12 replies to this topic

#1 Noodle

Noodle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:10 PM

Yes, I'm an interloper from AML land.  I have been very impressed with this group and especially by the knowledge here.  It seems that there are true benefits of curcumin and CML management and I am curious if any here are aware of any benefits for AML in remission.

I am 29 months in remission with chemo only as a had a favorable sub-type Inversion 16 with no mutations-CKIT or FLT 3.  I have dipped my toe in very tentatively taking only 1000mg daily-Super Curcumin with Bioperine from Ageless Cures.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Blessings,

Julie

Blessings,

Julie

DXD 22 March 2013 AML M4 Inversion 16 Negative FLT 3 & CKIT

Induction 7+3 & 4 Rounds of HiDAC, lowered dose due to slow count recovery.

Qrtrly PCR & Phlebotomy for high iron stores

Almighty God is my redeemer and HEALER!!@

Psalm 103:1-5 — "Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits.... who heals all your diseases..

Mark 10:27 (New Living Translation) — Jesus looked at them intently and said, "Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But not with God. Everything is possible with God."

#2 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:15 AM

Yes, I'm an interloper from AML land.  I have been very impressed with this group and especially by the knowledge here.  It seems that there are true benefits of curcumin and CML management and I am curious if any here are aware of any benefits for AML in remission.

I am 29 months in remission with chemo only as a had a favorable sub-type Inversion 16 with no mutations-CKIT or FLT 3.  I have dipped my toe in very tentatively taking only 1000mg daily-Super Curcumin with Bioperine from Ageless Cures.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Blessings,

Julie

Julie,

There is a great deal of research on Curcumin for Leukemia, in general, and AML specifically. Here is a link to a support site that discusses a patients use of Curcumin; http://www.dailystre...-treatments-aml

Readers on this forum know I am a very strong believer in Curcumin's effectiveness as an adjunct therapy in CML. I take 8 grams of Curcumin a day - most days. 1 gram as you are doing is insufficient due to the low absorption of Curcumin through digestion. I have been taking Curcumin in this way for years. I have not turned yellow. 

Curcumin's role in its anti-cancer properties is in its down-regulating of key protein synthesis pathways needed for cancer proliferation. In addition - Cancer cells put out cytokines (proteins) that greatly increase the number of Regulatory T-cells (Tregs). Tregs in greater numbers suppress other T-cells (such as NK cells) from activating and attacking cancer cells. This regulation is quite necessary to prevent our immune system from attacking "self". Cancer cells cleverly use this mechanism to shut down our own immune systems ability to kill cancer. It is the cancer cells way of telling the body's immune system "I am self - don't attack'. Curcumin helps keep cancer cells more exposed to immune attack by down-regulating signals that tell the cancer to proliferate and upregulating other T-cells to attack. Like many "phytochemicals" (plants) - Curcumin has properties which assist the body's natural homeostasis mechanisms.

Curcumin's role:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3637266/

T-cell information

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2784904/

Curcumin is no cure, but patients report in myeloma, AML and CML cases that expansion of their cancers have stopped. 

In my own case, which was difficult in the early stages, my CML was brought under control only after I started taking Curcumin. In addition, I was able to reach significant remission on only a 1/5th the normal dose of the drug I was taking. And now I no longer take any drug and have been able to keep my status unchanged for the last 8 months. 

Curcumin is a tool. I believe it helps and certainly doesn't hurt. It is not a replacement for FDA approved therapy used in the treatment of cancer. I don't recommend people throw away their cancer drugs and take Curcumin instead. That would be stupid.

Also - consider checking your vitamin D level. Vitamin D helps activate your iummune's system other T-cells ( vitamin D level was pitifully low prior to my diagnosis. I have since raised it and keep it at high normal now (65 ng/ml). Again - not a cure, just additional support to help fight a terrible disease.

Each of us has to decide what's best for them. Some follow their doctors advice religiously. I prefer to read, learn and apply what makes sense for me in addition to working with my doctor. What I do is not clinically scientific (i.e. FDA approved, double blind, large population studies), but there is a lot of research science being done with Curcumin that suggests it could work. That was enough for me to try. All the best.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:58 AM

There are no clinically proven benefits from curcumin for CML or any leukemia.  All reported impacts on cancer cells are from tests in a petri dish at a lab, not inside the human body.  Lots of things work in a petri dish but not in the body.  

Mayo Clinic has a good summary on the issue:

http://www.mayoclini...in/faq-20057858

#4 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 13 September 2015 - 11:15 AM

There are no clinically proven benefits from curcumin for CML or any leukemia.  All reported impacts on cancer cells are from tests in a petri dish at a lab, not inside the human body.  Lots of things work in a petri dish but not in the body.  

Mayo Clinic has a good summary on the issue:

http://www.mayoclini...in/faq-20057858

Trey - you forgot mice:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3162943/

From the Mayo Clinic post you cite:

"Now some research suggests that curcumin may help prevent or treat cancer."

"Studies of curcumin in people are still in the early stages. Clinical trials are underway to investigate curcumin as a way to prevent cancer in people with precancerous conditions, as a cancer treatment, and as a remedy for signs and symptoms caused by cancer treatments."

The reason there are studies underway ... is BECAUSE research is suggesting it may help. In fact, a lot of research.

Clinical trials are expensive to conduct for a spice that will make no money for a pharmaceutical company.

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

#5 Noodle

Noodle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:48 PM

Thank you for all the great information. Scuba, I know you've mentioned different versions of curcumin in the morning and evening. Can you elaborate and provide the source where you purchase it.

Thanks

Julie

Blessings,

Julie

DXD 22 March 2013 AML M4 Inversion 16 Negative FLT 3 & CKIT

Induction 7+3 & 4 Rounds of HiDAC, lowered dose due to slow count recovery.

Qrtrly PCR & Phlebotomy for high iron stores

Almighty God is my redeemer and HEALER!!@

Psalm 103:1-5 — "Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits.... who heals all your diseases..

Mark 10:27 (New Living Translation) — Jesus looked at them intently and said, "Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But not with God. Everything is possible with God."

#6 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:09 PM

Thank you for all the great information. Scuba, I know you've mentioned different versions of curcumin in the morning and evening. Can you elaborate and provide the source where you purchase it.

Thanks

Julie

Julie,

PM me and I'll reply. 

#7 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:38 PM

Mice do not get human leukemia.

The cancer that Mayo spoke about is not leukemia.  Cancer is not a single entity.

There are no clinically proven benefits from curcumin for CML or any leukemia.

#8 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:35 PM

Mice do not get human leukemia.

The cancer that Mayo spoke about is not leukemia.  Cancer is not a single entity.

There are no clinically proven benefits from curcumin for CML or any leukemia.

No... there are not (clinically proven benefit). But I take it anyway. And will continue to do so. No progression since February. Next PCR test later this week.

#9 rct

rct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:47 AM

Somebody needs to call India and tell them all of their really difficult cases, like 40% of their CML, are imaginary.

#10 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:52 AM

Somebody needs to call India and tell them all of their really difficult cases, like 40% of their CML, are imaginary.

It takes a lot of Curcumin for effectiveness to be observed. Most people in India eat the spice Turmeric which contains at best - 3% Curcumin.

Additional info on Curcumin (as well as omega-3):

http://www.theeagle....9fccd4f578.html

Curcumin is not a cure - not a replacement for TKI. But it may be helpful - helpful in assisting a TKI do its job better. 

In my case - I suppose I am just lucky that I can go 8 months without any TKI and my CML remains barely detectable - no progression. Just lucky I guess.

I'll be the first to admit failure on this if and when my CML comes roaring back. Meanwhile I continue to take Curcumin ... and omega 3... and vitamin D3 ... and vitamin C ... and Shiitake mushrooms! 

#11 rct

rct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:02 AM

I posted a link to a legitimate, valid news story about the cost of cancer drugs with specific mention of the first TKI and the one that most still take.  It was nuked completely.  My attempts to find it led to my privlidges at this forum being "invalid".  I emailed this forum and actually got a phone call at my desk at work.  "You can't post links".  Period.  This just happened couple weeks ago.  No links in here, that's what I was told, that was why the post was nuke and that was why my credentials were suspended and if I hadn't contacted them would not have been re-instated..

Weird innit?  This thread alone is full of links to at best questionable medical value to at best three or four people that have CML, and all these links are just fine.

I do not get it sometimes.  Start a sub forum?  Why not just tell the people that don't park their Unicorn out in front of the CML Rainbow Office to stay away if you just want all My Litlle Pony stuff in here?

This one will probably vanish too, along with my credentials.  Good luck to you all, I hope it goes as well as it can for as long as it can for all of you.

rct

#12 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:44 AM

Additional information on India cancer rates in comparison to U.S.:

https://www.scgcorp...._written_11.pdf

Table 1 is of interest. Another table I have is a PDF file which I can't link here. It includes statistic on Leukemia in which cases per 100,000 people are 1/5 in India as in the U.S.

It is noteworthy that cancer rates in India are going up (dramatically in some cities) as western diet is replacing the more traditional Indian diet including heavy use of Turmeric. 

#13 Sandrea

Sandrea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationRussia, Siberia, Novosibirsk

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:47 AM

I found an interesting article, perhaps someone had seen it, I was impressed by the picture.

Wondering how to convert these micromoles into usual dose?

Article: Curcumin potentiates the anti-leukemia effects of imatinib by downregulation of the AKT/mTOR pathway and BCR/ABL gene expression in Ph+ acute lymphoblastic leukemia

Cytotoxic effects of curcumin alone or in combination with imatinib:

Attached File  Cytotoxic effects of curcumin alone or in combination with imatinib.jpg   140.06KB   7 downloads

Diagnosed 1 April 2015. WBC 86000; b2a2 (p210) transcript 
on Hydrea for 2 months, then generic Gleevec 400mg (06/06/15)
CCyR in April 2016

12/22/2016  PCR:  0.49% (IS)           18 Month
03/29/2017  PCR:  0.68% (not IS)     21 Month
06/06/2017  PCR:  1.62% (not IS)     24 Month
06/20/2017  increased dose of imatinib to 600mg
10/30/2017  PCR:  0.15% (not IS)     28 Month

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users