#2 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:07 PM

Being more of a lurker instead of a poster these days, this has probably been rehashed several times and I missed it.  Going to ask anyway.  When I was diagnosed in 2011, CML was considered or stated to be a disease that was found in people who were usually in their 50's and up.  It was rare to have a child with CML.

As I have wandered around the boards, I have read about many children who have a CML diagnosis from different age groups.  Was this because children were not tested for CML and missed as a possibility or has the age range changed drastically since CML records were established?

This part of the question may not have an answer, again asking anyway. If the age range is changing so drastically, would that not help in discovery of what environmental aspects, body changes, and reasons why CML is establishing in much younger people?  Or does that muddy the waters even more for  discovery.

I am a firm believer being the caregiver for my hospice parent took a huge toll on my body and mind.  It was just a few months after her death and 28 days later my father-in-law was killed on his motorcycle I began to show the rise in platelets that eventually led me to the CML diagnosis. 

Since we have become foster parents, we experience children with psychological, physical, and emotional issues. Our children of today are often diagnosed with anxiety and nervous conditions before they reach the teen years. A major contributing factor?

Inquiring mind at work.

Pam

#3 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

Very interesting and important questions, Pam.  I hope it's being studied.  Stress (chronic stress) is the biggy of the 21st century, for sure, especially for children and adolescents now.  Variety of reasons for that - could debate forever!

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#4 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:27 PM

Dasatinib Excels in Worldwide Phase II Trial Against Pediatric CML
http://journals.lww....I_Trial.11.aspx

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Child, CML, Children cml

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users