9 replies to this topic

#1 dede5

dede5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:21 PM

I posted something awhile back about this, but have an update (kind of). I was diagnosed with CML four years ago. Was in accelerated stage and having lots of symptoms. There was never any question about it, once I saw my doctor. Last November, I was tested for CLL and the test came back negative. I assumed that was the end of it, but lymph level has been steadily climbing since then. It was 6.92 at last visit. Onc tells me we are now keeping an eye on it. Don't know if it's too early to detect, or what, since it's just routine labs, instead of having something concrete. The not knowing is really weighing on me right now, but nothing I can do until we see where it leads.  :ph34r:

Dx: 01 March 2011

Sprycel 100 mg per day since dx 

MMR: July 2013

numerous side effects 

Thankful for the gift of each new day, and try to live it to the fullest  :D

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:58 PM

Sprycel can increase lymph count:

"Dasatinib, a broad-spectrum tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI), predominantly targets BCR-ABL and SRC oncoproteins and also inhibits off-target kinases, which may result in unexpected drug responses. We identified 22 patients with marked lymphoproliferation in blood while on dasatinib therapy........In conclusion, we show that marked clonal expansion of cytotoxic LGL [lymph] cells seemed to be in a significant proportion of dasatinib treated patients."

http://www.nature.co...leu200946a.html

What caused the suspicion of CLL previously?  If it was only the lymph count, your docs should read about how Sprycel increases lymph counts.

#3 dede5

dede5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:13 PM

That's it as far as I know. Do you know if the increased lymph can affect immunity, or is that a non-issue in such cases? I know I should've asked the doc, but this caught me by surprise and I didn't think of it until later.

numerous side effects 

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:34 PM

Sprycel can increase the numbers of lymph NK cells which may increase their effectiveness in doing their job.  This could possibly include attacking leukemic WBCs which may explain why Sprycel works well.  After it is withdrawn the effect on NK cells is also removed.   

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23108877

#5 dede5

dede5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:53 PM

Thank you for the info and the links. I know I need to get more info from him, but I've been blind sided both times and couldn't think of any questions. I'll have something specific to ask him about now.  :)

numerous side effects 

#6 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWilloughby oh

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:39 AM

Hi,

I am on Sprycel and have been for about 4 years I think now. My lymph counts started to increase pretty early on and have increased to quit a bit but my onc knows Sprcel does this, he did test me once a year or so ago for CLL but it came back negative and he just is watching it they stay up kind of high in my book . I have not had problems with infections either.

Wish you the best of luck! Try not to worry too much I know that is so hard to do.

Cathy

Cathy

DX 5-2010  Started normal hydra then Gleevec for 9 months stopped working

Tasigna after 5 pills pancreatis  numbers jumped up quickly

Started Sprycel 100, 8-2010  for a 3 years went down to 50 mg numbers at one point really jumped up quickly

currently on 70 mg for last 2-3 years trying to get onc to reduce dose Numbers never stabilize never MMR till 4-2017 bearly and jump up and down in and out of MMR stayed MMR for 3 months then

After 6 years on sprycel fluid on both lungs, drained still have some fluid on lungs, and currently off drug 4 months now

numbers lower then ever go figure I've never been this low of a number 

last 2 tests .0686 and .0181 !!

#7 dede5

dede5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:22 AM

Hi,

I am on Sprycel and have been for about 4 years I think now. My lymph counts started to increase pretty early on and have increased to quit a bit but my onc knows Sprcel does this, he did test me once a year or so ago for CLL but it came back negative and he just is watching it they stay up kind of high in my book . I have not had problems with infections either.

Wish you the best of luck! Try not to worry too much I know that is so hard to do.

Cathy

Hi Cathy, can you tell me about what your lymph count is now? Is it about like mine (6.92) or does it go much higher than that? Just wondering what to expect. Thanks for telling me your story.

numerous side effects 

#8 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWilloughby oh

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:26 AM

Hi, I only get tested every 3 months finally now so I'm sorry I don't remember I can look and let you know tomorrow as long as I remember to look . I'm going today to get tested and it takes about a week to come back. i will definietly let you know.

I really think its okay it's just how sprycel works.

Cathy

Cathy

Started Sprycel 100, 8-2010  for a 3 years went down to 50 mg numbers at one point really jumped up quickly

currently on 70 mg for last 2-3 years trying to get onc to reduce dose Numbers never stabilize never MMR till 4-2017 bearly and jump up and down in and out of MMR stayed MMR for 3 months then

After 6 years on sprycel fluid on both lungs, drained still have some fluid on lungs, and currently off drug 4 months now

#9 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWilloughby oh

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

Hi I checked and looks like mine is at 3.22 so not as high as your at mine bounces around
Try not to worry I'm sure your onc will keep an I on this
Take care

Cathy

#10 dede5

dede5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:53 PM

Thank you for checking and for letting me know. Also for the pep talks. I really appreciate it  :)

numerous side effects 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users