Photo

WOMEN issues! Men might want to skip this one! :)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mlk210

mlk210

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:48 PM

To all the ladies, I know there have been posts about monthly visits and flow. For me, my flow gets extremely heavy about an hour and a half after I take my Sprycel. This could be completely unrelated to the medicine. There are many reasons for me having a heavy flow. I had my thyroid out last September (so they keep me very suppressed (almost hyperthyroid)), I suffer from PCOS (meaning I'm not always regular). But I think it's odd that my flow has  bordered uncontrollable the last two days after I take my Sprycel. Last night it was the whole night into the morning. Around noon, I finally lightened up. I took my pill at 6:00pm and now it's back to HORRIBLE. 

Does this happen to anyone else?

7/2014 Diagnosed,8/14 Started 100mg Sprycel, 9/14 Thyroidectomy (thyroid cancer)

8/2015 Undetectable, 12/15 Plural Effusion (3 wk drug break)

1/2016 Started 70mg Sprycel, 3/16 Plural Effusion (4 wk drug break)

3/16 .014 after a wk w/o meds

4/16 Started 400mg Gleevec

4/16 Undetectable, 7/16 Undetectable, 10/16 Undetectable, 2/17 Undetectable, 5/17 Undetectable, 8/17 Undetectable

#2 tammielee

tammielee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:59 PM

call the dr. bleeding one of the major side effects.  if its odd it don't hurt to call and tell the dr.

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:18 PM

Since you're only 39 (on your profile) I'd check with the doc, too. That can also be a perimenapausal symptom but 39 seems to young to be there yet. I do remember that my periods got to the point that the flow was so heavy it was essentially over in a day or two, but that was before CML dx.

Good luck!

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:12 PM

You may want to read some of Tedsey's old posts about this:

http://community.lls...heavy +bleeding

http://community.lls...r/23780-tedsey/

http://community.lls...earch_in=forums

You will need to search on the topic and use Tedsey as the Author and CML as the area to search.  Yes, the search function sux.

Edited by Trey, 19 October 2015 - 07:18 PM.

#5 mlk210

mlk210

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:33 PM

Thank you for your responses and I'll definitely start searching posts by Tedsey. I went to the OB/GYN today. She gave me progesterone to slow down my period then she's giving me a biopsy to make sure nothing is wrong. So help me if I have a third cancer, I'm not sure what I'll do. Not like there's a choice other than handling it. I called my oncologist and they don't think it has anything to do with the Sprycel since I've been on it for over a year. My last visit to them, all my counts were in the normal range (a first for my red blood cells). My OB/GYN sent me to the lab to check them just in case (waiting on results). 

Thank you again everyone.

7/2014 Diagnosed,8/14 Started 100mg Sprycel, 9/14 Thyroidectomy (thyroid cancer)

8/2015 Undetectable, 12/15 Plural Effusion (3 wk drug break)

1/2016 Started 70mg Sprycel, 3/16 Plural Effusion (4 wk drug break)

3/16 .014 after a wk w/o meds

4/16 Started 400mg Gleevec

4/16 Undetectable, 7/16 Undetectable, 10/16 Undetectable, 2/17 Undetectable, 5/17 Undetectable, 8/17 Undetectable

#6 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:44 PM

Hi, mlk. . .

I'm on Sprycel and have had similar issues.  Extremely heavy bleeding, won't go into the details here but can send you a PM if you'd like.  Never had periods like this before cml.  I went to see a gynecologist and she found nothing wrong.  It's definitely a pain to deal with and extremely inconvenient.  But nothing more.  Hopefully your doc will come to the same conclusion.  Let me know if you want me to PM you.  Sometimes it just helps to know there are others out there going through the same stuff.

Marnie

#7 tammielee

tammielee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:46 AM

I'm glad you called and went to the dr.s . I was thinking about you.  I'm glad I don't have that problem any more..

#8 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:11 AM

mlk - Sounds totally like the perimenopausal hell that, weirdly, nobody ever talks about.  Hot flashes get all the press.  I have recently been reorganizing my medical files (too many boxes!) and I came across my various notes and timelines from that era.  Gosh, I was miserable.  How did I put up with all that?  Too busy managing teenagers' lives to think about me, I guess.  Anyway, I agree with hannabellemo that 39 seems a little on the young side for this stuff.  I doubt the TKI is causing your symptoms directly, but I suppose it's possible that you've been thrown forward prematurely into perimenopause.  I think Trey would have to comment on any scientific underpinning for that theory.  I'm glad you're seeing the ob/gyn about it.

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users