#21 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:58 PM

CML is the leukemia which starts highest in the blood making (hematopoietic) system.  Other leukemias start at lower levels.  This is why it was the most deadly leukemia before TKI drugs came along.  This also makes CML the hardest to cure by bone marrow transplant. 

CML is believed to begin with a translocation of genetic material in a very high level (pluripotent) blood stem cell.  Stem cells are those cells which are the "mother cells" for all others in their chain of succession.  There are many levels of dividing blood cells, including high level pluripotent blood stem cells, progenitor cells, precursor cells, blasts, and so on, to name only a few in the chain.  The "working level" blood cells cannot divide, so although they contain the leukemic genes, they cannot perpetuate the CML.  So CML must be continued by the dividing blood cells in the hierarchy.  Some leukemias start at lower level "stem" cells, but CML starts at the highest level blood stem cells.  This is known because all blood cells are affected by CML, including white, red, and platelets.  Other types of leukemias generally affect isolated portions of the blood cell chain.

http://treyscml.blog...ics-on-cml.html

For the very curious, there are alternate theories which can be mentioned:

1) That the original translocation could have occurred in a stem cell above the blood making system.  This would be in a type of endothelial cell called a primitive hemangioblastic cell which originally formed the blood vessels and blood cells.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/26105049

2) That the translocation could have occurred in a lower level blood making stem cell and that originating leukemic cell may have gained pluripotent status by reversing itself into a higher level stem cell using the BCR-ABL pathway. 

3) That the Borg implanted the seeds of the translocation when they forced Jean-Luc Picard (aka Locutus of Borg) to become part of their Borg Collective.

http://en.memory-alp...Locutus_of_Borg

#22 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

So right now we (a select few) are halfway there to being perfect?

#23 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:50 PM

Define "perfect".  Are you talking about "we select few" as you being Borg?  Or maybe you are channelling Shakespeare's Henry V at the battle of Agincourt?

#24 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:37 PM

Ah come on Trey my brain cells don't work that well anymore. All I know about Henry the V is that he cut off Marie Antoinettes Head.

By the select few I meant us cmlers, we are truly in a league of our own. Hated Shakespear he talked funny. To be or not to be that is the question? DUH!! I can't trust you anymore because I don't think Agincourt is a question.

#25 Anti-Matters

Anti-Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:15 PM

Seems apropos.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition."

Henry V, Act IV Scene 3

#26 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:35 AM

Oh Boy AM not you too, how about man of la mancha or les miserale or phantom, equss anything but shakespeare. I think they wrote that way, so we could be tortured in high school trying to decipher all that stuff.

I mean really, Romeo Romeo where for art thou Romeo, What Juliet was really saying was Romeo, where the hell were you, you better not be messing around with that big boobed bar bitch down at the Pub again." Here my sweet have a cup of brew, I added a little something to it, it'll help you sleep."

#27 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:10 PM

I had a foster that had to do a pictorial on the Man of La Mancha.  I haven't heard that title for years.  I realize  I haven't missed it.

#28 Anti-Matters

Anti-Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:19 PM

I can do that, too.

"Not well? What is sickness to the body of a knight-errant? 
What matter wounds? For each time he falls he shall rise 
again... and woe to the wicked! Sancho! My armor, my TKI!"

#29 missjoy

missjoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 04:57 PM

Thanks a lot Trey!

#30 Leuk Skywalker

Leuk Skywalker