#21 SandyG353

SandyG353

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:16 PM

Thanks Gerry for your input.  What strikes me as odd is that my daughter's oncologist  said that he will monthly monitor her blood after she stops Gleevec, (providing the next blood test still shows total molecular remission).  However., if the numbers start going up he will double her doseage of Gleevec. That does't sound right to me.  From what I have read, those that were in the trials whose numbers came back were put back on the same doseage of Gleevec.

Any thoughts?

Sandi

#22 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:41 PM

From what I'm aware of, everyone that has had the CML return have returned to the same dosage. Perhaps he is super keen to get your daughter back to negative, but he's not the one experiencing side effects. I think one or two of our FB members have taken the opportunity to switch TKIs at this point, but that is more about side effects and trying a different strategy.

There was no suggestion from my doc about doubling the dose if my CML returned and my doc is conservative, hence why I am still doing two monthly blood tests at 3 years. My doc refers to the Australian Stop trials. I would push back if my doc tried to double the return dose. I am also aware of someone that was on 600mg Gleevec trial for stopping and his CML returned in around 3 months. More dosage isn't necessarily better for somethings.

Also be aware there are blips for some people stopping, so keep an eye on test results, loss of MMR is the return point, not a blip. Monthly monitoring is good for the first six months, oddly my doc decided two monthly from the start, go figure.  :)

#23 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:20 AM

We should remember that patients in these cessation studies lose response all along the way, most in the first 6 months, but a significant number (roughly another 10%) after that for over 2 years. 

Attached Files

Edited by Trey, 30 October 2016 - 09:23 AM.

#24 SandyG353

SandyG353

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:21 AM

Trey, do you think that my daughter should take the 50/50 chance of going off Gleevec or push to lower the doseage to 200mg like you take.

#25 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:11 PM

I figure I know what Trey will say. :-)

#26 SUE

SUE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:35 PM

Somebody told me that Dr. Druker has stated that anything below 40 mg of Sprycel could not be considered a safe level.  That doesn't sound right to me.  Has anyone else heard that he made that statement, or that any other medical professional believes that to be the case?

Thanks very much.

Sue

Dx  April 2013, FISH 62,  BMB not enough for PCR test; put on Gleevec 400;

August 2013, FISH 8.7;

Oct 2013, FISH 5.6

Stopped Gleevec Nov 2013 for 6 weeks due to terrible side effects; Jan 2014 started Sprycel 50mg;

Feb, 2014 PCR  6.8

May,2014  PCR   .149

Aug, 2014 PCR    .015

Nov. 2014 PCRU

March, 2016  went down to 40mg Sprycel

Oct. 2016   stopped Sprycel for a couple weeks due to concern about shortness of breath.  Echo showed mild PAH.

Nov 1 2016  resumed Sprycel 20 mg daily 

Dec 2016  PCRU

March 2017  PCR 0.020

May 2017     PCRU

Sept  2017   PCRU

Dec    2017  PCRU

#27 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:04 PM

Trey, do you think that my daughter should take the 50/50 chance of going off Gleevec or push to lower the doseage to 200mg like you take.

She can keep all options open if she initially lowers dosage to 200mg then after a time reassess to stop altogether if she does not get enough relief from the side effects at 200mg.

#28 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:08 PM

Somebody told me that Dr. Druker has stated that anything below 40 mg of Sprycel could not be considered a safe level.......

From what has been reported by his patients on here, Dr Druker is said to believe in taking lower dosage of TKIs over the longer term if that suits the patient's needs. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users