#1 Terran

Terran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationClovis CA

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:05 PM

The buzzing seems to be getting louder. I know it's tki related somehow. Anyone have tips for coping? It looks like treatment might be too much to hope for.

#2 Buzzm1

Buzzm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:07 PM

an earlier tinnitus thread http://community.lls...us/?hl=tinnitus

For the benefit of yourself and others please add your CML history into your Signature

02/2010 Gleevec 400mg

2011 Two weakly positives, PCRU, weakly positive

2012 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU

2013 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, weakly positive

2014 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU (12/07 began dose reduction w/each continuing PCRU)

2015 300, 250, 200, 150

2016 100, 50/100, 100, 10/17 TFR

2017 01/17 TFR, 04/18 TFR, 07/18 TFR 0.0012, 08/29 TFR 0.001, 10/17 TFR 0.000

2018 01/16 TFR 0.0004 ... next quarterly PCR 04/17

At the earliest opportunity, and whenever possible, lower your TKI dosage; TKIs are toxic drugs and the less we take longterm the better off we are going to be ... this is especially true for older adults.  

In hindsight I should have started my dosage reduction two years earlier; it might have helped minimize some of the longterm cumulative toxic effects of TKIs that I am beset with.  

longterm side-effects Peripheral Artery Disease - legs (it's a bitch); continuing shoulder problems, right elbow inflammation.   GFR and creatinine vastly improved after stopping Gleevec.

Cumulative Gleevec dosage estimated at 830 grams

Taking Gleevec 400mg an hour after my largest meal of the day helped eliminate the nausea that Gleevec is notorious for.  

Trey's CML BlogStopping - The OddsStop Studies - Discussion Forum Cessation Study

Big PhRMA - Medicare Status - Social Security Status - Deficit/Debt

#3 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:03 PM

Hi Terran,

I had severe tinnitus for about 18 months. Brought me to my knees, that's how loud it was. This was before cml though, and I consider myself cured of tinnitus before cml and that continues today. So don't be certain that the tki is doing it.

Don't be fooled into thinking you need silence. In fact, after discussing it with an ear Doctor, I found that silence is pretty much your enemy. Your brain is making up a sound, so if you feed it a rich environment of pleasant noises, it will stop. Because of my location, I used the beach a lot, waves, seagulls, wind, etc. At night, I used a white noise machine, and today you can get sounds on the computer or phone. You aren't hiding the noise, you're giving your brain an alternative.

Don't bother with ginko biloba, or any other herb. And there is a little hand held vibrator that you stick in your ear -- don't bother. But warm showers, letting the water in my ear, gave me temporary relief.

Today, I have a very low level hum that doesn't bother me at all, and I have no problem sleeping.

Diagnosed in February 2014. Started Imatinib 400 in April.
2014:     3.18     0.91
2015:     0.22     0.16     0.04     0.55
2016:     0.71     0.66

(Started Imatinib 600 in April 2016)
2016:     0.42     0.13     0.45
2017:     0.17     0.06     0.10     0.06     0.34

#4 Cool Hand Leuk

Cool Hand Leuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:37 AM

the sound of crickets seems to mask the sound, but can also be just as annoying

#5 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:32 PM

Terran - First, get it checked out properly with an ENT.  It COULD be something fixable; it could even be something threatening.  Most probably not.

When you find out that you just have to live with it, you WILL find a way.  All of the aforementioned coping strategies have merit - try them and see if they work for you.  I took a different approach, but it's just me, so I'm only offering it as another idea. 

I got to the point where I found I was listening to my ears all the time and the feeling of being trapped - of never, ever being able to "turn it off"  inside my head -  began to frenzy into a kind of madness.  So I willed myself to Stop. Hearing. It.  I ignored it - sort of brushed it away with my mental hand - and substituted something else quickly - another sound, another thought.  Takes a lot of relentless practice, but it works.  Over the years, even though the tinnitus continues to this day to get steadily worse (sometimes I actually laugh when I realize I've added a new tone to the mix - what're you gonna do, cry or laugh?) I have been able to keep it shoved out of my daily life and consciousness - I can even dip in and listen to it sometimes, then shrug, and move away.  But I've been at this since 1992. 

I did notice a big change after starting the TKIs - I would say it quickly accelerated to twice what I had been dealing with.  I have had a concomitant hearing loss since starting the TKIs and now wear hearing aids.  There are, I think, some case studies in the literature, but I stopped researching the connection with TKIs because:  1.  I have to take them anyway, so what're you gonna do, and 2.  Absolutely NOBODY in the medical field - onc, primary care doc, ENT - cares that I'm going deaf (not INSIDE my head, of course, that's just getting louder).  Every once in awhile I succumb to terror and wonder what it will be like to be stone deaf.  It just fuels my desire to get off my TKI someday. 

Wow, I see that I have provided a real downer for you, instead of the help you requested.  Maybe I should delete this?  No, I'll leave it, in the spirit of sharing info empowers us.  Maybe you will be the one to get some attention on this, who knows?  I suspect it has something to do with the TKIs messing with the way collagen is managed - there is a connection there to renal function, which also happened to me after starting Gleevec and now is permanent.  Probably just in susceptible people, genetically.  At any rate, I had to move on and just deal.  I know you will too.

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#6 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:15 PM

I first realized that I had tinnitus when I was sitting out on the screened porch with friends mid-summer and mentioned how loud the night sounds (bugs, frogs, etc.) were that night.

The slow turn of the head towards me and the very strange looks on their faces made me realize we weren't hearing the same things.

When I read this post I tuned in to them. Mostly they're in the background and I seldom notice them. For me, there are worse things to be hearing then summer night sounds. 

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#7 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:52 PM

Pat - You made me laugh with that memory.  We have a tiny vacation place in SC in a maritime forest at the edge of the marsh, and going to bed with my book I would listen to the cacophony "outside" - ha!  I too remember the night I mentioned it to spouse and got the slow head turn.  That was a long, long time ago.  Sigh.  Now, what I miss intensely is hearing the wind in the tops of the pines there.  On the bright side, at home we live under the flight path for Reagan National, and I'm the only one who can sleep through it with the windows open!  The planes start at 4:45 AM and go to 12:15 (midnight) - both illegally - thanks a lot, Congress-people.

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#8 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:42 PM

The tinnitus subsided for me over time.  It took several years.  Then the tree frog farting started.  "Was that you?" "Was what who?"  "Precisely."  "Who cooks for you?"  "What books from you?"  "OK then."  "Goodnight."  "Night."

#9 Terran

Terran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationClovis CA

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:54 PM

I've had that conversation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users