• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PaulB

PaulB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:08 PM

Hi everyone!  I have been a CML survivor for just over five years now and I am on Tasigna in remission. 

Now my problem and I would welcome any advice.  Unfortunately, my wife has decided she wants a divorce and I am on her insurance.  I will be taken off at the end of September.  I am currently self-employed.  I need to find an afordable of an insurance policy as possible asap that obviously will cover my medications.  I live in Texas.

Anyone have any ideas on what insurance company I should contact, the plan, etc   All information is appreciated.

I have contacted my local lls office patient services and I am just waiting to talk to them but really need some help from ya'll (as we say in the south).

Thanks,

PaulB

#2 chriskuo

chriskuo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:56 PM

Your situation is what the ACA is designed for. Get on the health care insurance exchange in your state. The exchange will allow you to identify and compare all of your options. The deductibles vary depending on the premium you pay. You will be eligible for a federal tax credit depending on your income. Every county has health care counselors to help with any questions.

The great thing is you don't have to worry about pre-existing conditions.

#3 DebDoodah22

DebDoodah22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:04 PM

Texas ACA is not so great...since our governor refused the Medicaid stuff...please post what you find out because as I understand it our options here in Texas are limited.. True, the pre existing condition thing is off the table, but what you are going to need is good prescription coverage...

Since you are self employed, have you considered moving to Colorado or another more ACA friendly environment?

#4 chriskuo

chriskuo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:36 AM

Some states may have better prescription drug benefits than others, but all ACA plans have to meet minimum Federal standards.

There are limits on deductibles and maximum out-of-pocket costs.  In addition, the tax credits to reduce premiums are set at the Federal level.

Texas may be trying to scare people from using ACA because they don't want it to be successful.  The main thing that Texas did to hurt its poorer residents is to not expand its Medicaid coverage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users