Photo

Perhaps gut bacteria affects response to TKIs?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisC

ChrisC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:04 AM

This seems like an interesting possibility . . .

https://www.newscien...cer-treatments/

Be alert, but not overly concerned.

• Dx Oct. 22, 2008, WBC 459k, in ICU for 2 days + in hospital 1 week

• Leukapheresis for 1 week, to reduce WBC (wasn't given Hydroxyurea)

• Oct. 28, 2008: CML confirmed, start Gleevec 400mg

• Oct. 31, 2008: sent home when WBC reached 121k

• On/off, reduced dose Gleevec for 7 months

• April 2009: Started Sprycel 100mg

• Sept. 2009: PCRU 0.000

• Sept. 2011: after 2 years steady PCRU & taking Sprycel 100mg before bed, quit Sprycel (with permission)

• Currently: still steady PCRU, testing every 6 months 🤗

— Fatigue, hearing loss continue, alas, but I prefer to think it is all getting better!

#2 chrissy778

chrissy778

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTroy, New York

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:32 AM

I just started taking Probiotics.. I wonder if this could effect Gleevec.. Never thought of it..

Its never to late to live happily ever after/ Do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of

#3 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:56 PM

not the same thing, but my doctor told me that he had to patients who had a great response and then went throught a bariatric surgery and stopped responding. they were changed to another tki and still never had a response and had to have a bmt.

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:16 PM

The TKI ipilimumab cited in the article stimulates the immune system to fight skin cancer, and the gut bacteria apparently helps enhance drug effectiveness in some co-stimulation manner, probably not by increasing absorption. 

Our TKI drugs are absorbed quickly, mostly from the stomach and duodenum.  Most of the remaining absorption occurs early in the small intestine.  The gut bacteria mostly lives in the colon, where very little drug is absorbed.  So I would say this is not much of an issue, although I have nothing against probiotics.  It is just that most people who are not taking antibiotics do not have a lack of gut bacteria.

Trey's Fascinating Gut Flora Factoids:

There are about 100 trillion microorganisms in the human intestinal tract, over ten times more than the total number of human body cells

The metabolic activities performed by these gut flora resemble those of an organ, leading some to liken gut bacteria to a "forgotten" organ

Gut flora have around a hundred times as many genes in aggregate as humans

Gut flora ferment waste products in the colon.  (Do they operate little stills, and put the products into mason jars?)

60% of fecal mass is dead gut flora

Why do humans have an appendix?  To preserve gut flora for reintroduction after catastrophic loss (antibiotics, etc)

Gut flora apparently play a role in developing human immunity to diseases (newly discovered -- the point of the article cited in original post)

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Gut_flora

#5 chrissy778

chrissy778

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTroy, New York

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:00 PM

I was having a lot of stomach pain and constipation a friend of mine told me probiotic would help... Maybe I will just stick to the Metamucil.

Its never to late to live happily ever after/ Do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of

#6 ChrisC

ChrisC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:30 PM

For me, it has always been a goal and pleasure to eat real food, devoid of "changes" made to enhance the profitability of produce, poultry, etc.

Not that I am running away from GMOs; I am always leaning towards what Nature has provided up until now, when our health seems to be affected without the understanding of why it has been.

In this vein, http://www.nytimes.c...pe=article&_r=1

Maybe it makes a difference, maybe not. However, it seems to have helped me . . . ?

ChrisC

Be alert, but not overly concerned.

• Dx Oct. 22, 2008, WBC 459k, in ICU for 2 days + in hospital 1 week

• Leukapheresis for 1 week, to reduce WBC (wasn't given Hydroxyurea)

• Oct. 28, 2008: CML confirmed, start Gleevec 400mg

• Oct. 31, 2008: sent home when WBC reached 121k

• On/off, reduced dose Gleevec for 7 months

• April 2009: Started Sprycel 100mg

• Sept. 2009: PCRU 0.000

• Sept. 2011: after 2 years steady PCRU & taking Sprycel 100mg before bed, quit Sprycel (with permission)

• Currently: still steady PCRU, testing every 6 months 🤗

— Fatigue, hearing loss continue, alas, but I prefer to think it is all getting better!

#7 chrissy778

chrissy778

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTroy, New York

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:09 PM

So I was undetectable for a few months.. Started taking  probiotics and my recent PCR is now 0.050 Do you think this could have effected it al all. My Dr has told me to stop the probiotics he said he has never heard of it but strange things can happen... Just really scared and praying my next result is lower..

#8 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:49 PM

I drink a glass of Kefir 4-5 times pr week.

It contains A+B and LGG type of probiotics.

No problems with Gleevec so far.

My stomach is still shit though, literally :o

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users