#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

[Edit: Original poster deleted question about active duty with CML.  Guess he re-thought the post.]

I thought there was one other active duty military here, but maybe he just doesn't check in very often.  I cannot recall his user name and a word search came up empty except for your name.  But there are a number of former military, some treated by the VA or TRICARE and some treated at private practices.

You may find the CML + TKI drugs cause fatigue, muscle pain, and bone pain at first.  Many of us here who were otherwise in very good physical condition prior to CML found these somewhat debilitating for the first 6 months or more, but after that most returned to high levels of exercise again.  It helps to exercise through the pain and that appears to help get a person through it quicker.  But we are all different, and some find the fatigue to be a longer term issue.

Overall your physical capabilities should allow a military career, but the Onc has to clear you as worldwide deployable.  Whether you would be accepted as a pilot candidate is less certain.  That is always a crap shoot. 

Anyhow, welcome and we hope you are able to pursue your military career.

Edited by Trey, 26 July 2015 - 08:41 PM.

#3 wvu83

wvu83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:39 AM

[Edit: Original poster deleted question about active duty with CML.  Guess he re-thought the post.]

I thought there was one other active duty military here, but maybe he just doesn't check in very often.  I cannot recall his user name and a word search came up empty except for your name.  But there are a number of former military, some treated by the VA or TRICARE and some treated at private practices.

You may find the CML + TKI drugs cause fatigue, muscle pain, and bone pain at first.  Many of us here who were otherwise in very good physical condition prior to CML found these somewhat debilitating for the first 6 months or more, but after that most returned to high levels of exercise again.  It helps to exercise through the pain and that appears to help get a person through it quicker.  But we are all different, and some find the fatigue to be a longer term issue.

Overall your physical capabilities should allow a military career, but the Onc has to clear you as worldwide deployable.  Whether you would be accepted as a pilot candidate is less certain.  That is always a crap shoot. 

Anyhow, welcome and we hope you are able to pursue your military career.

You seem to be the "go to guy" for info, so I'll ask you the same question I posted on another thread. Is it possible to get Tasigna from up North without moving there?

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:18 PM

Possible?  Maybe.  Legal?  No.  Violates patent and import/export laws.

Just so you also understand, moving permanently to Canada does not assure totally free health care.  Each Province has its own rules.  Certain services and prescriptions require additional health coverage at a cost.  I am not the expert on such things, I have just read what others have said about it.

http://www.cic.gc.ca...fter-health.asp

#5 chriskuo

chriskuo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:09 AM

On this board, almost everybody is able to get access to TKIs in the US without undue hardship.  What is it about Canada that makes you consider it as a source of TKIs?

Are you expecting to get generic Gleevec sooner at a bargain price?  Please let us know what is behind your question.

#6 soundoff

soundoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:47 AM

I did see his post but I dont think we have any millitary CML'ers on the board right now. I know they are out there though. I also wanted to tell him there are MMA fighters and Marathon 1st place winners with CML and not to be discouraged.

Soundoff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users