Photo

Smokers with chronic myeloid leukemia are at a higher risk of disease progression and premature death

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Buzzm1

Buzzm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:44 PM

Smokers with chronic myeloid leukemia are at a higher risk of disease progression and premature death

A study examining the effect of smoking on CML patients demonstrated that smoking also may affect disease biology. The results indicate that CML patients should be encouraged to quit smoking, especially those aged 60 or older.

Read more: http://onlinelibrary...cncr.30636/full

For the benefit of yourself and others please add your CML history into your Signature

02/2010 Gleevec 400mg

2011 Two weakly positives, PCRU, weakly positive

2012 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU

2013 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, weakly positive

2014 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU (12/07 began dose reduction w/each continuing PCRU)

2015 300, 250, 200, 150

2016 100, 50/100, 100, 10/17 TFR

2017 01/17 TFR, 04/18 TFR, 07/18 TFR 0.0012, 08/29 TFR 0.001, 10/17 TFR 0.000

2018 01/16 TFR PCR result pending... next quarterly PCR 04/17

At the earliest opportunity, and whenever possible, lower your TKI dosage; TKIs are toxic drugs and the less we take longterm the better off we are going to be ... this is especially true for older adults.  

In hindsight I should have started my dosage reduction two years earlier; it might have helped minimize some of the longterm cumulative toxic effects of TKIs that I am beset with.  

longterm side-effects Peripheral Artery Disease - legs (it's a bitch); continuing shoulder problems, right elbow inflammation.   GFR and creatinine vastly improved after stopping Gleevec.

Cumulative Gleevec dosage estimated at 830 grams

Taking Gleevec 400mg an hour after my largest meal of the day helped eliminate the nausea that Gleevec is notorious for.  

Trey's CML BlogStopping - The OddsStop Studies - Discussion Forum Cessation Study

Big PhRMA - Medicare Status - Social Security Status - Deficit/Debt

#2 Snowwhite

Snowwhite

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

My question is in this category. I am newly diagnosed Nov.11, 2016 with CML. I take Gleevec 400 mg daily and for the most part am doing pretty well. Some issues with muscle cramping but manageable. I am not a smoker, but my brother is. He does not seem to understand how much the rest of us hate it and being exposed to it. I love my brother very much, but the exposure to the smoke is awful. He goes outside to smoke, when he is at my home, but wants people to join him ( I think he believes he is outside so no problem). When he comes back in he wreaks as you can imagine. In his home he continues to smoke , but will open the door! Is there any good information out there that I could share with him about how his cigarette smoking is harmful to me as a person with CML. He is very intelligent and is a nurse, the general information about smoking is not helpful, he of course knows all of that. He is stubborn and thinks everyone is just trying to control him. Help!

#3 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

I have not kept up with it for years, but documentation from studies formerly stated second hand smoke was as bad if not worse than smoking.

I am a non smoker but I try not to redirect others, if they wish to stop, I will help in any way I can.  Since the PH I cough and gag when I encounter smoke, and it annoys me people stand right outside the doctor's offices and light one up.  It is walking through a very unpleasant blue cloud.

When I was younger and went out on the weekends I would have to come home and get a shower.  I couldn't stand how I smelled.  Of course there were probably times I fell asleep in the shower.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users