3 replies to this topic

#1 snowbear

snowbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:21 AM

Yesterday, I was scheduled for a Rituxan infusion (for Inflammatory Arthritis/Lupus), but because I was experiencing dizziness, my doctor sent me to the ER to be checked out.  It turned out that I have a fairly bad UTI and was prescribed antibiotics and will have follow up testing when the prescription is finished.

My question is - I noticed on the lab report that while my WBC is within normal ranges (6.2), the neutrophil (75%) to lymphocyte (18%) ratio is off.  I have heard that is a sign of inflammation, but I've also heard that it is related to the leukemia as the neutrophils are the ones involved in CML.  

Sed rate is normal (20), but CRP is high (.80), LDH wasn't tested.  RBC is still a bit low but stable (3.6) and platelets are on the high side of normal (380).  I'm scheduled to have the BCR-ABL test done next week.

Does anyone know if this is of any concern in relation to the CML?  I know the meds work and I shouldn't worry about it too much, but there's always that chance that it won't.   

#2 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:05 PM

Should not be a concern. You have an infection and your body is fighting it.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#3 snowbear

snowbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:40 PM

I was taken back to the hospital on Friday.  No evidence of UTI or other infection at this point. WBC & platelets are higher, RBC is lower.  Docs gave me Valium for the vertigo and it really isn't helping much which is unusual. 

I've been thru all kinds of vestibular testing before (with a different ENT) but it's been well over 10 years.  I really don't want to go thru it again, but I can't function like this either.

#4 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

Snowbear - I'm so sorry you are having such a bunch of hard stuff to face.  Anecdotally, I know directly of three people who have had dizziness lasting a few weeks whose extensive testing revealed nothing and the dx was a virus that attacks the inner ear.  It goes away on its own.  The weeks of waiting are maddening, of course.  One friend was given a series of body positions to go through each day and that helped.  I hope this is "all" it is for you!

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users