6 replies to this topic

#1 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:42 PM

In the last 3 months I have been taking a reduced dose of Sprycel.  I was originally on 100mg.  Anyway, I am beginning to feel a crunching sensation under my ribs above my stomach.  I am wary because I had something similar to this right before dx almost 6 years ago. (My spleen and liver were very enlarged--ironically I felt well despite and it appeared to happen suddenly).  And ironically, except for some extreme hip and joint pain that comes and goes (hope it is not the cells proliferating again, but I never had bone pain, bruising, night sweats or any of the typical symptoms), I feel very well.

I can feel the crunching standing or sitting and esp. after taking a deep breath (I first noticed it while singing arias the other day).  It is very bothersome.  It feels like my ribs are scraping against something or something is scraping against my ribs.

I was wondering if anyone gets this or has gotten this and what it may be.  I am so fearful that the reduced dose is causing the CML to become very active again and blowing up my spleen and liver (I can sometimes feel it on the right side of my ribs too).   I know CML is not supposed to go that fast, but I have had my 5 years progression free.

I am due for a well visit next month.  If my doctor cannot feel anything, what kind of test could I ask her for?  I am also terrified of another cancer.

Any input would be much appreciated!

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

From your description, especially the arias singing thingy, it sounds most like fluid build-up around the diaphragm (subpulmonic effusion).  When this happens the fluid pushes on the diaphragm and the junk n' stuff near it, compressing them and causing them to jostle each other (crunching sounds) and push on the ribs.  I think the deep breathing causing pain as you described is an important clue, which especially happens when singing Madame Butterfly arias such as lo so che sue dolore.

http://radiopaedia.o...lmonic-effusion

Probably should have an xray of the area done.

You said: "I am wary because I had something similar to this right before dx almost 6 years ago."  You were pregnant -- that was "womb effusion".  Pregnancy jostling happens.

Despite your continued attempts to convince otherwise, I still believe you will survive to see your grandchildren.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W1_ArwfbL0&list=PLo_oyztdj7exkDtuaorgUZ6lM_xO_A-zj&index=13

Edited by Trey, 30 October 2015 - 10:55 AM.

#3 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:26 PM

Thanks again Trey for putting me straight.  I had to cancel my last visit with the hem/onc due to them scheduling me at the time I take my kids to school and they don't seem to have any other appointments.  They are supposed to call me back...crickets.  I really don't want to keep calling them.  So, the xray may be on the back burner.  I had an xray and tests over the summer to check for PAH and fluid in my lungs.  It came out negative.  I am still worried.  I keep on thinking tumors.  I sure hope it is just gas.  BTW, my baby was just 1 year when I was dx.  So, the womb was empty.  It was just the spleen a growing.  My liver was very enlarged too.  I should just go in for a blood test to calm my nerves.  I feel as if the CML is starting up again.  The slight rushing in my ear has also started and I am losing weight (but I did change my diet--veganish).  Perhaps 70mg is just too low.   I freak out easily, but I am pretty darned stubborn.  I will not let this crummy disease steal me away from my children before they grow up.  If anything, since I had my kids so late, I will probably die of old age before I see my grandkids.  Really getting to know my kids in their adulthood would be such a blessing and, dare I be so cheeky, retirement--that seems like a dream.   

#4 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:58 AM

Hi Tedsey, I have been sore on the right side of my ribcage for a few months. right at the top of my ribs I told the PA about it in July she was an idiot she felt my ribs and said I don't feel anything (of course not it wasn't her ribs being pushed on). I never thought about it being fluid Thanks again Trey I saw Onc last tuesday of course it didn't hurt then, but because of my history with the pe he had me get a chest x-ray and I'm off Sprycel for 2 weeks. Also I'm supposed to keep taking my water pill all the time. My rib isn't bothering me now so maybe there was a bit of fluid there.Doc said going off Sprycel for 2 weeks was my christmas present. Yippee!!!!

Tedsey you'll be hitting high C in no time I think we have to be monitored for fluid while we are on Sprycel, and maybe take a break from it but I would rather put up with this than go on another tki. I'm sure you will be fine, but everything is so scary when you have a disease like we do. Thank God for all the wonderful people on this board.  Billie

#5 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:56 PM

Tedsey - In rereading your original post, it sounds to me like you're getting overwhelmed by anxiety.  Man, have I ever been there!  Trouble is, it works so thoroughly on your head that it messes your body up, and the stuff you "imagine" is brought into "existence."  When I get in this fix, besides coming here, the thing that usually helps the most is to actually go to the doctor.  I just blurt it all out, trying to sound rational, but for sure I try not to let myself hold back or minimize.  The key is to be taken seriously, and that might include some tests.   Can someone else carpool your kids to school so you can get that x-ray?  Last thing - I have been on 70 mg Sprycel almost from the beginning of taking it four years ago, and although my descent has been turtlish (a word?) it has been steadily downwards.  I think you are probably on enough Sprycel to be knocking back the CML.  But again, the best way to alleviate all this anxiety is to go in and get some medical attention (and  PCR, maybe?)

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#6 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:36 PM

Hi Tedsey, I have been sore on the right side of my ribcage for a few months. right at the top of my ribs I told the PA about it in July she was an idiot she felt my ribs and said I don't feel anything (of course not it wasn't her ribs being pushed on). I never thought about it being fluid Thanks again Trey I saw Onc last tuesday of course it didn't hurt then, but because of my history with the pe he had me get a chest x-ray and I'm off Sprycel for 2 weeks. Also I'm supposed to keep taking my water pill all the time. My rib isn't bothering me now so maybe there was a bit of fluid there.Doc said going off Sprycel for 2 weeks was my christmas present. Yippee!!!!

Tedsey you'll be hitting high C in no time I think we have to be monitored for fluid while we are on Sprycel, and maybe take a break from it but I would rather put up with this than go on another tki. I'm sure you will be fine, but everything is so scary when you have a disease like we do. Thank God for all the wonderful people on this board.  Billie

Thanks Billie.  I don't think I'll ever reach high C.  My voice seems to be getting lower and lower as I age.  LOL  Maybe it is the Sprycel.  No pain and no shortness of breath.  It is so hard to be proactive.  My body has been a mystery to me and I am still angry at its rebellion.  I am now struggling with what kind of diet I should be on so I don't get another cancer or lose response.

All the best!

Teds

#7 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:04 PM

Tedsey - In rereading your original post, it sounds to me like you're getting overwhelmed by anxiety.  Man, have I ever been there!  Trouble is, it works so thoroughly on your head that it messes your body up, and the stuff you "imagine" is brought into "existence."  When I get in this fix, besides coming here, the thing that usually helps the most is to actually go to the doctor.  I just blurt it all out, trying to sound rational, but for sure I try not to let myself hold back or minimize.  The key is to be taken seriously, and that might include some tests.   Can someone else carpool your kids to school so you can get that x-ray?  Last thing - I have been on 70 mg Sprycel almost from the beginning of taking it four years ago, and although my descent has been turtlish (a word?) it has been steadily downwards.  I think you are probably on enough Sprycel to be knocking back the CML.  But again, the best way to alleviate all this anxiety is to go in and get some medical attention (and  PCR, maybe?)

Yes.  Anxiety will rear its ugly head from time to time if not way too often in me.  When I get like this, logic just flies out the window.  However, I just feel something is wrong.  I wish my doctor would call me back! I am overdue for my check up and PCR.  Anyway, I called another center.  They focus on nutrition which I think may help (promoting vegan and vegetarianism).  I have been trying vegan, but then I read an article that some meat is important too, especially fish.  Then supplements and vitamins work; they don't work.  Organic vs. conventional... Ahhhhhh! 

I am going nuts trying to prevent disease.  I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible.  Our whole medical establishment is not to prevent, but to treat (I mean, I am happy for the successes, namely TKIs, but I want to be cured!).  I don't want to be treated!  I don't want to get sick or sicker!  It is all a farce (with the exception of trying to prevent type 2 Diabetes and some bacterial and viral diseases maybe).  And everyone is blaming everyone.  Vegetarians on meat-eaters, thin people on overweight people, well people on sick people---the media just loves to find a villain and blame, blame, blame!

Doctors cannot prevent anything!  Most things are "wait and see" and often tests show zilch.  I guess I am jaded because I had extreme weight loss for 3 years and ran to doctors and all told me I was as healthy as a horse until my WBC came back high at a checkup and my spleen and liver enlarged in a few days!  I had no other symptoms.  As for a few popular diseases, even pap smears cannot detect ovarian cancers and mammograms miss many.  Numbers for prostate cancer may be bogus.  You have to wait until you have strange bleeding, lumps or pain before anything can be seen and then it may be too late.  I feel so hopeless and deflated.  I just want to do what is best to prevent more disease.  I do not know how to feed my children in a way so they won't get sick and feel like a monster allowing them treats because sugar is the new enemy, not fat!   There is so much conflicting information out there, my head is spinning!  The stress of it all will probably be my downfall more than anything I put in my mouth or exercise.

Take care,

Teds  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users