#1 melissaj35

melissaj35

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:36 AM

Hello everyone...

Just a little info before I get into my topic...... I have been on this battle for thirteen years and have taken gleevec (terrible side effects) and spyrcel (stopped responding with little side effects). I have now started Tasigna since July with bearable side effects except weight gain. Weight gain seems to be petty but the issue is I am already overweight and the extra pounds has caused my bloodpressure to rise and my fatigue to increase. I am very uncomfortable and my family has asked me several times "Why are you breathing like that". Has anyone on Tasigna increased in weight like this..... I have gained over ten pounds and can definitely feel the difference and will exercise help if this a side effect :( 

Gleevec: started in 2003 (terrible side effects)

Spyrcel: started in 2007 (did good up to July 2015 & stopped responding)

Tasigna: now taking (with little side effects)

#2 melissaj35

melissaj35

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:22 PM

Well,  I had a visit yesterday with my hematologist and I asked him about the weight gain. He did not believe it has anything to do with the medication so I suggested for me to get some exercise which he was okay with. I understand the medication normally cause weight loss in most but this is the fastest for me. I will just chuck it down as stress related :unsure: 

Gleevec: started in 2003 (terrible side effects)

Spyrcel: started in 2007 (did good up to July 2015 & stopped responding)

Tasigna: now taking (with little side effects)

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:40 PM

TKI drugs can cause the body to retain fluid (edema) which causes sudden weight gain.  If the fluid accumulates around the lungs (or diaphragm area) it causes breathing issues such as shortness of breath and shallow breathing.  You have both of these issues so you should consult a doc who knows something about these issues and probably have a chest Xray.

#4 Terran

Terran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationClovis CA

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:24 AM

I think the fatigue has slowed down my metabolism , but I think the meds stimulate my appetite. I suspect the leukemic cells are giving off an , "help I'm starving to death", signal as they die. I am struggling mightily to get my weight under control.

#5 tazdad08

tazdad08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:38 AM

Tasigna also can change or damage thyroid functions. I would have your family dr do a TSH screen. My thyroid is awful now. I have had thyroid medication adjusted a few times

Diagnosed in September 2011. Tried one year of Sprycel. Had great response. Became undetectable in a few months. Changed to Tasigna hoping for less side effects. Self medicated myself down to 20% dose and held for 3 years before becoming detectable again. It has been a journey that has helped me realize what life is about! I am all about a balanced life. I firmly agree with my decision to lower my dose. What is life if you aren't living? Mine will never be the way it was, but it is going to be as good as I can make it! Drs PRACTICE medicine, we can guide our dr to help us with a better life! Don't settle until it's acceptable to you!

#6 Merry7of9

Merry7of9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:00 AM

I've been on Tasigna for 16 months. I have not gained weight from it. I discovered that if I exercise regularly, I feel WAY better. I like to use an incline treadmill. 30 to 40 minutes a day, vigorous- I sustain an 80% of maximum H&R for 50% of the workout. I eat very healthy food and hike a lot, too. Benefits of exercise can not be over emphasized. Honestly, it may seem counterintuitive, but I feel more energetic and less tired when I regularly work out. It isn't going to hurt you, that's for sure. Only one warning: you might experience leg pain in the muscles of your thighs and calves. This is a reported side effect of Tasigna. I just skip a day when that happens, and then the problem subsides. I wish you the best of luck with this!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tasigna, weight gain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users