6 replies to this topic

#1 rct

rct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:25 AM

Sprycel takers, do you have to eat to take it?  Mrs now 11 years on Gleevec, for lots of reasons this could be a time to try something different.  Food and Gleevec has become a significant issue, as does the nausea that happens if not quite enough of the right food.

What is the experience here with the amounts of food needed or not for Sprycel?  Thank You.

rct

#2 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:05 AM

I do not take any food with Sprycel. No nausea whatsoever. 

I prefer to take Sprycel at night before bedtime with a glass of water.

It does its job overnight and is largely gone from your system by morning (5 hour half-life).

This enables recovery of mealanocytes so that normal skin tan is possible. I do not burn in the sun as some have reported when taking Sprycel.

Also - given your wife is at or close to PCRU - absolutely no need to take full dose Sprycel. Pleural effusion is a risk at full dose along with other side effects (myelosuppression). I take 20mg Sprycel and it has kept me below 0.01% (undetected at last PCR). I do not feel this dose in any way.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#3 rct

rct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

Thank You!

#4 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:26 AM

rct - I never have given a thought to the food or drink combo with Sprycel.  It seems any way you want to do it is fine.  I've never once had nausea or any other GI disturbances from Sprycel, and I most certainly did with Gleevec, even when I was scrupulously careful. 

What Scuba said about melanocytes is intriguing - I might try experimenting with that.  I have noticed that the no-color cadaver skin tone is definitely better on Sprycel 50 than on 70 or 100, which was in turn tons and tons better than when on Gleevec 400.

Good luck to the missus! Go for it!

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#5 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

rct - I never have given a thought to the food or drink combo with Sprycel.  It seems any way you want to do it is fine.  I've never once had nausea or any other GI disturbances from Sprycel, and I most certainly did with Gleevec, even when I was scrupulously careful. 

What Scuba said about melanocytes is intriguing - I might try experimenting with that.  I have noticed that the no-color cadaver skin tone is definitely better on Sprycel 50 than on 70 or 100, which was in turn tons and tons better than when on Gleevec 400.

Good luck to the missus! Go for it!

The link below references a nice summary of related toxicities (and their effect on other systems) of targeted therapies. Do a search within the article on your TKI and you can see where your TKI is listed and what it affects. In the case of Sprycel (aka Dasatinib), c-kit and src inhibition are additional factors to consider that affect other body functions. Melanocytes use c-kit receptors. The good news is that melanocytes are not reduced in number due to Dasatinib use. They just stop or slow down while the drug is present. This is why I switched time I take sprycel to the evening. When I am out in the sun, most of the Sprycel is gone and melanocytes begin functioning again. I have tested this over the years and it's clear to me that taking Sprycel during the day led to a paler skin subject to burning that was eliminated when I took Sprycel at night.

http://onlinelibrary...caac.21184/full

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#6 Jan0080

Jan0080

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:30 PM

I take Omeprazole/Prilosec which can reduce the effectiveness of Sprycel if taken simultaneously. I take my Sprycel at about 2 AM when I wake up to pee. I take the Omeprazole 4 hours later. The Sprycel is like a weed killer and once 4 hours have passed, it has done its daily work. Rarely I eat at an early hour but there is zero nausea with Sprycel. My PCR numbers have come down dramatically, I am now at 20 mg. My lungs are working well. I'm hoping that my PCR continues down at my next Oncologist visit
Diagnosed Dec 27, 2016 started Sprycel 100 mg Jan 7, 2017. Initial PCR 77.9 after 30 days 28.4, day 79 1.4 and day 115 0.1%. That is a 99.9% reduction! Sprycel 100 mg for 3 months, 80 mg for 1 month and now at 50 mg. Hooray for Sprycel!!! PCR June 5, 2017 0.04! Dose reduction to 40 mg 6/15/2017 due to shortness of breath. 20 mg as of June 29th. PCR .02 9/11/2017. PCR .015 IS as of 12/11/2017. Lungs substantially better. Low dose Sprycel works!

Adverse Effect - At about week 6 of Sprycel sharp muscle pain that would start at 2 AM and last for about 4 hours. This lasted about 4 weeks and went away, thank goodness.

#7 mscl

mscl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSalina KS

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:42 PM

Food/nausea has zero effects on me with Sprycel, even when I was on the higher dosages...nothing. Although I usually take with water at 6:00 AM, I can take with or without food. I've had my share of pleural effusions and severe skin rash though. On 20 mg now.
Dx 2/10/12.
Sprycel 100. mg.
10/2015, Pleural effusions, both sides, about a 3-4 week break in Rx, reduced to 70 mg.
PEs, weren't completely gone, started building back up, about a 6-8 week break in Rx.
01/2016, Reduced to sprycel 50 mg.
10/2016, developed severe skin rash, mainly upper arms and upper legs, smaller rashes on lower arms, lower legs, upper back/neck. Rx break of about 6 weeks.
1/25/17, reduced to Sprycel 20 mg.
7/19/17, still at 20 mg Sprycel, undetectable.
11/9/17, 20 mg Sprycel, undetectable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users