1 reply to this topic

#1 Gail's

Gail's

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:02 AM

I know I've read of others who ended up on social security disability after getting diagnosed with cml. I'm 18 months away from age 65 and planned work retirement. I'm so bushed I don't think I can keep up with my stressful job. I am now part time, have a desk job but the stress is wiping out the little reserves of energy I have. I sleep 12 to 14 hours on my days off.

Would someone share the amount of time from applying to actually getting SSD? Before I go down this road I want to make sure I'm not going to have to jump thru hoops then end up not getting the assistance until it's the time I could have retired anyway.

Last question, is Medicare offered when you are declared disabled, or do you have to wait till 65?
Diagnosed 1/15/15
FISH 92%
BMB 9:22 translocation
1/19/15 began 400 mg gleevec
1/22/15 bcr 37.2 IS
2/6/15 bcr 12.5 IS
3/26/15 bcr 10.3 IS
6/29/15 bcr 7.5 IS
9/24/15 bcr 0.8 IS
1/4/16 bcr 0.3 IS
Started 100 mg dasatinib, mutation analysis negative
4/20/16 bcr 0.03 IS
8/8/16 bcr 0.007 IS
12/6/16 bcr 0.002 IS
Lowered dasatinib to 70 mg
4/10/17 bcr 0.001 IS
Lowered dasatinib to 50 mg
7/5/17 bcr 0.004 IS
8/10/17 bcr 0.001. Stopped TKI in prep for September surgery.
9/10/17 bcr 0.006
10/10/17 bcr 0.088

#2 tadly

tadly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationMonterey Bay California

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:50 PM

I was disabled by AML at the age of 64.  An AML diagnosis qualifies for social security disability under a "compassionate allowance", so very quickly just based on  submitting the doctor's diagnosis to social security.   So to get yourself designated as disabled because you are unable to work, because of your CML, is going to take a lot more.  That other CMLers can tell you about.

I'll give you the other rules and considerations because I was around 63-64, about the same age as you when I started dealing with this and the SSA.

If and when your "date of disability" is determined, there's a mandatory 5 month waiting period, before any person will receive a check. They say they do this because its not for people who are disabled and can't work but are able to return to work in a few months.  

On the other hand, the amount of my monthly disability check was the same as if I got full social security retirement at age 65.  So my disability check was higher, than if I decided to retire early before 65.   

People on social security disability for 24 months, get Medicare  after 24 months, if they are still disabled then.  It won't matter for you since you'll turn 65 anyway before then.

I think it's worth it for you to apply.  

But the another option can make sense too , of taking retirement for social security before age 65 (it'll be a bit less a month, but then you might be getting a whole 1 1/2 years earlier to make up for it). The amounts show up in the annual social security statement that they send and you can ask for at any time. And continuing at your part-time desk job as you planned, or cutting back on the hours (and stress) or still doing it past 65.  The SS income either from disability or slightly early retirement , can help you be less dependent on the job for all your income (which can also help with the stress).  Good Luck!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users