8 replies to this topic

#1 jlegakis

jlegakis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:44 PM

I have been on 800 mg. Tasigna for 4 mos. and recently my EKG. had my HB at 35 BPM. The other EKG`S also had me at about 42-45 BPM , so has anyone experienced this? All my blood counts are in the range and I reached 0 % Fish after 3 mos. on Tasigna. I feel GREAT and run 3-5 miles 4 times per wk., so that could account for the low HB too. In fact, my resting HB over the years has been in the 50 -52 range.Should I be concerned since my onc doesn`t seem to be?  Best Regards!  Oh, I`ve been a long distance runner for over 50 yrs.  too many marathons!

#2 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:59 PM

You answered your own question ... "Oh, I`ve been a long distance runner for over 50 yrs.  too many marathons!"

Just curious ... how fast do you run a mile?

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#3 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

Yes I had this. Everybody said it was because I was fit but before CML I was running 35min 10ks, sub 17min 5ks with a resting HR of 45-50. Post CML mainly riding now due to injuries all the time, nowhere near as fit and in my first couple of years on Tasigna resting HR of 35-40. I did some additional testing (24 hr holter monitor) which included a 20k run and a stress test and they said the heart rhythm was fine. In particular it was having no trouble beating fast during exercise. Since then I was off tasigna for pregnancy and after resuming tasigna at the same dose my HR is low but not as low as before.

When I was running hard and competing we would monitor resting HR for recovery (I can tell within a beat or two what mine is without looking at a HR monitor). In a hard training block you'd be tired and resting HR would be a bit elevated. With the tasigna thing I'd often have the tired "over trained" feeling when the resting HR was very low.

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

#4 cmljax

cmljax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:26 AM

I have been on Tasigna 600 MG since early October 2016.  At first my heartbeat was higher but I think that was really all the stress and anxiety associated with diagnosis.  Sjnce Dx, I have increased my number of cardio workouts to 6 times a week from 3 and that has helped (although I am not in the same league as you and Hawks).  Resting heartbeat is now in the hi 60's to low 70's. I do suffer from occasional benign PVC's and they too were were when I was first Dx'ed. So much of what we experience is related to anxiety over Dx. As the meds start to work, it imporves.

Dx 9/26/16 WBC 28800; platelets 749; FISH 97% PCR 43%

Tasigna 600MG per day

October 2016                     PCR 22% IS

November 2016                 PCR 5.8% IS

December 2016                 PCR 0.1% IS  MMR!!

March 10, 2017                 PCR 0.006% IS  MR 4.22

Tasigna 450MG per day

April 5, 2017                      PCR <.003% IS

June 5, 2017                     PCR <.003% IS (dose reduction validated!!!)

Tasigna 300MG per day starting June 15, 2017

6-day drug break starting June 20, 2017 due to multiple AE's

July 24, 2017                     PCR <.003% IS

September 18, 2017          Negative, AKA PCRU

Tasigna 150mg per day starting 9/18/17

October 30, 2017               Negative

December 11, 2017           Negative

#5 jlegakis

jlegakis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:35 AM

I have a low HB in the mornings when I have taken my EKG`s (35-45), but lately I`ve noticed my afternoon- evening HB is much higher (55-63). I am feeling great and the onc asked me if I`m ever faint or out of breath..NEVER! However, I`m wondering about the long term effect 800 mg. Tasigna will have on my heart, since they do monitor with EKG`S often! Can it be a gradual wearing down process in this respect? I have been on Tasigna for 6 mos. and am hoping for a PCR at 1% or so,since my last FISH was 0%. I really want to drop the dosage to 600mg.As I said before I`ve been a long distance runner since 1964 and my HB has always been low! Do I need a stress test ? Any literature on Tasigna `s impact on the heart? I feel corny , BUT in my days of glory,if you will ,I did run fairly well:4:10 mile ; 14:30 5,000m. and a 2:30.18 marathon. Scuba asked me ...so that`s my story and I`m sticking to it! You guys are ALL so great! 

#6 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:34 AM

I have been on 800 mg. Tasigna for 4 mos. and recently my EKG. had my HB at 35 BPM. The other EKG`S also had me at about 42-45 BPM , so has anyone experienced this? All my blood counts are in the range and I reached 0 % Fish after 3 mos. on Tasigna. I feel GREAT and run 3-5 miles 4 times per wk., so that could account for the low HB too. In fact, my resting HB over the years has been in the 50 -52 range.Should I be concerned since my onc doesn`t seem to be?  Best Regards!  Oh, I`ve been a long distance runner for over 50 yrs.  too many marathons!

That is a large drop in heart rate in a short time.  It would seem to be electrical as you indicated in another post:

"I have an electrical STAGE 2 Heart Block that needs to be monitored with EKG`S periodically."

Like you, I also have "runner's heart" and my heart rate is 49 in the morning, but neither Gleevec nor Sprycel have changed that for me.  I would try taking more potassium and magnesium to see if that helps.  This would not be such a problem on Tasigna unless the electrical heart block condition already existed as described in your other post on this issue.  But in your case the Tasigna seems to be interfering with the signaling process.  If it were me, I would switch drugs.

http://www.hrsonline...ers/Heart-Block

Edited by Trey, 02 June 2017 - 09:37 AM.

#7 jlegakis

jlegakis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

I am an avid long- distance runner at age 68, and my stress test worked out well even with a low heart beat of 35-39 .( My blood pressure :125/55) So, I`m on 800 mg. Tasigna for 9 mos.and was diagnosed with a second degree heart block BUT- no side -effects. I feel fine and my cardiologist said I have my own back-up pacemaker to compensate or offset the electrical short- circuiting! Sounds like SUPERMAN!Is there a runner out there who is also a cardiologist who can Xplain this?? I`m at CCyR, so that`s great!Look for me in 2 yrs. at the Boston Marathon because I`ll be 70 and I plan to WIN my age group. I know there`s at least 2 other guys old enough to challenge me. Best!

#8 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:48 PM

...my cardiologist said I have my own back-up pacemaker to compensate or offset the electrical short- circuiting....

The primary electrical signaling for the heart beat comes from the Sinoatrial Node (SA node), which is in the right atrium.  All people also have weaker signals coming from an Ectopic Foci in the lower left ventricle, but the signals are not normally strong enough to exert a noticeable influence on the heart unless the SA node malfunctions.  When the SA node malfunctions the signals from the Ectopic Foci can enable the heart to beat, albeit in a way that is suboptimal.  This Ectopic Foci is sometimes called the natural backup pacemaker.

In your case, with the extremely low heart rate your Ectopic Foci signals could cause your heart to respond with weaker arrhythmic beats in between normal heart beats.

http://www.cvphysiol...rrhythmias/A017

#9 jlegakis

jlegakis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:24 PM

Trey, I really want to thank you for clarifying my HB issue with the Ectopic Foci article! I was wondering if this low heart beat that I NOW have will be permanent,or return to higher rate levels ,say 50-60 beats per minute IF I go off 800 mg. Tasigna eventually? As a well-trained long distance runner my HB has been in the lower side of 55 , but NEVER in the 35 range! Well I have NOT had any symptoms and my energy level is high so I can continue my runs and swimming as usual. But, is this pacemaker that I now have permanent since you said it was "suboptimal"? I believe, IF I get off Tasigna it will go back to the `OLD` days of 55 BPM. Also, it seems that I have FIRST DEGREE Heart Block NOT SECOND Degree- judging from the other article you sent me? Anyway, thanks so much! I noted that Advanced Member "jjg"- also a runner- mentioned that she had a resting HB of 35-40 " in my first couple years on Tasigna" and then,it eventually increased. Best to all!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users