Photo

How gradual should dose reduction be when stopping?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lori's okay

Lori's okay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWashington DC area

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:55 AM

In Trey's blog on the cessation issue, he says, "That is why it is better to reduce dosage before going into a TKI cessation program."

I've read this several places.  How long do people suggest this dose reduction take?

My Tasigna dose has been half the normal for several years, was taking 150 mg twice a day most of this time.  My doctor suggested doing once a day for a week or two, then once every other day for a week or two.  That seems like a very short time to reduce the dose.  This is mostly to hopefully minimize the withdrawal pain some have.  (I know we are experimenting here, with no definitive answers.)

Any thoughts?

Also, Buzz, would it be better for me to ask this in my other topic on stopping?  or in the main cessation topic rather than starting a new topic?

DX 09-2011 PCR 8.08 not IS WBC 17 , Began Tasigna 600mg  

in 2012 Tasigna 450mg/day ,in 2013-2017 Tasigna 300mg/day

DATE/PCR

09-11/ 8.08 not IS

03-12/ 0.054 not IS

06-12/ 0.035 not IS

09-12/ PCRU, 01-13/ PCRU

4-13/ 0.042 IS

7-13/ 0.014 IS

11-13/ PCRU, 04-14/ PCRU

8-14/ 0.006 IS

PCRU: 12-14/ 05-15/ 10-15/ 02-16/ 

09-16/ 02-17/ 09-17/ 

10-17 tapered off 

11-3-17 Stopped Tasigna

1-15-18 still PCRU

#2 Buzzm1

Buzzm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

Lori's okay, we don't have separate topic-related areas to post in, only threads..

Not everyone experiences withdrawal side-effects.  I think I read that only 38% of us do.  It is my belief that it is better to reduce one's dosage gradually before cessation to possibly minimize withdrawal side-effects, or to at least spread out those withdrawal side-effects over time.  It's also less of a shock to the body.

Gradual dose reduction also serves to confirm the depth of one's undetected status; not everyone who is undetected on a full TKI dose, might remain undetected on a lesser dose.

Many, among us, aren't able to tolerate a full dose of a given TKI, and reduce out of necessity ... suffering is overrated ... if issues with TKIs don't resolve themselves within a given period of time, consult with your oncologist about a dosage reduction, or a possible switch to another TKI.  

There isn't any hard and fast rule on how gradual reduction should be, or how long one should remain at any reduced level, but after remaining undetected on a full dose for at least a year, two quarterly testing cycles at each level when going to three-quarters, a half, or a quarter, might be a good rule of thumb.  Some, who have been on a TKI for over a decade, might find it preferable to extend the time at each level.  Some, who have been on a TKI for over a decade, and have attempted cessation, have had to return to their TKI, due to the severity of withdrawal side-effects ... to attempt a course of gradual dosage reduction to lessen the impact of withdrawal side-effects.  

Play it by ear.  We each have a unique experience with our TKI.  What works for someone else may not work for you.  

Good Luck.

For the benefit of yourself and others please add your CML history into your Signature

02/2010 Gleevec 400mg

2011 Two weakly positives, PCRU, weakly positive

2012 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU

2013 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, weakly positive

2014 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU (12/07 began dose reduction w/each continuing PCRU)

2015 300, 250, 200, 150

2016 100, 50/100, 100, 10/17 TFR

2017 01/17 TFR, 04/18 TFR, 07/18 TFR 0.0012, 08/29 TFR 0.001, 10/17 TFR 0.000

2018 01/16 TFR 0.0004 ... next quarterly PCR 04/17

At the earliest opportunity, and whenever possible, lower your TKI dosage; TKIs are toxic drugs and the less we take longterm the better off we are going to be ... this is especially true for older adults.  

In hindsight I should have started my dosage reduction two years earlier; it might have helped minimize some of the longterm cumulative toxic effects of TKIs that I am beset with.  

longterm side-effects Peripheral Artery Disease - legs (it's a bitch); continuing shoulder problems, right elbow inflammation.   GFR and creatinine vastly improved after stopping Gleevec.

Cumulative Gleevec dosage estimated at 830 grams

Taking Gleevec 400mg an hour after my largest meal of the day helped eliminate the nausea that Gleevec is notorious for.  

Trey's CML BlogStopping - The OddsStop Studies - Discussion Forum Cessation Study

Big PhRMA - Medicare Status - Social Security Status - Deficit/Debt

#3 Buzzm1

Buzzm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

One other thing, even if not stopping, I think it is important that we reduce our TKI dosage to as low a level as possible, as soon as possible.  This is especially true for older adults as our body isn't as tolerant of toxic drugs, and TKIs are toxic drugs.

For the benefit of yourself and others please add your CML history into your Signature

02/2010 Gleevec 400mg

2015 300, 250, 200, 150

At the earliest opportunity, and whenever possible, lower your TKI dosage; TKIs are toxic drugs and the less we take longterm the better off we are going to be ... this is especially true for older adults.  

In hindsight I should have started my dosage reduction two years earlier; it might have helped minimize some of the longterm cumulative toxic effects of TKIs that I am beset with.  

longterm side-effects Peripheral Artery Disease - legs (it's a bitch); continuing shoulder problems, right elbow inflammation.   GFR and creatinine vastly improved after stopping Gleevec.

Taking Gleevec 400mg an hour after my largest meal of the day helped eliminate the nausea that Gleevec is notorious for.  

Trey's CML BlogStopping - The OddsStop Studies - Discussion Forum Cessation Study

#4 cmljax

cmljax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:24 PM

Lori:

You certainly qualify for cessation based on the various STOP trials. I do not qualify, but have cut my Tasigna dose from 600 mg 1 year ago to 150 mg recently. The reductions were done because of multiple nasty side effects, most of which have improved markedly, and because of my rapid and deep response. My onc tests me every 6 weeks following each reduction.

If I had your length of treatment and response history, I would first reduce to 150 mg and test PCR in 6 weeks and then 6 weeks again and if you are still PCRU, then stop.  But that's just me. Many people just stop cold turkey so to speak.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Dx 9/26/16 WBC 28800; platelets 749; FISH 97% PCR 43%

Tasigna 600MG per day

October 2016                     PCR 22% IS

November 2016                 PCR 5.8% IS

December 2016                 PCR 0.1% IS  MMR!!

March 10, 2017                 PCR 0.006% IS  MR 4.22

Tasigna 450MG per day

April 5, 2017                      PCR <.003% IS

June 5, 2017                     PCR <.003% IS (dose reduction validated!!!)

Tasigna 300MG per day starting June 15, 2017

6-day drug break starting June 20, 2017 due to multiple AE's

July 24, 2017                     PCR <.003% IS

September 18, 2017          Negative, AKA PCRU

Tasigna 150mg per day starting 9/18/17

October 30, 2017               Negative

December 11, 2017           Negative

#5 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:29 PM

I stopped the TKI on 10/12/15, cold turkey, and went about 4 days before the TKI withdrawal syndrome symptoms began. Pain in shoulders, hands, hips, knees and feet.  Mostly shoulders and hips, terrible pain-- just like I later read the TKI syndrome is described.  It lasted for about 3 months. I had contacted a CML expert in France who told me, "The withdrawal syndrome is difficult to treat If common medications are not efficent, the best results are observed with low dose steroids (10 to 20 mg/d) followed by a slow dose decrease."  I'm not sure how slow of a decrease he was talking about.  I had tried heat, Tylenol, ibuprofen, tramadol, Cymbalta with minimal, if any relief.  My hem/onc is not good at replying to my calls (although otherwise a great doc).  I had called asking for a low-dose steroid and never got a call back. By the time my next appointment had arrived, the symptoms had somewhat abated. If I had to go through it again, I'd try a very slow decrease, after having a low-dose steroid prescription in hand.

I've had pain almost the entire time I've been on a TKI. Within a week or so of first initiating a TKI, I had some horrible pain.  This was my first experience where I called, now my former doc, and was told, the pain wasn't caused by the TKI or CML.  I sat outside my workplace on a bench after that call and boo-hoo'd until time to go into work.  I had never, ever hurt like that and the only thing new in my life was the TKI.  

With that in mind, I wonder....

1) If a person has experienced TKI withdrawal symptoms in the past, would they experience them again when they restarted and stopped taking the TKI?  I imagine very likely.

2)  Why do some people experience the pain and others do not?

3)  If a patient is among those who experience pain shortly after first initiating the TKI, are those generally the same people who experience TKI withdrawal symptoms?

#6 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:44 PM

Buzzm1 posted, Gradual dose reduction also serves to confirm the depth of one's undetected status; not everyone who is undetected on a full TKI dose, might remain undetected on a lesser dose.

My hem/onc had told me that patient's who loose their response after stopping the TKI, tend to relapse within 6 months of cessation and I think the data backs that up.  It does seem to me like a *very* slow reduction with cessation as the end goal may be wise. Perhaps a dose reduction no less than every 6 months.  What are your thoughts on this?

#7 Buzzm1

Buzzm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:19 AM

Buzzm1 posted, Gradual dose reduction also serves to confirm the depth of one's undetected status; not everyone who is undetected on a full TKI dose, might remain undetected on a lesser dose.

My hem/onc had told me that patient's who loose their response after stopping the TKI, tend to relapse within 6 months of cessation and I think the data backs that up.  It does seem to me like a *very* slow reduction with cessation as the end goal may be wise. Perhaps a dose reduction no less than every 6 months.  What are your thoughts on this?

That is what I wrote:

There isn't any hard and fast rule on how gradual reduction should be, or how long one should remain at any reduced level, but after remaining undetected on a full dose for at least a year, two quarterly testing cycles at each level when going to three-quarters, a half, or a quarter, might be a good rule of thumb.  Some, who have been on a TKI for over a decade, might find it preferable to extend the time at each level.  Some, who have been on a TKI for over a decade, and have attempted cessation, have had to return to their TKI, due to the severity of withdrawal side-effects ... to attempt a course of gradual dosage reduction to lessen the impact of withdrawal side-effects.  

Play it by ear.  We each have a unique experience with our TKI.  What works for someone else may not work for you.  

Good Luck.

That being said, I also consider it unnecessary to undergo additional BCR-ABL testing when going through dose reduction.  Simply begin each dose reduction six weeks before your next quarterly test, and then test again after a full three months, before going on to another dose reduction six weeks before your next quarterly test.  During dose reduction, It isn't as if your BCR-ABL level is suddenly going to run rampant while you are still on a substantial TKI dose, and when you have gone through a gradual dosage reduction, if, and when, you get there, even one-fourth TKI dose is still a substantial dose.  

But, if you, or your oncologist, insist, you are welcome to test more frequently; I just don't happen to see it buying you anything under normal circumstances.  

02/2010 Gleevec 400mg

2015 300, 250, 200, 150

#8 Buzzm1

Buzzm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:46 PM

Another reason why it is good to go through dosage reduction before cessation is that, in the event of a relapse during your cessation attempt, you can safely restart at a lower dosage.   

02/2010 Gleevec 400mg

2015 300, 250, 200, 150

#9 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:59 AM

There is no magic formula.  I would simply reduce the dosage by about 25% each week over four weeks until at zero.  The pill dosage is often an issue for doing anything so exactly, so whatever comes close to that.

#10 ROMO

ROMO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:20 PM

I did my own dose reduction. Three months after my DX with two of those
months spent house bound and very sick I decided that I didn't want to
live this way and started breaking my 100mg Sprycel in half.

After a while I realized that any changes in my condition would be slow.
I went to my five months PCR test and all was good. It worked for me.
I was concerned about this and researched a study by some pediatricians
and Bristol Meyers on how to administer Sprycel to infants that can't
swallow pills. Bristol Meyer suggested to crush the dose and give in baby
food. Care needs to be made not to get the powder in the eyes as this can
be irreparable. Get it in your eyes and it's bad.

Our fortunes are not day to day there are chronic. A slow motion concern.
We are seekers of our best solutions. it's our job.

My numbers are good, my DR's happy ( I haven't told him) and I'm moving
on. We are our own Doctors.

Romo

DX August 2016. WBC ~160K
PH+ Cells 36%
No Spleen enlargement
No Symptoms. Other counts ~Normal
BCR-ABL p210 (Detected)
BCR-ABL p190 (Not Detected)

Sprycel 100mg.
PCR   02/01/2017    0.146 IS
PCR   08/07/2017    0.022 IS