR   08/07/2017    0.022 IS
Next PCR:           12/XX/2017

#4 SandyG353

SandyG353

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:03 AM

Thank you Romo.  The kit will come on Weds.  My daughter will make the arrangements with the oncologist to draw the blood and Fed Ex it back to Drucker.  We are eagerly awaiting the results.   Dr.Druker's nurse believes that her insurance company, Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey , will either pay the lab work or part of it.  It is definitely worth the price if she has to pay out of pocket.  We will have the advice of the Guru.

#5 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

This is wonderful - wish you the best.  I am curious like tiredblood - what test is there that tells your daughter will respond if she goes back on Gleevec?

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#6 SandyG353

SandyG353

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

I have no idea what  test my daughter's doctor gave her to determine whether  she will respond back to Gleevec if cessation shows the numbers climbing back up.  Right now the test that Dr. Druker wanted was taken and sent to his lab. in Portland.  We are waiting for the results to see if she can stop taking Gleevec.  I will keep you informed.  My daughter is one who doesn't  look at her blood results.  She just listens to what the oncologist tells her.  I would like her to sign a release so that I can read and keep the results of all of her blood work.  I mentioned it to her, but so far she hasn't signed the release.  I am hoping that Dr. Druker will say that she can come off of the drug because she has been complaining of bad abdominal pains which neither the G.I. nor oncologist can say the cause.  According to her, her kidney numbers are not looking that good. She told me this today after I suggested talking Motrin for the pain. She wanted to limit it to before going to sleep because of concern of kidney numbers.

Sandy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users