• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chevyflame

chevyflame

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:53 AM

If there are any veterans on this blog who had served at MCB Camp Lejeune,NC for a minimum of 30 days during the period of 8-1-1953 through December 31 1987, please read the news release below.

I've been working with a VA representative for some time on my disability claim and had been told it might take up to six years for this new ruling to be approved. This is wonderful news.

VA News Release    
01/13/2017 11:28 AM EST

VA's Rule Establishes a Presumption of Service Connection for Diseases Associated with Exposure to Contaminants in the Water Supply at Camp Lejeune

VA to provide disability benefits for related diseases

WASHINGTON - The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has published regulations to establish presumptions for the service connection of eight diseases associated with exposure to contaminants in the water supply at Camp Lejeune, N.C.

The presumption of service connection applies to active duty, reserve and National Guard members who served at Camp Lejeune for a minimum of 30 days (cumulative) between August 1, 1953 and December 31, 1987, and are diagnosed with any of the following conditions:

•           adult leukemia

•           aplastic anemia and other myelodysplastic syndromes

•           bladder cancer

•           kidney cancer

•           liver cancer

•           multiple myeloma

•           non-Hodgkin's lymphoma

•           Parkinson's disease

"We have a responsibility to take care of those who have served our Nation and have been exposed to harm as a result of that service," said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert A. McDonald. "Establishing a presumption for service at Camp Lejeune will make it easier for those Veterans to receive the care and benefits they earned."

Environmental health experts in VA's Technical Workgroup conducted comprehensive reviews of scientific evidence, which included analysis and research done by the Department of Health and Human Service's Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), the Environmental Protection Agency, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, the National Toxicology Program, and the National Academies of Science. 

Veterans with 30 or more cumulative days of active duty service, at Camp Lejeune during the contamination period are already eligible for certain medical benefits, following passage of the Honoring America's Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012.

In the early 1980s, volatile organic compounds, trichloroethylene (TCE), a metal degreaser, and perchloroethylene (PCE), a dry cleaning agent, as well as benzene and vinyl chloride, were discovered in two on-base water supply systems at Camp Lejeune. The contaminated wells supplying the water systems were shut down in February 1985.

The area included in this presumption is all of Camp Lejeune and MCAS New River, including satellite camps and housing areas.

The rule will be effective either 60 days after publication in the Federal Register, or following conclusion of the 60-day Congressional Review, whichever is later.

VA News Release    
01/13/2017 11:28 AM EST

VA's Rule Establishes a Presumption of Service Connection for Diseases Associated with Exposure to Contaminants in the Water Supply at Camp Lejeune

VA to provide disability benefits for related diseases

WASHINGTON - The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has published regulations to establish presumptions for the service connection of eight diseases associated with exposure to contaminants in the water supply at Camp Lejeune, N.C.

The presumption of service connection applies to active duty, reserve and National Guard members who served at Camp Lejeune for a minimum of 30 days (cumulative) between August 1, 1953 and December 31, 1987, and are diagnosed with any of the following conditions:

•           adult leukemia

•           aplastic anemia and other myelodysplastic syndromes

•           bladder cancer

•           kidney cancer

•           liver cancer

•           multiple myeloma

•           non-Hodgkin's lymphoma

•           Parkinson's disease

"We have a responsibility to take care of those who have served our Nation and have been exposed to harm as a result of that service," said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert A. McDonald. "Establishing a presumption for service at Camp Lejeune will make it easier for those Veterans to receive the care and benefits they earned."

Environmental health experts in VA's Technical Workgroup conducted comprehensive reviews of scientific evidence, which included analysis and research done by the Department of Health and Human Service's Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), the Environmental Protection Agency, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, the National Toxicology Program, and the National Academies of Science. 

Veterans with 30 or more cumulative days of active duty service, at Camp Lejeune during the contamination period are already eligible for certain medical benefits, following passage of the Honoring America's Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012.

In the early 1980s, volatile organic compounds, trichloroethylene (TCE), a metal degreaser, and perchloroethylene (PCE), a dry cleaning agent, as well as benzene and vinyl chloride, were discovered in two on-base water supply systems at Camp Lejeune. The contaminated wells supplying the water systems were shut down in February 1985.

The area included in this presumption is all of Camp Lejeune and MCAS New River, including satellite camps and housing areas.

The rule will be effective either 60 days after publication in the Federal Register, or following conclusion of the 60-day Congressional Review, whichever is later.

#2 r06ue1

r06ue1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationEarth, Solar System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

I've always wondered if my serving in the Air Force back in the 80's and 90's including in war zones was what lead to my CML.  I know I came into contact with numerous hazardous chemicals and radiation during that time.  I guess it would be impossible to prove but always thought that might be a culprit.  

Currently blaming my in home gas fireplace that I had to run 24/7 for three or four days straight when the power in my city was out that entire time.  Those are NOT safe when used for long durations without external venting!  They produce Formaldehyde as a by-product and unless you are venting them to the outside, that Formaldehyde builds up in your home and it HAS been linked to CML.  

I bought a Formaldehyde detector and can now use it to monitor the levels in my home (currently safe).

08/2015 Initial PCR: 66.392%

12/2015 PCR: 1.573%

03/2016 PCR: 0.153%

06/2016 PCR: 0.070%

09/2016 PCR: 0.052%

12/2016 PCR: 0.036%

03/2017 PCR: 0.029%

06/2017 PCR: 0.028%

09/2017 PCR: 0.025%

12/2017 PCR: 0.018%

Taking Imatinib 400 mg

#3 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:34 PM

Thanks for the info. I forwarded it to a former coworker who served there.

#4 Noodle

Noodle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:38 AM

I am an AML survivor (čhemo only) nearing 4 years and one of the first things my medteam asked when i was admitted for my month long induction chemo was had I lived on any military installations or been exposed to excessive secondary smoke.

BOTH. I've worked for the DOD for 28 years, followed my active duty AF husband around the globe and both my parents were massive chain smokers.

So glad the VA is finally doing something for these folks.

Blessings,

Julie

DXD 22 March 2013 AML M4 Inversion 16 Negative FLT 3 & CKIT

Induction 7+3 & 4 Rounds of HiDAC, lowered dose due to slow count recovery.

Qrtrly PCR & Phlebotomy for high iron stores

Almighty God is my redeemer and HEALER!!@

Psalm 103:1-5 — "Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits.... who heals all your diseases..

Mark 10:27 (New Living Translation) — Jesus looked at them intently and said, "Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But not with God. Everything is possible with God."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users