Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:10 AM

Bullseye.

Yeah - i thought as much. Touche'

Back to Tinman's thread ... He has a serious cardiac issue that needs to be addressed. All the best to him.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#23 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for the laugh Trey!

Medicinal humor.  But don't try it in enema form. 

#24 M.A.

M.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 January 2018 - 03:42 PM

I find this post from scuba in Dec 2016 very inspiring ... and the whole thread important, so bumping it back into the forum in case it's useful to any newer members... (oh and it's even got the classic bit from Trey at the end :)

PS Going to miss the search function on this forum ... all I had to do was enter 'scuba heart run vitamins' to find the exact post

That's good to read ... no heart attack.

When I was able to get my CML under control and it sunk in that CML is not going to kill me, I realized we can't ignore our "other" health as we get older. Heart disease runs in my family. My father had 4 stents put in and then died of a stroke a few years later. My oldest brother had a single stent put in a year or so ago. So I am actually more aware of my heart - and specifically - artery health than I am CML at this point in my life.

A little over three years ago my wife decided I was going to have a full physical (first one in 20 years!) and sure enough I had very bad exercised induced hypertension during the treadmill test (normal blood pressure at rest, very high with exertion).

A subsequent carotid artery ultrasound showed dramatic wall thickening (plaque). They stopped the treadmill test after 30 seconds! Working in front of a computer coupled with my family's genes were setting me up for something bad.

I visited a cardiologist recommended to me by my primary doctor and he wanted to put me on beta blockers and statins and all sorts of other drugs. I told him - I am first going to try diet and exercise. He said that is best - but no one does it. I told him no choice on my part. I can be determined.

So - I started to walk 3 miles a day - And actually dropped 30 pounds. I looked good before, I look better now.

But the big change was not the exercise itself. It was my diet change using supplements for what was missing that had the greater impact.

Our arteries are composed of three layers with smooth muscle in the middle. Our arteries are designed to facilitate the pumping of blood by both dilating and contracting as needed. They are supple, strong and quite elastic. They accommodate all manner of fluid increase and decrease and pressure to balance fluid flow demands (oxygen) by the body. It is quite remarkable. With poor diet, our artery walls are under near constant irritation and respond by inflaming - much like the way your skin inflames if you keep scratching it. The scratching of our arteries is caused mostly by sugar (glucose). The body repairs this inflammation using cholesterol - intended to be temporary - the way a scab is temporary. Overnight during sleep these lesions can actually heal - if we let them. At the same time during inflammation our body will deposit calcium into the arteries along with cholesterol (causing atherosclerosis) hardening them into stiff pipes. That is what was happening to me. My arteries were getting hardened all over. I felt it in my legs when I started to walk 3 miles a day.

The good news is atherosclerosis is reversible. But not in one day. It took 20 years to build, it will take years to undo - but it can undo faster than build up. That is good.

Exercise alone won't do it - in fact - exercise without fixing the artery problem could cause a stroke. And that runs in my family - so I had to be careful. My doctor told me specifically NOT to exercise intensely until I had the blood pressure under control. 

I learned how vitamin K2 (abundant in fermented foods) in conjunction with vitamin D is used by the body to create enzymes which move calcium out of soft tissue and put it in bone. I was very low in both vitamin D and K2 - and so no surprise about my hardening arteries. I increased my vitamin D level and K2 levels to high normal and over one year my carotid artery thickness dropped by 46% ! The following year it dropped another 20% . My cardiologist was stunned. He never saw that. He said at best, his patients keep the readings where they are or slow the rate of increase. Most important, however, was that my exercise induced blood pressure became normal again. I am a believer in vitamins D and K2 for artery health.

I started to run instead of walk three miles a day and added sprinting. I can now run faster than some of the teenagers in our neighborhood. My resting heart rate is in the low 60's to upper 50's. Although I am still somewhat anemic from the Sprycel (mild myelosuppression), I have a lot more energy.

Along with vitamin D and K2 (200mcg per day along with fermented foods) I take the following:

1. Omega 3- (krill oil)

2. Cinnamon with chromium (sugar control)

3. Zinc / selenium

4. Magnesium (at least 400 mg sometime 600-800 per day)

5. Only grass fed beef.

6. Curcumin (lots of it)

7. Garlic (4 grams per day or food)

8. Nuts (almonds)

All the best to you - make sure you get a treadmill test and slowly carefully increase your exercise to force your arteries to expand and contract. That helps them heal - but only if you have the healing "tools" flowing in your bloodstream.

CML diagnosed April 2016

Type One Diabetes diagnosed April 1980 (age 12)

BCR-ABL (IS)

46.77  April 2016

3.568  July 2016  

0.076  Oct 2016

0.016  Feb 2017

0.0079  April 2017

0.014  July 2017

0.019  Sept 2017

0.011  Nov 2017

0.019  Jan 2018

Sprycel

100mg April 29 - September 22

75mg  September 23 - October 28

50mg October 29 2016 to present

#25 M.A.

M.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 January 2018 - 03:43 PM

PS I hope you are ok Tinman

CML diagnosed April 2016

Type One Diabetes diagnosed April 1980 (age 12)

BCR-ABL (IS)

46.77  April 2016

3.568  July 2016  

0.076  Oct 2016

0.016  Feb 2017

0.0079  April 2017

0.014  July 2017

0.019  Sept 2017

0.011  Nov 2017

0.019  Jan 2018

Sprycel

100mg April 29 - September 22