• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OneDay@aTime

OneDay@aTime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:50 PM

My mom was diagnosed with CML in 2009 and has since been on Gleevec daily. According to her Cancer doctor, she has reached a full molecular response which is great.

But, in the past 3-4 months, she has started having issues with digesting her food and is started to have problems with vomiting undigested food. Thus, resulting in her GI doctor diagnosing her with gastroparesis.  He says there is nothing that can be done about it. Is there anyone else taking Gleevec or other cancer drugs that are having similar issues? If so, have you found a way to resolve them? I would appreciate any feedback on this topic. 

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:24 PM

Gastroparesis is very rare.  It is unlikely caused by Gleevec, but having Gleevec in a stomach which does not adequately "grind and push" would be a problem.  If she is vomiting the Gleevec she is not getting adequate dosage. 

I would suggest she take the Gleevec with only fluids (juices or such) apart from meals.  Gleevec is mostly absorbed through the stomach wall, so she will get most of the dosage and be less likely to vomit with only juices/fluids in the stomach.

As for dealing with gastroparesis in general, she would do well to eat things which are well pulverized before swallowing.  Chewing until no solid pieces remain is necessary since her stomach is not grinding the food.  Also, there is always the blender.  She should not swallow any chunks of anything. 

Hope all goes well for her.

#3 snowbear

snowbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:15 PM

Oh gosh, your mother has all my sympathies.  Gastroparesis, and all of the related gastrointestinal dymotility disorders, are a beast. 

I had my experience with it before CML and Gleevec came along.  It was made worse after gallbladder surgery.  At one time, I was not able to eat any solid food for several weeks.  I lost 40 pounds.  Even now, I do best on a soft food diet similar to what is recommended for Crohn's/Colitis patients. I also have issues with my colon and take Linzess & Dulcolax daily which helps the abdominal distention and preventing ileus. I take acid blockers for reflux and Carafate as needed for stomach pain.

Did you mom have recent abdominal surgery?  If so, her gastroparesis may improve somewhat over time.  Diabetes, autoimmune, and mito diseases are more causes.  You have to be careful with medications - especially narcotics, antidepressants, blood pressure/heart meds, and any other meds that slow down motility.   And sometimes, docs just don't know why it happens.

Look up "gastroparesis diet".  There are different phases of diet recommendations and it may be helpful in finding what she can and can't tolerate.  Unfortunately, there's not much medically that can be done.  

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:02 PM

....and by the way, Gleevec is far more likely to cause "speedy bowels" than slow ones, further showing that Gleevec is not likely to be a culprit here.

#5 OneDay@aTime

OneDay@aTime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:10 AM

Message for Trey, do you have CML or are you a medically trained person? I was not sure from your comments. Thank you by the way. You just seemed knowledgeable and very matter of fact. (Not a bad thing... :)...) Also, thank you Snowbear for your input as well. Sorry to hear about the challenges you are facing as well.

I am new to this website, so I am still learning how it all works. It is nice to get feedback from others regarding their experience. Proof that the internet can be used for some things good!

My mom has done so well for the past 6 yrs until now, and this has thrown a monkey wrench in the whole thing!  :(  It has been very unsettling to her of course. She worries at times about getting stomach cancer or another kind from taking the Gleevec. CML is her second cancer by the way. First was thyroid.

I did do some research online for natural treatments and diets for gastroparesis, and my mom just started with those. So far things have calmed down and she has stopped vomiting. We are using ginger with her meals.  According to Dr. Andrew Wiel, it helps the stomach do it's churning if I remember the article correctly.  And, Nutri Bullet has some smoothies she can make, as well as recommendations for eating for her condition. 

Yes, I knew about the "speedy bowels" from the Gleevec, but she has had few symptoms with the Gleevec other than occasional leg cramps or water bags under her eyes. We started her on de-tox tea named Flor-essence by Flora two weeks after she got home from the hospital. Her legs were swollen and always having kidney pain until she started the tea. Then, almost all of her symptoms disappeared with that natural treatment, and she has been doing that for 6 years now. 

I appreciate your encouragement and will share your comments with her tomorrow. Have a restful night! ^_^

#6 Gail's

Gail's

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:40 AM

Onedayatatime, is your mom diabetic? Gastroparesis is seen in diabetics sometimes. A couple of thoughts about treatment. Unlike what your doc said, there are things that can be done to help. Diet like Trey said, avoiding high fiber foods which tend to sit in the stomach till thrown up. Some people use prescription strength pancreatic enzymes. Reglan can also be of help. It reduces nausea, but seems to also speed up stomach emptying. There's some research being done on an implant that stimulates the emptying of the stomach into the intestines. Stomach issues are a bugger but hope your mom is feeling better soon.
Diagnosed 1/15/15
FISH 92%
BMB 9:22 translocation
1/19/15 began 400 mg gleevec
1/22/15 bcr 37.2 IS
2/6/15 bcr 12.5 IS
3/26/15 bcr 10.3 IS
6/29/15 bcr 7.5 IS
9/24/15 bcr 0.8 IS
1/4/16 bcr 0.3 IS
Started 100 mg dasatinib, mutation analysis negative
4/20/16 bcr 0.03 IS
8/8/16 bcr 0.007 IS
12/6/16 bcr 0.002 IS
Lowered dasatinib to 70 mg
4/10/17 bcr 0.001 IS
Lowered dasatinib to 50 mg
7/5/17 bcr 0.004 IS
8/10/17 bcr 0.001. Stopped TKI in prep for September surgery.
9/10/17 bcr 0.006
10/10/17 bcr 0.088

#7 OneDay@aTime

OneDay@aTime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:45 PM

Gail, thanks for responding. Life has been a bit crazy and have not had the time to respond to your comments.

No, my mom is not diabetic. She has been applying some of the eating changes Trey suggested. Also, the ginger capsules with meals has helped as well. Everything is status quo at this time.

Thanks for your interest.

ODAAT

#8 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:32 AM

I used to drink a ginger cordial when i took the Gleevec to help settle my stomach, nothing like what has troubled your mum though.

Glad she is doing better. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users