#1 sunshineC

sunshineC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNottingham, PA

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:01 PM

I am so discouraged.  I just had another 3 month check-in and I thought for sure I would reach MMR.  Diagnosed and put on 100mg Sprycel first week in March last year.  I don't have my records with me from that first oncologist, but from switching in October I went from 0.70 to 1.4 in January.  I really do not want to admit this (I feel so stupid and I have no reasonable explanation for myself), but for those 3 months, I took my pills haphazardly.  Please don't yell at me, I have done a number on myself, believe me.  Like I said, I don't even know why.  Anyway, once I saw what the result of that was, I have not missed a pill.  My Feb result was 1.27, Apr was 0.47, and now July 27 result was 1.00.  I understand it's not REAL bad, but because I knew the answser why I had gone up before and been so careful ever since, I thought for sure I would hit my mark.  The onc says because I'm 'bouncing', we'll stay with the Sprycel and see what happens in Oct but he is looking at the possibility of changing my meds.  I just hate the thought of that.  I had such a hard time getting thru the side effects of Sprycel, I didn't even attempt going back to work until June of last year, and with 'extra' stomach problems and tests, I have just recently been able to work full weeks.  I'm so afraid of being stuck on that couch for months again.

Also, I had an echocardiogram because I still get out of breath more than I ever used to.  Usually when I am in a big hurry, or for distances, but sometimes when I'm just sitting.  I have not been able to talk to the onc about the results because he just left for vacation but one result showed 'Increased (hyperdynamic) left ventricular ejection fraction. Normal regional wall motion. EF estimated at 70-75%. Impaired relaxation filling pattern for age - stage 1'.  The onc did say we needed to talk about it but nothing major.  May be looking at meds, but definitely needed monitoring.

Some days I can make jokes about just falling apart - one piece at a time.  And still being very grateful for where I am at and what I have.  And other days, like today, I just get very down and discouraged.  I need to be loosing weight also and that's very hard in the 'down days'.  I want to just not care.

Anyway, I just wanted to share with people I knew would understand.  Thanks to ALL of you for always being here.  I read a lot, just post every now and then.

#2 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:10 PM

Sunshine, as to your bouncing, there could be any number of factors - when your samples get processed and all that jazz.  Also, your numbers are all pretty near to each other, the April one probably being the outlier, if you had to choose.  They're all around 1.0 which is not terrible, as you say, but I know what you mean about wanting to be MMR "on time" at 18 months.  I think it's just around the corner for you.  You're at about 17 months now?  I was 22 months when I reached MMR on Sprycel and I am now (just now) PCRU four years later.  Some of us are just slower.  You're already in a safer place than you were when you started out, and you're going to get even better.  You already know not to blame yourself about skipping pills - it's a very human failing - there's an odd counterintuitive thing that kicks in when you realize you have to take a pill every day forever - something inside you makes you want to rebel.  Anyway, the truth is probably that your Oct - Jan "jump" was not due to spotty pill-taking anyway - I don't think CML reacts that fast.  But at any rate, I think your onc is right to hold steady and wait until your next PCR to determine the course ahead.  Remember, not all transitions to other TKI's will be as bad as the experience you had with Sprycel - just because you had a rough time adjusting that time doesn't mean you will again. Many people on here have had nary a blip, or even instant relief on changing.  I was one of those people sick and miserable on Gleevec from the very first pill, so when I switched to Sprycel I waited for the reported headaches - nothing.  My puffy eyes got noticeably better within a week.  I did get some weird skin bumpiness patches and peeling cycles but they ended.  All in all, my med change was a positive one and yours - if you need to change - may be a pleasant surprise as well.  Look at it this way - you have just as much chance to have a good experience as you do a bad one.  True, right?  So keep your eye on the half of the glass that's full.  But as I said, I'll bet that you're just in a plateau with your numbers and that MMR is coming right up for you soon.

As to the cardiac stuff, I'll let more medically savvy people chime in here.  But I do think it's terrible to let you twist in the wind without an explanation of your echo.  These docs!  I'm convinced that the doctor-patient perspectives run parallel and never intersect.  While he's in Cancun for two weeks, you're in a sleepless fret for what feels like two months.  Cling to what he said about "nothing major," discipline yourself to stay off the Internet, and vow to demand a complete explication of the findings and what they mean going forward for you, ASAP.

I know what you mean about feeling like you're falling apart, one piece at a time.  The doctors and medical technicians who write the reports - millions of them - and see these test results and patients day after day have no idea what it feels like to be the very specific individual whose name is at the top of the paper.  There was a period of time there where every test I took revealed a suspicious something else that led to another test - and another WAIT - to rule something out.  I had a couple of years that were just one darn thing after another, and I was so worn out in spirit that I couldn't think or see straight.  I honestly think I had a form of PTSD.  Go ahead and let yourself feel down and discouraged - feel what you feel. We've all been there.  What you need is some good news and a way up and out.  You need to put together a few months in a row when nothing bad happens.  I think you are going to get that good news on your next PCR, and if you need to change meds - yay, we have several to choose from.  You're going to get an answer on the breathing thing and there will be something you can do.  You are not going to stay discouraged.  Things are going to get better.  No going back to that couch!  Unless it's the psychotherapist's couch - counseling can really help, no joke.  I was about at your point when I had a tearful hour with a cancer center counselor who gave me a name of a therapist - on the drive home I felt happy, truly happy through the tears, for the first time in almost two years.  Hope this helps; keep us posted.

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:03 PM

Your results are right at CCyR, which is not far from average for 16 months.  If the next one is down, all is well.

Your hyperdynamic left ventricular ejection fraction of 75% is not off by much, and is about normal by some measurements.  Could just be showing mild hypertension.  But watch for cardio-pulmonary edema around the heart which can put pressure on it and make it work harder.  That can weaken the heart over time. 

#4 sunshineC

sunshineC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNottingham, PA

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:10 PM

Thanks Kat73.  I felt so much better after reading your response.  I felt like you really understood all the feelings I was going thru.  Have had better days since then, and working on having many more.  And I think you're right - no one's going to have good days 100% of the time.  It's all about the ups and downs, and that's just plain life.  The trick I guess is to acknowledge the down time and just not stay there.  I've been fighting depression (on medication) for years and that's always the hardest part - getting back up.  But its people like you who help so much by making me feel like I'm not so different, and the bad times aren't going to last forever. 

And thanks to you Trey for all the information.  What would we all do without you?!!

#5 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:10 PM

Sunshine - Glad if I helped a bit.  I knew Trey would know something!  Be sure and let us know what you find out when your onc gets back from St. Bart's . . .

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users