#1 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWilloughby oh

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:47 AM

Hi So I had to stop my Sprycel 70 mg after 7 years due to PE first time and allot of fluid on both lungs. Got one lung drained said couldn't do other one. So I've been off Sprycel now for 4 months and I have lower numbers then ever! Last two were .0686 and this one is .0181 I couldn't even get to MMR until June 2017 my numbers have always jumped around. Last Xray showed I still have a small amount of fluid on one lung.

For someone who never could reach MMR till recently now off drug and have had lower number then I ever have. Dr can't explain it just reminds me this is probably temporary I get PCR monthly. I have never felt this good since DX. I feel like myself again. I didn't realize how crappy I felt till this break! It's been a great break.

Has anyone else who had trouble getting and holding MMR ever been off the drug 4 months or longer with numbers staying lower then ever? If so how long did the vacation last?

Mystery but I'll take it ! I feel like myself after 7 years of crap.

The surprising thing for me is my numbers have never stabilized, always jumped around, sometimes jumped  up even on pills. I never missed pills either. took me 7 years to get to MMR. I was just bearly MMR and only for 2 months before going off. Couldn't get to MMR. weird! But I'll take it!

Have a good day everyone!

Cathy

DX 5-2010  Started normal hydra then Gleevec for 9 months stopped working

Tasigna after 5 pills pancreatis  numbers jumped up quickly

Started Sprycel 100, 8-2010  for a 3 years went down to 50 mg numbers at one point really jumped up quickly

currently on 70 mg for last 2-3 years trying to get onc to reduce dose Numbers never stabilize never MMR till 4-2017 bearly and jump up and down in and out of MMR stayed MMR for 3 months then

After 6 years on sprycel fluid on both lungs, drained still have some fluid on lungs, and currently off drug 4 months now

numbers lower then ever go figure I've never been this low of a number 

last 2 tests .0686 and .0181 !!

#2 Jan0080

Jan0080

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:02 AM

Cathy, Congratulations!  This just shows how little we know.  Stay well!

Diagnosed Dec 27, 2016 started Sprycel 100 mg Jan 7, 2017. Initial PCR 77.9 after 30 days 28.4, day 79 1.4 and day 115 0.1%. That is a 99.9% reduction! Sprycel 100 mg for 3 months, 80 mg for 1 month and now at 50 mg. Hooray for Sprycel!!! PCR June 5, 2017 0.04! Dose reduction to 40 mg 6/15/2017 due to shortness of breath. 20 mg as of June 29th. PCR .02 9/11/2017. PCR .015 IS as of 12/11/2017. Lungs substantially better. Low dose Sprycel works!

Adverse Effect - At about week 6 of Sprycel sharp muscle pain that would start at 2 AM and last for about 4 hours. This lasted about 4 weeks and went away, thank goodness.

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:50 PM

...never could reach MMR till recently now off drug and have lower [PCR] number than I ever have. Dr can't explain it ...

Not sure it will persist, but if it does explain this to your doctor:

The explanation is probably that TKI drugs and especially Sprycel decrease the numbers of Natural Killer (NK) cells in the patient, and these are the cells thought to be capable of providing cessation success in some people.  After stopping the TKI the NK levels return to normal.  If the NK cells recognize the leukemic cells as foreign, they can attack them.  This may be a learned issue for NK cells, but unclear.  NK cells are innate immunity and not acquired (acquired immunity is from a vaccine or having had a certain disease and then have immunity -- those are T-cells). 

#4 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

I'm so happy you feel like yourself again. When the hem/onc asks me how I feel I always answer, I don't know. I don't know how I'm supposed to feel, but I bet I'm supposed to feel way better than I do.

I pray you will maintain and even improve on this great response.

#5 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWilloughby oh

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the replies, I just wanted to put this out here to see if anyone else has experienced something like this. It's pretty amazing to me and I think to my onc. I don't think I realized how bad I felt till I've had this nice break.. Its a extreme difference for me! Very thankful for this break!!!

My sister keeps telling I act like my self again like before cancer! LOL I'm happier I know that! Can do allot more things energy wise.

Wishing all good health ! and better days!

Cathy

Started Sprycel 100, 8-2010  for a 3 years went down to 50 mg numbers at one point really jumped up quickly

currently on 70 mg for last 2-3 years trying to get onc to reduce dose Numbers never stabilize never MMR till 4-2017 bearly and jump up and down in and out of MMR stayed MMR for 3 months then

After 6 years on sprycel fluid on both lungs, drained still have some fluid on lungs, and currently off drug 4 months now

#6 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:25 AM

Not sure it will persist, but if it does explain this to your doctor:

The explanation is probably that TKI drugs and especially Sprycel decrease the numbers of Natural Killer (NK) cells in the patient, and these are the cells thought to be capable of providing cessation success in some people.  After stopping the TKI the NK levels return to normal.  If the NK cells recognize the leukemic cells as foreign, they can attack them.  This may be a learned issue for NK cells, but unclear.  NK cells are innate immunity and not acquired (acquired immunity is from a vaccine or having had a certain disease and then have immunity -- those are T-cells). 

Below are references that document Dasatnib "increases" NK-cells, but decreases NK cell reactivity.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/20143399

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23108877

Also - NK cells are a type of T-cell. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T_cell)

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#7 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:59 PM

Below are references that document Dasatnib "increases" NK-cells, but decreases NK cell reactivity.

Also - NK cells are a type of T-cell. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T_cell)

The wiki reference you included says NK cells are NOT T-cells:

"T cells can be distinguished from other lymphocytes, such as B cells and natural killer cells, by the presence of a T-cell receptor on the cell surface."

On the NK numbers, the way you said it is more accurate, namely the NK function is decreased, not the numbers, so a good input.  But the result is the same, namely downregulated NK cells could negatively affect PCR numbers in some people.  And after Sprycel cessation the functionality will return to normal, and could affect PCR numbers positively.

#8 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:44 PM

Shouldn't we all be tested for NK cell activity, for the data?  And, what is going on with the person with long-standing PCRU (say, 10 years) and cessation is unsuccessful?  What is going on with the NK cells?  Can there be booster shots given?

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#9 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWilloughby oh

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:50 AM

HI so just an update. It's been a full 4 months off Sprycel now and last set of numbers jumped up from .0181 to .0383. My WBC was up to 14.45 that is way higher for me then ever Usually I'm around 5 something. I'm still in MMR so not concerned. It just been interesting how my body is keeping my numbers down and I never even have had a deep remission I'm always just over the line a little this year.  And still detected I have never been undetected in 7 years! geez

My Dr is retesting my CBC again and wants to look at a blood smear just to see what is going on. I'm not concerned and just reporting in for those who are following this journey. I've been so thankful for this big break in pills. It's so great to feel so normal this long!

Hope everyone is doing well.

Cathy

Cathy

#10 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

So happy for you!  Thanks for keeping us posted, as your findings are so interesting.  I was off Sprycel for two months for a pleural effusion and felt absolutely fabulous.  It was night and day and almost as sudden (at about two weeks off).  Like you, I had forgotten how it felt before CML.  Back to "normal" now felt like physical euphoria - tons of energy, light and quick legs, sunny outlook - plus I felt like I had all the air in the world.  Hadn't even really noticed when that had changed.  Wow.  Unfortunately, I had to go back.  I call it the Flowers for Algernon Syndrome.  I'm pretty sure I have another pleural effusion - can't take time to check right now as I have to go clean up my place that Irma hit badly - but when I get the PE confirmed I'll get another break from Sprycel.  Ridiculous, but I'm really looking forward to it!  You'll understand.

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#11 Buzzm1

Buzzm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:00 PM

Cathy, thank you for continuing to keep us apprised of your highly unusual response after being off Sprycel for five months.  Hopefully your case will receive attention by the CML medical community for anything that might be gained; it's at least something unheard of among those of us on this discussion forum.  When will you test again?

For the benefit of yourself and others please add your CML history into your Signature

02/2010 Gleevec 400mg

2011 Two weakly positives, PCRU, weakly positive

2012 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU

2013 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, weakly positive

2014 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU (12/07 began dose reduction w/each continuing PCRU)

2015 300, 250, 200, 150

2016 100, 50/100, 100, 10/17 TFR

2017 01/17 TFR, 04/18 TFR, 07/18 TFR 0.0012, 08/29 TFR 0.001, 10/17 TFR 0.000

2018 01/16 TFR 0.0004 ... next quarterly PCR 04/17

At the earliest opportunity, and whenever possible, lower your TKI dosage; TKIs are toxic drugs and the less we take longterm the better off we are going to be ... this is especially true for older adults.  

In hindsight I should have started my dosage reduction two years earlier; it might have helped minimize some of the longterm cumulative toxic effects of TKIs that I am beset with.  

longterm side-effects Peripheral Artery Disease - legs (it's a bitch); continuing shoulder problems, right elbow inflammation.   GFR and creatinine vastly improved after stopping Gleevec.

Cumulative Gleevec dosage estimated at 830 grams

Taking Gleevec 400mg an hour after my largest meal of the day helped eliminate the nausea that Gleevec is notorious for.  

Trey's CML BlogStopping - The OddsStop Studies - Discussion Forum Cessation Study

Big PhRMA - Medicare Status - Social Security Status - Deficit/Debt

#12 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWilloughby oh

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:05 AM

I know its all so weird but I'll take the break. I have to still have another xray  sometime my fluid was still present a month ago. I image I'll test again in 4 weeks. My onc won't go more then that right now.

My WBC being 14.5 is unusual for me so he had me do another CBC yesterday and wanted to look at blood smear under microscope just to check on what cells are there. He is just very cautious and I'm okay with that. 

So I'm image another month to feeling normal and great. I'm sure I'll have to go back on pills at some point just enjoying this while I can. It's such a blessing to feel like yourself. Major difference for me!

Take care all

Cathy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users