#1 AllTheseYears

AllTheseYears

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:43 AM

Interesting piece in Sunday's NY Times from Tom Brokaw on his cancer.  Check it out.  Here's an excerpt:

The cancer is in remission, and I take the word of my medical team that I am doing well and should beat the standard life expectancy. I still lead a busy professional and personal life. Biking, swimming, fly-fishing and bird hunting remain active interests โ€” but in a new context.

Even in remission, cancer alters a patient's perception of what's normal. Morning, noon and night, asleep and awake, malignant cells are determined to alter or end your life. Combating cancer is a full-time job that, in my case, requires 24 pills a day, including one that runs $500 a dose. For me, bone damage brought persistent back pain and unwelcome muscle deterioration.

Constant fatigue is a common signature of cancer patients, which separates them from healthy friends and family members. It is also what brings cancer patients together.

Full article: http://www.nytimes.c...ol-right-region

Amen. 

#2 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for posting this, a little perspective is good for the soul.

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#3 DebDoodah22

DebDoodah22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:08 PM

Brothers and sisters in fatigue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users