#1 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:15 PM

When I hear the stomach/upper intestine gurglies, I take a couple of Immodiums to ward off what usually was going to come next in a few hours.  It suddenly occurred to me - what if I've just taken my Sprycel?  Will I somehow screw up the breakdown and absorption of it by taking the Immodium?  If I should wait, how long? 

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#2 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:11 AM

When I hear the stomach/upper intestine gurglies, I take a couple of Immodiums to ward off what usually was going to come next in a few hours.  It suddenly occurred to me - what if I've just taken my Sprycel?  Will I somehow screw up the breakdown and absorption of it by taking the Immodium?  If I should wait, how long? 

I'm reposting this as it did not get a response.  It's because there is usually such an instant cessation of the gurglies as soon as I down the Immodiums that I wonder what's going on in my stomach and upper intestines at the same time the Sprycel is in those areas.  Trey, do you have any knowledge on this?

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:43 PM

kat73,

I would be more concerned if you were taking something to move things along more quickly. Since immodium slows down movement through the intestines it shouldn't be a problem. Drugs.com shows no interactions between immodium and Sprycel.

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#4 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:54 PM

Aha, so that's how it works, eh?  Thanks Pat!  Now I'm thinking, maybe I can enhance the absorption of Sprycel by always taking an Immodium.  Now there's an interesting idea for getting to PCRU! :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users