#1 Judithb

Judithb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Locationwilliamsburg, va and sarasota, fl

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:02 PM

I switched to Gleevec after problems with Tasigna and my clothes are tight and I would lke to lose weight, but my usual methods do not seem to work.  Any suggestions would be welcome.  Do others have this problem?  Tks for any advice.

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 16 March 2016 - 01:27 PM

If from fluid retention then weight loss requires a diuretic approach, if you think that is appropriate.  But if Gleevec or any other TKI drug somehow causes sugar usage changes, which is possible if the pancreas insulin cycle is affected, then the body may be turning more sugar into fat.  This would be a reason to take the TKI drug before bedtime to avoid having max blood concentration close to mealtimes.

#3 MACELPatient

MACELPatient

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:27 PM

I lost 40lbs a year ago through diet and exercise. Majority was through watching what I ate and counting calories. Definitely possible to do. At the time I was taking 400mg Gleevec daily at bedtime.

#4 jmoorhou

jmoorhou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationOutside of San Francisco

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:59 PM

I lost 20 pounds right before I was diagnosed and that was two years ago, I've kept the weight off I think because Gleevec has affected my taste buds and I just don't enjoy the Ben & Jerry's  like I used to.   My cholesterol numbers also went down I think at least 50 points.

Like I said on another post...hey Gleevec, it's not all bad.  In ancient times people would do horrendous things to their body for weight reduction and beauty.  Maybe we are ahead of the game :)

Diagnosed 3/2014 WBC 28 Non detectable within 3 monthsGleevec 400 mg 5/2014 one hour after dinner really improves nausea300 mg 12/15/2016200 mg and 300 mg Gleevec 2/25/2017 (after 3 years on Gleevec) For last four months taking 300 mg per day. Last CMC showed liver enzymes elevated, went to a good Naturopath and he recommended 4 Tumeric, 10,000 mg Vitamen D, and 3 milk thistle (silymarin) daily. Also use One<p>Day Detox Dandeloin tea, and Nettle Tea and a slice of ginger every day...in two months liver tests were below normal.Janis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users