5 replies to this topic

#1 JBow82

JBow82

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSouthern, NJ

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:04 AM

I am dealing with very localized pain in my lower, right side belly area. I've had multiple scans and even exploratory surgery. I've tried different diets but nothing has helped the pain (3 1/2 yrs now). I'm taking Sprycel 100mg daily and having great results! But I need to know what's your diet like while dealing with CML???

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:47 PM

Colonoscopy?

#3 JBow82

JBow82

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSouthern, NJ

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:42 AM

Yes, that was the first thing, after imaging showed nothing. I am currently recuperating from a hysterectomy last month that we thought would alleviate the pain. My dr. Just lowered my dosage to 70mg of Sprycel daily. I am hoping the lower dose along with a healthier diet does the trick. The Sprycel help page is clear on what not to eat... No hot food... No cold food. Did u have any problems with food while on treatment?

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

The Sprycel help page is clear on what not to eat... No hot food... No cold food.

What Sprycel help page said that?  Not accurate, of course.

There is not much in the lower right abdomen except bowels and attached appendix, with bladder and womb stuff sort of close by.  It is most likely associated with the intestines or maybe the appendix with low level pain.  The appendix harbors good bacteria so when the good bacteria gets wiped out in the colon the bacteria can be repopulated from the appendix. 

Were any diverticula found by the colonoscopy?  These are a major source of dull pains in the colon.  Most people over 50 have them. 

The TKI drugs cause a more rapid turnover of the intestinal lining since they are fast growing cells.  Whether this could cause pain may be different for each individual.

If your bowels do not move stuff along quickly enough, eat more foods that help. Fruits and beans are good for that.

Again, not much down there.  Probably something with the intestines.  I doubt food has much to do with it except if stuff is not moving along fast enough.  But it is always a good idea to eat well.

#5 dede5

dede5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:12 PM

I don't claim to be an expert on anything, but can speak from experience. I've been taking Sprycel 100 for 4.5 years. During that time, my system became very sluggish, pertaining to waste. I wondered where it could be going, because nothing was happening, not even getting urges. Hope that's not TMI, but getting to a point. After awhile, I started having severe pains in the area I can only describe as my core. It was so intense it would wake me up at night. I was getting very concerned about maybe having colon cancer. I started to add more raw veggies and fruits to my diet, but also had several doses of mag citrate (about 4 or 5 spread out over a month). I didn't drink the whole bottle at once, like they have you do for procedures. Just drank about 1/4 cup at a time. This helped a lot and now I take stool softeners regularly. Haven't had that pain since I was able to get relief. I'm just sharing my own personal experience; not trying to diagnose or treat anyone else.

Dx: 01 March 2011

Sprycel 100 mg per day since dx 

MMR: July 2013

numerous side effects 

Thankful for the gift of each new day, and try to live it to the fullest  :D

#6 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:52 PM

JBow82 - Did they clear you for endometriosis? I have read that the wandering tissue can attach and cause pain in all sorts of odd places in the abdomen.

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users