8 replies to this topic

#1 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:49 PM

Just curious as what to expect. I'm hoping the penetrating pain I've been experiencing in my shoulders, between the shoulder blades and swelling underarms will improve.  This is the first time in my life, I've ever had pain that awakens me. My hem/onc has suggested I have a rheumatological workup, which I'm in agreement with. I've been back on the Tasigna at 1/2 the regular dose since January and my QOL has lessened.  As an aside, I've noticed in the past few days that my hair has started to come out again and getting sore spots on my head. So far, my ANA, ESR, RF labs have been within normal limits or negative, with the CRP being elevated. As soon as CVS Caremark gets over Gleevec being a first-line treatment and approves the PA, I'll start Gleevec at 1/2 the regular dose.  I'm hoping the iron supplement will offset these sharts I've heard about with Gleevec.

#2 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:05 PM

You may not wind up with too many side effects at 200mg. Good luck.

#3 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:33 PM

Hi TiredBlood.  I was on Gleevec 400 and I had very minor side-effects for about the first 3 months.  Then nothing.  Nada.  Nope.  Zero.  

Unfortunately, after more than a year like that, the tests got bad and I had to move to Gleevec 600.  Now I get puffy eyes in the morning (who cares), a horrible sour putrid taste that rises from my stomach to my mouth, and monstrous acid reflux.  I'm hoping this too will pass.  

All the best.

Diagnosed in February 2014. Started Imatinib 400 in April.
2014:     3.18     0.91
2015:     0.22     0.16     0.04     0.55
2016:     0.71     0.66

(Started Imatinib 600 in April 2016)
2016:     0.42     0.13     0.45
2017:     0.17     0.06     0.10     0.06     0.34

#4 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:52 PM

I just became a gleevecian. Since my plan is to take the gleevec with my evening meal, should I change my statin to morning, rather than bedtime?

#5 jmoorhou

jmoorhou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationOutside of San Francisco

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:41 PM

Hi tiredblood, I don't know if you're already using it but Tea Tree shampoo really helps with the itch head, if that is what you have.
Diagnosed 3/2014 WBC 28 Non detectable within 3 monthsGleevec 400 mg 5/2014 one hour after dinner really improves nausea300 mg 12/15/2016200 mg and 300 mg Gleevec 2/25/2017 (after 3 years on Gleevec) For last four months taking 300 mg per day. Last CMC showed liver enzymes elevated, went to a good Naturopath and he recommended 4 Tumeric, 10,000 mg Vitamen D, and 3 milk thistle (silymarin) daily. Also use One<p>Day Detox Dandeloin tea, and Nettle Tea and a slice of ginger every day...in two months liver tests were below normal.Janis

#6 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:44 PM

Hi tiredblood, I don't know if you're already using it but Tea Tree shampoo really helps with the itch head, if that is what you have.

Not at the moment. I did have that with tasigna, especially when my hair was coming out. I asked about the statin because the pharmacy had to get the okay from my doctor concerning a possible interaction between the two drugs.

#7 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:27 PM

I took my statin at the opposite time to the Gleevec. I eventually came off the statin as Gleevec controlled my cholesterol and BP. Since stopping Gleevec I have had to resume a cholesterol med. Keep an eye on your cholesterol levels and you might be able to do the same in a year or two.

#8 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:55 PM

I took my statin at the opposite time to the Gleevec. I eventually came off the statin as Gleevec controlled my cholesterol and BP. Since stopping Gleevec I have had to resume a cholesterol med. Keep an eye on your cholesterol levels and you might be able to do the same in a year or two.

#9 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:56 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I'm all for cutting out any meds I can.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users