5 replies to this topic

#1 cmljax

cmljax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:07 PM

I take Tasigna and the package says it must be stored at 68 - 77 degrees fahrenheit with excursions permitted between 59 and 86.  It doesn't say how long excursions can be. My medicine comes overnight from Briova specialty pharmacy and there is no special packaging to insure adherence to the temperature guidelines.  I questioned Briova about this and they sent me a letter from Novartis (manufacturer of tasigna) marked "For informational purposes only".  The letter said that no significant change in the assay of Tasigna capsules or dissolution results were observed after 6 months of storage at -4 degrees F or after 6 months of storage at 104 degrees F or after 3 months of storage at 122 degrees F.  These ranges are a huge difference from what the official Novartis literature says, but my insurance company says that this informational purposes only letter is why they do not provide special packaging when they ship it.

It is already starting to get hot in Florida where I live.  Even with overnight delivery, the medicine will be exposed to temperatures in the 90's and maybe even the 100's once we get into June, July, August and Spetember.  Should I be concerned? Do the other primary TKI's have similar temp ranges for storage? Do others get their medicine in protective packaging designed to keep it at the correct temp range?

This is all very baffling to me, but I want to make sure my medicine is at full efficacy when I get it and take it.

Dx 9/26/16 WBC 28800; platelets 749; FISH 97% PCR 43%

Tasigna 600MG per day

October 2016                     PCR 22% IS

November 2016                 PCR 5.8% IS

December 2016                 PCR 0.1% IS  MMR!!

March 10, 2017                 PCR 0.006% IS  MR 4.22

Tasigna 450MG per day

April 5, 2017                      PCR <.003% IS

June 5, 2017                     PCR <.003% IS (dose reduction validated!!!)

Tasigna 300MG per day starting June 15, 2017

6-day drug break starting June 20, 2017 due to multiple AE's

July 24, 2017                     PCR <.003% IS

September 18, 2017          Negative, AKA PCRU

Tasigna 150mg per day starting 9/18/17

October 30, 2017               Negative

December 11, 2017           Negative

#2 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:26 PM

Tasigna is a salt (as is Gleevec and Sprycel and probably the other TKI's). As such it is quite stable. The salt nature of the medicine is why it absorbs so readily through our digestive system. A little moisture will cause it to ionize and become soluble.

The most important thing you can do to keep Tasigna stable is to keep it dry. Temperature does not much matter. The easiest way to keep it dry is to keep it stored in its container with anhydrous packets that are usually supplied with the medication (reduce humidity).

Reality is these compounds can last years stored in a dry typical home location. 

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#3 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:38 PM

I got the same info when CVS Caremark failed to pack my Tasigna with a cooler/coolant. It set out in the sun on a day we had a 107 degree heat index. They would not replace it so, I was forced to take it. Didn't have any problems from it, but I thought it was very irresponsible on their part. It came cooled all other shipments.

#4 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:11 AM

Those instructions are to keep the lawyers happy, IMHO.

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#5 DebDoodah22

DebDoodah22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:23 AM

I live in Texas and work full time, after a couple of months of having FedEx leave my meds on my 100 + degree porch, i began having CVS Specialty drop ship to my local 24 hour CvS retailer. If you are concerned about shipping temps maybe you could try that,

So, that gets it here in one piece, but day to day meds are exposed to temp fluctuations as I travel or find myself in situations that require me to take the meds along with me. I've never considered the meds to be that fragile. I agree with Pat seems like a lawyer thing.

#6 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:32 PM

Truth is we don't know what temperatures our meds are exposed to in air transit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users